Would you still recommend buying the G2?

phelan88

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm trying to decide which smartphone to buy. I really liked the specs of G2, however, I read about the touch screen issues and scratches on the camera, etc, and it has made me worried if I should still get it over something like Samsung GS4.
I'm after a reliable phone that would last a good couple of years. Not going to mod it and not a heavy user, but looking for something with good battery life and a decent camera.
Would you still recommend getting a G2 now that you've been using it for a while? If you could go back knowing what you know now, would you still buy a G2 yourself?

Thanks!

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Yes I would.
I had the G2 and when the G3 came out, I grabbed it and gave my G2 to the wife.
She is still using it with no problems at all. No screen or camera issues.
It should be a great phone for a good while.

Mav. :cool:

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The G3 has a nicer screen and a slightly faster processor but the same battery size which results in slightly worse longevity which is why I'm sticking with my G2. My wife has one too and still loves it as well.

Acturus1982

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely! It's the best phone I've ever had. No issues whatsoever. I work in the industry and nothing that has come out since has made me want to move away from it. Going to keep it for quite a while still.

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Great phone. Camera is very good, although could be better in lowlight. Excellent battery life, amazing screen, nice size and I like the back buttons.

The biggest negative is LG's UI which is heavy and a tad ugly, but it works and rumor is they will port the G3's UI when they update us to android L.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I went with the G3 and I would again but...

My daughter has the G2 and I can't say enough about it. Fast, good pics, overall size, screen/bezel ratio, reception quality for both calls and data.

I've always liked lcd over amoled and the G2's quality with color representations is very good

Throw in the damn good battery and the fact that you can pick one up on contract for almost free.... Easy buy for sure

Posted via Android Central App

BecomingDeath13

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming up on a year in December. While I've have a few problems, mostly because the kitkat update chose not to settle right on my phone, that's not LG's fault though and not an often occurrence. The phone is amazing, I've never had the touch or camera issues that you described in the original post. They made me uneasy when I first read about them too, but all in all the phone works flawlessly. My battery isn't as good as it used to be. It still makes it through the day when I don't use it heavily, but if I'm playing games or watching videos my 7-8 hrs screen on time has dropped to 4hrs. I'm planning on changing the battery at some point. Gonna be a hassle though since it is embedded. So thankful LG moved away from that with the g3, but I probably won't be getting another one until the G5 at least.

If having an embedded battery isn't an issue and no external storage space then go for it. You won't be disappointed, and I'd the LG ui isn't something you like, you can always download a launcher (I use Nova).

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
My VZW contract ends 11/23/14. If I stay with VZW, I'm looking at last years flagships as I don't want to shell out big money up front . That means the G2 and S4 are first picks. S4 has older snapdragon but is more popular. Why should I get the G2? Can the G2 be easily rooted so I can put an AOSP or G3 ROM on it?

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll say this about the g2 I was looking to upgrade but all of the phone's my g2 can hang in comparison with the note 3 and 4 are nice the g3 the only thing I cared for is the ui there is not much out that has made me want to leave my g2 maybe the nexus 6 or the m9

Posted via the Android Central App

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
My VZW contract ends 11/23/14. If I stay with VZW, I'm looking at last years flagships as I don't want to shell out big money up front . That means the G2 and S4 are first picks. S4 has older snapdragon but is more popular. Why should I get the G2? Can the G2 be easily rooted so I can put an AOSP or G3 ROM on it?

Root and recovery are easy. Look up CloudyG3 on xda, great G3 ROM.

DraskoMNE

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Using my G2 for six monts, and as a Cyanogenmod freak I though that stock G2 ROM will be a huge step back, but I am really pleased even with unrooted stock one.
Regarding hardware, everything works so smooth that I would probably buy same phone again if I had to :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
The G2 is a good buy. Based on what your criteria is there are a couple of devices I would recommend and the GS4 is not one of them.

My first choice would be HTC ONE M8..this device is hardcore all around and IMO a much better buy than the LG G2. I'm a huge fan of the G2 but I prefer the M8 over it and the price point is around the same..

If you don't mind a larger screen then my recommendation would be the Note 3..the Note 3 performs well in every area. With the Note 4 already being launched I'm sure the deals for note 3 are just around the corner....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power