G2 less than a month old, just had to factory reset. I think 3rd party launchers may have been the c

ExNihilo01

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I was playing around with Nova and ADW launchers, and customizing icons. I decided to turn my phone off while I slept, but when I woke up and turned it back on, it got stuck on the lock screen after the boot animation. Rebooted a zillion times: nothing.
So I took it to Best Buy, but all they could say was it was a random glitch, and they had to wipe it. It's working again, but now I'm terrified if I turn it off again that it'll freeze on the lock screen again. Now I'm playing detective, going back over all the apps I installed recently that may have messed with the software. Has anyone here had a similar experience with 3rd party launchers and/or the G2? Please just throw out any info that may be useful so I can avoid having this problem again!

Posted via Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I was playing around with Nova and ADW launchers, and customizing icons. I decided to turn my phone off while I slept, but when I woke up and turned it back on, it got stuck on the lock screen after the boot animation. Rebooted a zillion times: nothing.
So I took it to Best Buy, but all they could say was it was a random glitch, and they had to wipe it. It's working again, but now I'm terrified if I turn it off again that it'll freeze on the lock screen again. Now I'm playing detective, going back over all the apps I installed recently that may have messed with the software. Has anyone here had a similar experience with 3rd party launchers and/or the G2? Please just throw out any info that may be useful so I can avoid having this problem again!

I've tried almost every third party launcher out there and never had that issue... It was most likely a glitch. I would reboot a few times and make sure all is well but most likely it was just a fluke.

ol chap

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
The most I've ever gotten from a launcher was from Go launcher on the pantech burst (a gingerbread device) and all it did was freeze it and make me remove the battery from it, I've had Adw Nova and now apex on my G2 and It has never even rebooted unexpectedly on the launchers (yet still a pretty new phone to me)

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely thinking it was some type of one off weirdness as I've also tried several launchers and haven't experienced the same. Any other details you could provide? Any other changes made other than Launcher switching?

ExNihilo01

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm definitely thinking it was some type of one off weirdness as I've also tried several launchers and haven't experienced the same. Any other details you could provide? Any other changes made other than Launcher switching?

Here are more details: I had been using the Battery Doctor app by the Clean Master dev, and had set up a power saving mode to turn on at 12 midnight until the morning while I sleep. It was probably 12:30 when I turned off my phone that night, so the screen brightness had already turned itself off, as I had programmed it to. I'm wondering if something about the timer may have been affected during the reboot.

Oh, and I'm not rooted, but I had used ES File Explorer that day to move around some system files, and may have accidentally deleted something essential; I just assumed that I couldn't screw up anything to important without root access...?

Also, I was changing a lot of icons, but that doesn't seem like it could have much effect on anything but the most superficial aspects of the phone's performance, so IDK...

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The icon changes don't seem like they'd have too big of an impact but those system settings could be an issue for sure.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

ol chap

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
This area of ES? if so then I would agree it must be that, do you remember which one you were moving around at all?

Attachments

• 15590.jpg
    15590.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 19

ExNihilo01

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
This area of ES? if so then I would agree it must be that, do you remember which one you were moving around at all?

I think I may have tried to copy /sys or /system apps to another folder. I wish I could remember more specifically. Next time I'll be more careful. I'm already obsessively backing everything up just in case.
Do you think ES would really let me alter something essential without root access?

ol chap

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it displays important ones maybe not to the extent of a rooted file manager but still displays important ones, perhaps the devs should add a warning pop up if the user is near important files. I l've used ES as long as I've used a file manager and it is very helpful but also very easy to access many important files.

Attachments

• 15690.jpg
    15690.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781