LG G2: Mobile data not working after turning it off and turning it on again

joevassilev

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all! New user here and I need your help/advice.

So I don't really know when it started, but I'm guessing it was after the latest software update for the "apps" just a few days ago. When I enable my mobile data, it works, and then when I turn on my wifi, it auto disables my mobile data and connects to a wifi network, great. But the problem is that when I move out of wifi range, or turn off wifi, I am literally unable to connect back to my mobile data. Even though the symbol is lighted up ("Data connection is allowed"), I'm never able to get back my mobile data.... I can't even see the "H" symbol!!!

Update: Turns out, it's not even disabling wifi that's causing it, if I turn the mobile network off and then turn it on again, I get the same problem!!!!

The only way I'll ever get it back is if I restart my phone or play with the mobile network settings to change to another APN and then change back to the default one.

Please help, it's really been frustrating :(

I am using the International version and am living in Malaysia.

Last edited by a moderator:

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen to me on several gsm phones - sometimes they seem to get confused if you turn data on or off. Try toggling airplane mode on and off - may be quicker than a full restart.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3!

joevassilev

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey cellomj, thanks for your suggestion. I tried to do that but somehow that didnt work for me. Only the method which i described in my first post worked.

Update: my phone's alright now. It's working perfectly fine. I think it was the kitkat update that was rolling out in my region that was causing the problem. After installing kitkat my phone works beautifully now :)

kasperkyd

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Even with the wifi, it doesn't jump from wifi to wifi automatically it stays off

Sent from my LG-D802 using AC Forums mobile app

qwertyuiopp

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi.. I am from malaysia too.😄
I have the same problem with you. The mobile data is not working after i upgrade to kitkat. May I know how do you fix the issue? I already did factory reset after the upgrade and there is no change. Please help me...

Camnu

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I also had the LTE/4G problem too. It's an unlocked from. It was from Bell, now with Rogers.
I figure out that the problem is related to 'Access Point Names' (APN) not setup. You have to contact your carrier so they give you the information about APN. For exemple (Rogers): APN : ltemobile.apn

When entered those APN, make sure that you choose the 'Network mode' : GSM/WCDMA/LTE.

Mine works, but it's very slow. The speed is less than 1 Mpbs.
The Tech guy from Rogers said that even the phone is unlocked, but the phone is made and optimized for Bell, so the phone won't work as good with Rogers.

Please, let me know if you could figure out a better solution.

TiMMaY_77

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Two of the three Verizon LG G2s we have failed mobile data completely due to overheated SIM card holders. This completely killed the phone's ability to connect to Verizon's networks. Replacing the SIM at the stores did not help and they had to send us replacement phones. I can tell you right now that this phone gets really hot. Sometimes it's when playing graphics intensive games (which is pretty normal) and sometimes it gets really hot in my pocket, doing absolutely nothing but being on. Best bet is to have the store take a look at things. You might get lucky like I did and they send you replacements at no cost!

dayalanGee

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi There,

Not sure if this is resolved, but I experienced the same issue this week after "apps" update ,and managed to resolve successfully.

First off - putting phone on flight mode and then turning off didnt work for me - must have tried this about 100 times.

I then tried two things consecutively - not sure if both are required to get data working again, but this is what i did :

1) Key in *#*#4636#*#* on the dialpad. This should bring up a menu. Select "Phone Information", then, on preferred network type, select 'LTE/GSM/WCDNA'.

2) Then download your network provider's OTA settings again and install.. After the install, my data returned. NOTE - not sure if step 1 has anything to do with this, but posted it just incase.

Let me know if this works for you..
Thanks

K-Chan

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello! I had this problem with my G2 as well. After talking with my service provider, we found out that the update somehow reset my account so that it wasn't seeing my G2, instead it was seeing an older phone that didn't have access to the 3G network. We were able to work it out, so I suggest that you talk with your provider and see if the same thing happened to you.

Giles Meehan

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you to those who explained the fault. I had wasted a whole day trying to fix it (and do back-ups and restores) before I found this answer.

Yes, occasionally some LG G2 phones delete the network provider settings when LG send an Over The Air software update, like mine did a couple of weeks ago. I eventually discovered my phone was then trying to connect via WAP, which meant that the web didn't work, although emails and my twitter app (text only) did still work. But basically I had no mobile data connection. (WiFi obviously still worked fine.)

After phoning Talkmobile, they sent the settings to the phone again, and it worked. I actually wrote down those settings, did a "factory reset", and typed in the settings again, and it has worked perfectly since. Thanks again for the help! LG seem to deny that anyone could possibly ever have that fault, nor that they could imagine what the fix for it is!!!

1vans k

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Thank you to those who explained the fault. I had wasted a whole day trying to fix it (and do back-ups and restores) before I found this answer.

Yes, occasionally some LG G2 phones delete the network provider settings when LG send an Over The Air software update, like mine did a couple of weeks ago. I eventually discovered my phone was then trying to connect via WAP, which meant that the web didn't work, although emails and my twitter app (text only) did still work. But basically I had no mobile data connection. (WiFi obviously still worked fine.)

After phoning Talkmobile, they sent the settings to the phone again, and it worked. I actually wrote down those settings, did a "factory reset", and typed in the settings again, and it has worked perfectly since. Thanks again for the help! LG seem to deny that anyone could possibly ever have that fault, nor that they could imagine what the fix for it is!!!

@ Giles could please share with us the kind of settings talkmobile sent you to help us in the situation rectify it.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator: