Need help rooting G2 to stock android ROM

Enigma07

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for the help. I want stock android on my G2, but have no idea where to start. I need suggestions on how to get it stock android in the safest way possible. I don't want to lose my contacts or sacrifice battery if possible. I'm currently backing up my contacts using Google, but is there another way I should also be doing it? Thanks everyone!

Posted via Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for the help. I want stock android on my G2, but have no idea where to start. I need suggestions on how to get it stock android in the safest way possible. I don't want to lose my contacts or sacrifice battery if possible. I'm currently backing up my contacts using Google, but is there another way I should also be doing it? Thanks everyone!

What do you mean by "stock android"? The factory LG android image, a pure AOSP android build, or some other custom ROM? What are you on now, stock?

Just rooting is easy, use Towelroot or ioroot25, both are nondestructive and shouldn't hurt anything. For custom recovery, to flash a custom ROM, use AutoRec. Going anything beyond this you should wipe your phone, when flashing a new ROM wiping everything but internal storage (the virtual SD card in the phone) is a must for proper operation.

Remember, rooting is not a magic bullet, it does nothing except give you read/write access to system files...

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Maladus ROM on XDA
Malledus is an excellent ROM, but hardly pure AOSP, it is more of a hybrid of pure Android and LG's implementation of it, which has its strengths.

OP, if you are looking for a simple, AOSP ROM with full Google Nexus-like features, try SlimROM, ParanoidAndroid, or CarbonROM and add in PA Gapps Google Stock Package. They are AOSP based roms, I don't know of any Pure AOSP for the G2.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 using Tapatalk

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Great suggestions everyone, thank you, but how the heck do I go about installing such Roms?

Root first with ioroot or towelroot, then install custom recovery AutoRec (I would then recommend updating to dr87's custom TWRP 2.7.1.1), at this point do a nandroid backup and get it off the device. Now download ROM zip and variant patch (if applicable to you choice of ROM) and Gapps package to the internal storage of phone. Now start TWRP, wipe everything except internal storage, then flash rom, variant patch, and Gapps package, reboot and give it a good 10 minutes and enjoy.

I have been rooting and romming a long time, the G2 can be... Well, let's say finicky. I would highly recommend getting adb working properly between your PC and device, and get a USB OTG cable and a 16GB flash drive for backups and flashing ROMs (find a few threads about people who accidentally wiped internal storage and you will understand), before delving into flashing on the G2.

If you are new to flashing, read, read, and read some more... Go to XDA and find your variant's forum section and read the stick posts in General and Q&A, find the ROM threads you are interested in trying and read the first 3 pages of posts and the last 10. Some of it won't make sense at first but it will as you get pieces here and there.

Remember, rooting and romming can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing... There is a potential to brick your device, mostly from making a mistake or not thoroughly understanding what you are doing, but if you take your time and learn, and have patience, it can pay off in the end.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma