LG G2 Update Question

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Probably not through LG. If you root the G2 there's a G3 custom ROM that will put the G3 UI on the G2.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP

brainvision

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
LG says they will not update the G2 with the new UI. But I think they will have to update it to Android L, so it would be stupid to not introduce that UI when it will be the time..

Don't you agree?

[ brvsn • C-Rom 7.1 on nxs7.3g • Tapatalk Pro ]

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
LG says they will not update the G2 with the new UI. But I think they will have to update it to Android L, so it would be stupid to not introduce that UI when it will be the time..

Don't you agree?

[ brvsn • C-Rom 7.1 on nxs7.3g • Tapatalk Pro ]

I flashed a ported G3 Rom, just like having G3 without updating or waiting for LG

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
technically you are correct.

It is LG's OS though. May not be an official LG release but is the G3 OS ported over so it can be flashed on the G2. Still has all of the ATT bloatware.

SInce LG won't be updating to that UI then you have 2 choices, upgrade to the G3 or flash the ported Rom to your G2

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
technically you are correct.

It is LG's OS though. May not be an official LG release but is the G3 OS ported over so it can be flashed on the G2. Still has all of the ATT bloatware.

No, I'm not just "technically" correct. I'm correct from the standpoint of user experience. Roms, especially a port like this one (ie, not just a modded AOSP), are noticeably less stable than official release. I can guarantee anyone with 100% confidence that this rom will give them at least occasional force closes and things like that, because that's just what roms like this do. Popping into every thread and pretending that that's not the case because you're enjoying the rom isn't helpful to anyone.

Every rom I have EVER flashed has had lots of people say "omg it's flawless, no problems whatsoever!" They are cool, they are fun, they can be worth it, but they are not flawless.

Last edited by a moderator:

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm not just "technically" correct. I'm correct from the standpoint of user experience. Roms, especially a port like this one (ie, not just a modded AOSP), are noticeably less stable than official release. I can guarantee anyone with 100% confidence that this rom will give them at least occasional force closes and things like that, because that's just what roms like this do. Popping into every thread and pretending that that's not the case because you're enjoying the rom isn't helpful to anyone.

OK, You are correct.

While I haven't had any issues with it others have had a couple depneding the the variant.

I have quite a bit of user experience as well and unlike AOSP and AOKP Roms I haven't had issues with this one. I also don't [edited by mod]around with ROMS trying to get an extra millisecond of speed and other reasons people tweak them.

We good now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
There are custom roms that don't have any issues. I've had one on my G2 for several months.

That's just not true. They may be minor enough that they don't matter to you, but custom roms do all have at least minor issues, even if you're running CM on a Nexus.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
That's just not true. They may be minor enough that they don't matter to you, but custom roms do all have at least minor issues, even if you're running CM on a Nexus.

I disagree. While others have issues, to include minor issues with this ROM I have had none so far with this one, that includes minor issues. A first for me. That's not to say problems won't pop up in the future.

I was hesitant at first to flash it after reading the comments on the XDA forum because I really wasn't in the mood to deal with minor issues that weren't deal killers or have issues so bad I had to flash back to stock.

You can tell me I'm full of crap or lying or whatever floats your boat.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Another route is to root and use G2 tweaksbox. There's an option to change the quick settings to the G3 style ui. You can change the menu key to a recent key.

You can download the LG Home G3 theme from Google play as well for free.

It's not exactly the G3 but it looks very much like it with no force closes.

If you wait for LG you'll be waiting a very long time.

Posted via Android Central App w/G2

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Another route is to root and use G2 tweaksbox. There's an option to change the quick settings to the G3 style ui. You can change the menu key to a recent key.

You can download the LG Home G3 theme from Google play as well for free.

will try it if the rom starts acting up

It's not exactly the G3 but it looks very much like it with no force closes.

If you wait for LG you'll be waiting a very long time.

Posted via Android Central App w/G2

if this rom starts acting up will give it a go

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. While others have issues, to include minor issues with this ROM I have had none so far with this one, that includes minor issues. A first for me. That's not to say problems won't pop up in the future.

I was hesitant at first to flash it after reading the comments on the XDA forum because I really wasn't in the mood to deal with minor issues that weren't deal killers or have issues so bad I had to flash back to stock.

You can tell me I'm full of crap or lying or whatever floats your boat.

It's not an issue of "disagreeing." What you're saying is just factually false. I guess I shouldn't say you're lying because you may just not be very observant. Factually, though, you have not been running a G3 rom without the slightest issue. You haven't. So stop.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
It's not an issue of "disagreeing." What you're saying is just factually false. I guess I shouldn't say you're lying because you may just not be very observant. Factually, though, you have not been running a G3 rom without the slightest issue. You haven't. So stop.

This is just an ignorant statement. You can't claim that all custom ROMs have issues if you haven't used them.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
This is just an ignorant statement. You can't claim that all custom ROMs have issues if you haven't used them.

Don't bother, this guy is right no matter what you type here. Just ask him.

After a few years on these forums and on XDA it's apparent some are just arrogant know it all jerks.

ROM's, stock or custom don't always work for everyone because we all use our phones differently and have them configured differently. His same argument can be used for the stock out of the box as well.Reading the forums tells me that.

While I've had custom ROMS that caused issues the G3 custome ROM is the best as I have no issues with it.......period. Don't care what he says. I also don't feel the need to have to tweak everything, don't use FM radio and some of the other options that others are having issues with. I've never had issues with any stock ROM but have seen many that do.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I suggest some people involved in the discussion of this thread they may need to review the guidelines and remain civil as shown in the guidelines.
And remember:
Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’
Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

On the contrary, it's a statement based on both experience and common sense. There's even a phone now that ships with CM, and even that has issues. I realize it's typical for people to post on XDA that "Wow, this ROM runs perfectly!!!!" but it's just not the case. It's perfectly understandable to be excited about this stuff - I enjoy it myself - but it's just not helpful to anyone to act as if running a ROM is going to be issue-free. Above we have someone saying:

I flashed a ported G3 Rom, just like having G3 without updating or waiting for LG.

That's just very misleading.