LI-ION batterys Toxicity/trouble

bruxo200

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
Hello peeps, i'm having a battery "issue"..

yesterday i changed my display and had to take the battery out.

The battery is glued into the display, on the removal i scratched it's back, very little scratch tho, no damage or what so ever... only on the "metal-foil" cover. No leaks, no smoke, nothing.

The only thing that is bothering me : Alchool smell. The phone is smelling like alchool, ether, etc.

I opened and checked again, not a single leak or problem with the battery. I did a little research and says that LI-ION batterys are safe, unless you put it on fire, that will probably release toxic fumes. Well, that's not the case...

Temperatures are normal, 28~29ºC Idle and 39 at full load/stress(battery ANTUTU).

Battery is working fine, very good performance for 2 year old battery.

What concerns me is about toxicity and things like that...

Is that smell/gas toxic? I read that is just ether that stays between some layers, that this smell is perfectly normal.

Should i worry?

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Probably the glue, either when you removed it or when you re-applied it. The battery, if ruptured, would not smell like alcohol, it'd be rusty/metal-like stink and you'd notice a bulge somewhere in the phone where the battery begins to swell.

bruxo200

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
Hey spook, thanks for the reply!

No bulge at all, just the smell...

I hope it is the glue, really weird alchool smell.

No worries then?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry unless it lasts for more than a couple days or if it's too strong. BUT if it's enough to bother you, I wouldn't use the device for a couple days either and see if it 'airs out'. Alcohol smells aren't usually that concerning but they can still give you headaches and make you dizzy (or really bad if it was Acetone, but I don't think there are a lot of components with that on a phone, unless you gave it a custom paint job). Also, since you just changed the display, the new component might have been wiped with alcohol, which with the heat of re-soldering and the device working, might just be flashing off.

bruxo200

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
Ok, i'll reply this to help people with the same problem.

The alchool/Acetone/nailpolisher smell is from the battery.

When i took the battery out the smell was still strong (10x worse when the phone is working)

The best solution that worked out for me :

I took Electrical tape over the tear and the battery until the smell is gone. Battery is working fine, no smells whatsoever.

About the toxicity:

It's not that easy to get intoxicated by acetone/ether, your liver can break it down very easy and quickly. But long term exposure is bad and can **** you up.

I'm doing this only because the new battery will arrive in 15 days, the problem seems to be solved, it's not smelly for 6 hours now.

Thanks! and hope this thread can help other people.

bruxo200

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
Ok, i'll reply this to help people with the same problem.

The alchool/Acetone/nailpolisher smell is from the battery.

When i took the battery out the smell was still strong (10x worse when the phone is working)

The best solution that worked out for me :

I took Electrical tape over the tear and the battery until the smell is gone. Battery is working fine, no smells whatsoever.

About the toxicity:

It's not that easy to get intoxicated by acetone/ether, your liver can break it down very easy and quickly. But long term exposure is bad and can **** you up.

I'm doing this only because the new battery will arrive in 15 days, the problem seems to be solved, it's not smelly for 6 hours now.

Thanks! and hope this thread can help other people.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Weird. Must be an adhesive or something from the foil layer then. Strange, though, but glad you're getting a replacement battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood