KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
First reported KitKAt bug after update!
I downloaded and ran the KitKat update and when I rebooted my phone I will get the following message in the screenshot below.
I googled the error message and tried the fix posted in the past... disable/enable download in apps, reset app preferences... nothing fixed it.
So I decided to backup my photos and wipe the phone and no more error message.
But I only installed a few apps... Textra, Yahoo Mail, WhatsApp, SwiftKey Pro & Beta.
I disabled all the bloatware in Apps.
Then I customized my app drawer by grouping apps in a couple of folders.
Then I rebooted and got the message!!
Tried goind backwards like removing folders in app drawer and reset app prefs again and still there.
Ugh, I'm gonna have to rewipe because it bothers me but wanted to report it and if anyone gets this too and find a fix, please pass it along.

Screenshot_2014-02-23-19-56-44_zps97b93707.png

bbj71370

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I got it too. Not sure what the deal is with this error. What does it affect? Is it that big a deal? I'm not going to wipe my phone if it's only going to come back, any suggestions or help would be great. Maybe they'll have to send out a fix, not that it will be anytime soon!

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's a big deal for me that it irritates me to see it at boot lol. Doesnt seem to affect anything once you press ok to get rid of it.
I wiped my phone again since I didnt have much set up afterwards and taking it step by step.

If I had to guess, I think maybe something to do with setting up folders in the app drawer or folders on my home screen.
Or one of the few programs I installed that I listed above... Swiftkey/Swiftkey Beta? Textra?
Do you by chance have any of the apps installed I listed? create folders in the app drawer? Looking for a common factor.

A sign that you have the issue... If you boot the phone and the lock screen does not go away in the 15-30 seconds it normally does if you dont touch the screen and just hangs there... usually means when you swipe, you'll see the error message. So something conflicting the lock screen.

I got it too. Not sure what the deal is with this error. What does it affect? Is it that big a deal? I'm not going to wipe my phone if it's only going to come back, any suggestions or help would be great. Maybe they'll have to send out a fix, not that it will be anytime soon!

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Darn it... It's SwiftKey! The moment I installed it and tested ok and rebooted... Error message. Uninstalled it and it's gone. Darn cause I'm not a fan of stock keyboard.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a big deal for me that it irritates me to see it at boot lol. Doesnt seem to affect anything once you press ok to get rid of it.
I wiped my phone again since I didnt have much set up afterwards and taking it step by step.

If I had to guess, I think maybe something to do with setting up folders in the app drawer or folders on my home screen.
Or one of the few programs I installed that I listed above... Swiftkey/Swiftkey Beta? Textra?
Do you by chance have any of the apps installed I listed? create folders in the app drawer? Looking for a common factor.

A sign that you have the issue... If you boot the phone and the lock screen does not go away in the 15-30 seconds it normally does if you dont touch the screen and just hangs there... usually means when you swipe, you'll see the error message. So something conflicting the lock screen.

I am also getting that message on reboot. (But it seems to be no big deal, as it goes away after you click on it with no adverse effect.)
I do not have folders in app drawer; I do have folders on home screen.
I do not have Textra, but I do have Swiftkey and Swiftkey Beta, and Whatsapp.

bbj71370

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I also have swift key,but no folders on the app drawer only on one of the home screens. So let's see if swift key puts out a bug fix for this. There must be something there. We can't be the only three!

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you have the app installed, you may want to go to the app store and go to the swiftkey app and see if there is a place to report bug or review it and give it one star. I am keeping the app off just because the message bugs me but i did write a one star review to see if that will help. eh, it happens with new updates... propbably effects just the g2 somehow with the lock/knock screen and they dont know until someone tells them.

I also have swift key,but no folders on the app drawer only on one of the home screens. So let's see if swift key puts out a bug fix for this. There must be something there. We can't be the only three!

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I "googled" this problem and found lots of "fixes" (for other devices).

Here is what I have tried:
Settings>Apps>All>Download Manager>Disabled and then re-enabled>Reboot

Settings>Apps>All>Google Play Services>Cleared Cache>Reboot

Settings>Accounts>Google>Removed account>Re-entered account>Reboot

UNFORTUNATELY NONE OF THE ABOVE HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM. However, the phone seems to be acting fine except for that message on reboot.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
yep tried all those.

Hey if you still have your swiftkey installed... if you change your default keyboard to LG Keyboard and then bring up an app to see the LG keyboard up and then reboot the phone, I am curious if the message goes away when the SwiftKey is not enabled.

If so, then I may just reinstall SwiftKey but keep it disabled until I see an update and then test.

