Battery life

labowski986

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
One of the main reasons I bought this phone was the battery life. It has been real good. When I say good I mean by the end of the day it will have 25 % remaining. Since the Lollypop update it had been less. Some days much less and some not to bad. I know I should do the FDR but I'm just curious what others are getting from their phones. I don't play any games and don't listen to music. Mostly I read a few emails
sometimes I'll watch a short video. The rest is phone and texting use. I hear people play games for hours and text and more and the battery still has a pretty good charge. What do you guys think?

SpikeHouston

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I had kitkat on my G2 for over a year and routinely got 30 to 40 hours on a charge. With lollipop, I get maybe 20. No games, no music, but I do read books and news apps a lot. It takes about 25% longer to charge, too.

The biggest issue, however, is that the phone drops wifi connections now, in my house and elsewhere. This hardly ever happened with kitkat, but happens regularly with lollipop. And if I leave the data connection on to compensate, that eats battery even more.

If I could go back to 4.4, I would.

bcantana

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I have similar experience and opinions as SpikeHouton. I DO like the look and feel of Lollipop 5.0.2. As an experiment, I left my phone display on and did some simple streaming (IHeartRadio and then Sirius XM Player) and saw pretty normal battery life. I was actually surprised it did so well (4+ hours screen on time and over 50% battery still left.) Once I start to do something graphic intensive (play Clash of Clans, Star Wars Commander etc.) ate through 30% in less than an hour. I did do a full FDR before and after upgrading to Lollipop. It seems graphic intensive apps are killing the battery. Still screen streaming of audio seems to have normal KK-like performance. Maybe there are just a bunch of apps out there that are not Lollipop optimized yet.

escondido

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
My battery life has gotten significantly worse. Yesterday it died around 8:30 pm. It is not normal at all for my phone do die before I go to bed. It had a little under 2 hours of screen on time. I wasn't streaming anything. Didn't watch any videos. No games. Just normal use. My phone would have been around 40% by that time before the update. I may try to go back. I have even done a factory reset and it didn't help much. When I am using the browser I can watch the percentages drop every couple of minutes. Other than that, I do like the update, I just don't know if I can get by with that kind of battery life.

bcantana

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking the same thing. I saw in another thread somewhere that "some guy" said that the 5.1 update for Verizion would be out May 1st ... I might be able to wait that long. I really regret upgrading at this point. Playing Clash of Clans will drain my battery 3 to 4% every 10 minutes. What in the world will I do? If someone had a link to the official Verizion 4.4.2 build I would seriously consider going through the pain of downgrading so that I could have my flagship phone back. I am afraid of using someone's Dropbox version.

darkmetal

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
My battery life has gotten significantly worse. Yesterday it died around 8:30 pm. It is not normal at all for my phone do die before I go to bed. It had a little under 2 hours of screen on time. I wasn't streaming anything. Didn't watch any videos. No games. Just normal use. My phone would have been around 40% by that time before the update. I may try to go back. I have even done a factory reset and it didn't help much. When I am using the browser I can watch the percentages drop every couple of minutes. Other than that, I do like the update, I just don't know if I can get by with that kind of battery life.

Yes i totally agree. I Was watching my phone while i was at work. I got up unplugged my charger at 6 am watch my phone on idle drop at least 10 percent each hour. My phone had a battery life of at least a day before the update. I read a ton of forums and they advised me to do factory reset after the update which i preformed. This fix my battery life a little, but not sure what car charger to buy my belkin charger no longer works. Without even using my phone my battery life drops. I make sure wifi is off screen is at 0% still having the battery life drop. Looks to me like there is battery leakage bug in lollipop. Factory reset does not fix this, but it does improve the battery life by few hours.

Anyone contact verizon on this issue yet i was thinking about doing that tonight.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So, since you've all been having problems, has anyone tried a FDR? After a major update such as this, I always do a FDR. ALWAYS. Also, it usually takes several days for the phone to "settle" in. WHile I know that you've had it more than a few days, I think you need to perform a FDR and give it a few days to settle in.

My 2 cents. Take them or leave them.

My wife updated her G2 without my approval. She's still getting use to it and won't tell me her problems yet because I jumped her for upgrading it. However, I know she's having problems and I also know she hasn't done a FDR, because she doesn't want to.

bcantana

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Did an FDR both before the upgrade and then after the upgrade. The ONLY thing that I did that may be contributing is that after the final FDR, I did a Google Restore of my apps. It looks like most folks have recommended against this.

If I get bored this weekend I may do another FDR and then manually add my apps back to see if that fixes anything. Seems like a pain to do that if a 5.1 release is coming in the next 30-60 days and I would need to do it all over again for that too. My battery life is not "horrid" but on Kitkat it was something to brag about (2 year old LG flagship phone still working better than a lot of current phones), on Lollipop, it just seems like a 2 year old phone trying to get one last shot before end of life, and missing the mark.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yup - battery life sucks on the Lollipop update.

I did a FDR after updating, and for those who have not done so, you should, as it's faster/smoother and more 5.0 icons are present after FDR.

Good to hear that there might be another update. Hope they address the battery life issue.

escondido

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I also did a FDR. Twice. The second time I added all apps back manually. And I only installed about 25 apps rather than the 70 or so I usually have on my phone.

Still terrible battery life. I feellike I'm back on my galaxy nexus. Lucky to get 2 hours screen on time.

alp0811

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Yup - battery life sucks on the Lollipop update.

I did a FDR after updating, and for those who have not done so, you should, as it's faster/smoother and more 5.0 icons are present after FDR.

Good to hear that there might be another update. Hope they address the battery life issue.

How do you save all of your "stuff" before FDR? I have so much info that I NEED on my phone and cannot afford to lose.
I have the cord to plug phone into laptop, but not sure how to go about putting my phone stuff there.

Thanks.

bcantana

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
MyBackupPro application for things like Pictures and SMS. For Calendar, Mail, Contacts, etc. just make sure they are synced to Google, Yahoo, whatever you use before resetting. What I HAVE NOT figured out is how to backup and restore most app level data. Game saves, Tasker profiles, stuff like that I still ended up losing even with MyBackUp Pro. That is what I was hoping to restore with the Google App Restore, but it did not seem to work the way I expected it would. I hate to say it, but that is one thing I miss about Apple stuff. When I took a backup and then restored my phone it was truly identical after restore.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
All my personal content is in the cloud. For apps, I just reinstall, which I prefer to do after a reset. Never liked backing up apps and my personal content and then copying it over to the new OS. Always had hiccups with that.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If you tried the FDR, and it didn't help, then 5.0 must be sucking the life out of the device. Wifey hasn't complained yet, but she's not suign it as much as she used to either, so I doubt she's noticed. Me, I'm holding off until VZW releases the 2nd update to Lollipop. The first two version of Verizon software mods are usually full of bugs and they let the users find them and report them. By the 2nd update, (IE: 5.1.1) they have a good product. At least that's been my experiance. I've been with them since the OG Droid

bcantana

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Per the advice of some of the many forum articles I have seen on this, yesterday I did an uninstall of the Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps. I accessed Facebook via chrome (putting a shortcut on the Home screen which looks almost like having the app there) and my battery drain seems much less now. It is not back to KK levels, but is now back to 4-5% an hour with light use and maybe 20 mins/hr screen time on average. Clash of Clans still kills the battery, but I'm not sure that will be something that gets resolved. I may try to see if there are a few more "trouble apps" that I can uninstall. One tip I found was booting the phone into Safe Mode (hold the on-screen "Power Off" selection for a few seconds and get the pop-up) and just seeing what usage was like with jsut the core apps running. I use Hangouts for Goggle Voice and MMS so I could not stay on it long, but it did seem that more than likely some of my installed apps are contributing heavy to my battery issues. Just finding them is the trick now.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
My G2 got switched over to "global", during the update, or the fdr I did after the update. Battery and data usage are much better. I am at 78% at ten hours off charger. On CDMA /LTE, now.

Posted via the Android Central App

escondido

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
My G2 got switched over to "global", during the update, or the fdr I did after the update. Battery and data usage are much better. I am at 78% at ten hours off charger. On CDMA /LTE, now.

Posted via the Android Central App
Thank you for this. I switched mine to CDMA/LTE this morning and it does seem to be better so far. Especially on standby. I will see how it goes.

What kind of battery life were you getting before switching from global mode?

bcantana

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I am trying this now too. I did some Googling and it looks like this has happened for other phones as well and some performance gains were recovered by switching. Thanks for sharing!!!

escondido

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
It seems to be helping so far for me. By lunchtime today I was at 63 percent after taking it off the charger around 7am. I was at 1.5 hours screen on time. So it still isn't as good as before the update but it is at least improved.

bcantana

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing the same thing. On standby/idle, I am back to using just 3% - 4% an hour. Using graphic intensive apps are still burning through the battery faster than KK, but at least this "Global Mode back to LTE/CDMA" switch is enough to make it worth staying on Lollipop for me. Still hoping there it a 5.1 or 5.1.1 release before summer from Verizon. EVERYONE should be making this change if you are in the US and do not travel internationally much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power