LG G2 GPS Stopped Working with Google Maps

dinokath

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
My phone recently updated to whatever is the latest update of Google Maps. Since then, my GPS will not lock on the satellites. It sees them but will not lock on. After uninstalling the update to Google Maps, the GPS locks on just fine but then the Play Store wants to update Google Maps. When it does, the GPS stops working. I had to disable Google Maps.

I downloaded another navigation program, MapFactor Navigator Free, and it works fine with the GPS, BUT I don't want to use it, I want to use Google Maps. Help!

I am running on Verizon and using software version VS98026A and OS version 4.4.2. My phone is NOT rooted. I have checked with Verizon via 'System Updates' to ensure I have the lastest OS and software version for my phone.

If there's any other information that will help solve this issue, please let me know and I will post it. Thanks in advance!

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine works fine with Google Maps. I have the same configuration as you. Can't say what is causing your problem, sorry.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
At least yours works on the stock version of maps. Mine doesn't work reliably on any maps versions, including Google maps, Waze, and VZ Navigator. I've had 6 different G2s with this issue, and I have sent this one to LG's repair center 3 times.

It will tell me to make a U-turn while driving 75 mph down the interstate! I don't know what to do. I even tried to fix the antenna as suggested on xda forums. It still doesn't work. Something seems to be improperly shielded inside the phone. My reliable old SGS3 locks instantly, and never screws up while I'm driving...but if I put it too near my LG G2, it completely loses its GPS lock. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix the GPS on the G2 to not bork its own satellite locks?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 10920.jpg
    10920.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 16

Angelina Brewer

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
My phone recently updated to whatever is the latest update of Google Maps. Since then, my GPS will not lock on the satellites. It sees them but will not lock on. After uninstalling the update to Google Maps, the GPS locks on just fine but then the Play Store wants to update Google Maps. When it does, the GPS stops working. I had to disable Google Maps.

I downloaded another navigation program, MapFactor Navigator Free, and it works fine with the GPS, BUT I don't want to use it, I want to use Google Maps. Help!

I am running on Verizon and using software version VS98026A and OS version 4.4.2. My phone is NOT rooted. I have checked with Verizon via 'System Updates' to ensure I have the lastest OS and software version for my phone.

If there's any other information that will help solve this issue, please let me know and I will post it. Thanks in advance!

My LG G2 just recently started having problems with maps. It keeps force closing every time i try to search an address. I tried clearing the cache, uninstalling the update and erasing the history of my phone, this is the extent of my knowledge about phones. I can't make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
On my original lg g2 the GPS never worked but I had lg replace it after the screen cracked no issues with the unit they sent me

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Mark Bourd

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: LG G2 GPS does not work

Yesterday I make a change in settings of my LG G2 ( Android 4.4.2 ) and it starts work perfectly.
I am not a professional in hard and software of smartphones and I followed according my friend advice.

I changed settings of Network mode from GSM/WCDMA/LTE to GSM/WCDMA ( i.e. without LTE ) , and my LG recognized satellites immediately. GPS that I use in WAZE navigation application worked without any problems.
Why ? My friend explain me , that LTE network mode ( called G4 generation ) in Israel does not work well.
So , from his explanation , the problem is outside of smartphone hard and software. Just do this change to avoid the annoying
GPS breaks during your travel !

My wife used Nexus 5 ( Android above 5.0.0 ) and she has not any problems with GPS using WAZE application.
But in her Nexus settings the preferred network mode is LTE ! I guess that ( maybe) in Android above 5.0.0 prefered
LTE mode does not means , that smartphone use LTE , when LTE does not work well . Maybe it is an advantage made in
Android 5.0.0 and more !

Anyway , the changed settings of Network mode from GSM/WCDMA/LTE to GSM/WCDMA ( i.e. without LTE )
fixed the GPS problem in LG G2 smartphone. Hope it will help you as well .