I "googled" this problem and found lots of "fixes" (for other devices).

Here is what I have tried:
Settings>Apps>All>Download Manager>Disabled and then re-enabled>Reboot

Settings>Apps>All>Google Play Services>Cleared Cache>Reboot

Settings>Accounts>Google>Removed account>Re-entered account>Reboot

UNFORTUNATELY NONE OF THE ABOVE HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM. However, the phone seems to be acting fine except for that message on reboot.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
yep tried all those.

Hey if you still have your swiftkey installed... if you change your default keyboard to LG Keyboard and then bring up an app to see the LG keyboard up and then reboot the phone, I am curious if the message goes away when the SwiftKey is not enabled.

If so, then I may just reinstall SwiftKey but keep it disabled until I see an update and then test.

WOW! I just changed the keyboard to Kii Keyboard and rebooted the phone and I did not get that message!
I then switched back to Swiftkey Beta and rebooted the phone and I then got the message!!!
So Swiftkey is the culprit!!!

John Snow

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I have swiftkey installed on my LG G2 with kitkat i changed it back to LG keyborad and the error went away wth. its been working fine for a week or so with kitkat

John Snow

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok I uninstalled swift key the paid version which i purchasedand reboot the phone and reinstalled swiftkey and this error comes back
google.process.gapps error

i reboot the phone still same error , I uninstalled swiftkey the error goes away. conclusion Swiftkey and Kitkat 4.4.2 not playing nice. I hope it gets resolved I like my swiftkey

I posted on swiftkey's website , others should post here so we can get them to fix it if it is swiftkey
google.process.gapps error = Swiftkey = Kitkat = LG G2 - Bug Reports - SwiftKey VIP Forum

Last edited:

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
new beta out. i'll try to install it and test later. if anyone tries and test please update info?

New SwiftKey beta update with Evernote and Google+ personalization

Just installed the new Beta and still get the error.
I have been a long time Swiftkey (and Swype and Kii) user and recently switched to the stock LG Keyboard. I am really impressed with the LG keyboard. It has swipe, and a numbers row on top, really good word prediction, and there are themes (the best themes are on the XDA website).

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
darn. thanks for the info. i just got to work and was going to install.
i'm using google keyboard. i just find the predictive texting worse on LG than googles and some key placement better on google than LG.

Just installed the new Beta and still get the error.
I have been a long time Swiftkey (and Swype and Kii) user and recently switched to the stock LG Keyboard. I am really impressed with the LG keyboard. It has swipe, and a numbers row on top, really good word prediction, and there are themes (the best themes are on the XDA website).

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I had never gotten this until booting up yesterday after installing the G3 ROM

Posted via Android Central App

hawkintx

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
This was driving me crazy today (LG G2), and I went through ALL the recommended fixes, but nothing worked. Then I remembered my Google Keyboard had recently updated, so I uninstalled it and the problem was fixed! Ironically I had originally substituted the Google keyboard for Swiftkey when Swiftkey was causing the same problem, but now it's the Google keyboard causing the problem! I did not reinstall the Google keyboard, but instead installed the Swiftkey keyboard and the issue seems to be corrected! I suppose it's possible that uninstalling and reinstalling the Google keyboard would have fixed the problem, but I prefer Swiftkey anyway. Hopefully this sticks, we shall see tomorrow. The only time I was seeing the error was on bootup, and I don't think it was impacting anything, but it still bugged the hell out of me! Best of luck!

derek_k

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
... but now it's the Google keyboard causing the problem!

Turned out it was Google Keyboard causing the same issue for me too. Uninstalling Google Keyboard gets rid of the error at boot. I then tried re-installing Google Keyboard, but the error comes back. Which is unfortunate.

djspyral

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok folks, here it comes... the fix to all your problems. This bug is part of Google's transition from the Dalvik runtime to ART runtime. Do the following:

If you have not enabled the "Developer Options" menu, do so by doing the following:

Menu -> System Settings -> General (for tab view) -> About Phone -> Software Information

Once on this screen, tap on "Build Number" until it tells you that the Developer Options menu has been enabled.

[For tab view menu]
Menu -> System Settings -> General Tab -> Developer Options

[For list view menu]
Menu -> System Settings -> Developer Options

The fourth option down is "Select runtime", it is most likely "Dalvik". Select it and change it to "ART". When you make this change it will tell you that you need to reboot. This made me nervous, but I accepted anyways. Your phone WILL TAKE A WHILE to reboot!!! It needs to upgrade a LOT of apps and components, but it WILL boot, do NOT hard reset it!

This will also enable the "OK Google from any screen" option in Google Now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21