I love this phone, but I to us some newer apps. Is it possible to upgrade this phone or should I just by a new (used) one?

There are 2 reasons for considering the upgrade- I would love to flush it and get a clean install without the Verizon bloatware and I wanted to run Windows Your Phone app.

Is it possible? Is it difficult?
    09-18-2020 07:33 AM
    It would be best to get another phone with at least pie Android 9 on it to future proof it a bit. Even a 2 year old phone would be better at this point. Marshmallow and below are beginning to be too old, let alone security updates.
    09-18-2020 07:51 AM
    In order to get rid of the bloatware and/or install a custom ROM based on Nougat (there's no official firmware higher than Marshmallow for that phone), you'd have to root the phone -- you can check the forums at XDA-Developers.com for that kind of information.
    09-18-2020 12:03 PM
    Sorry for the late reply. I never got an alert of a reply and forgot all about is. So there is nothing really easy and should probably upgrade. I would love to say that is going to happen tomorrow, but not likely.

Let me pass you a different question. Is there a way on this phone to disable the phone dialer app? Or replace it with something else that will allow you to filter calls?
    10-03-2020 02:39 PM
    You can try this app for few bucks , it for lg and samsung

https://www.packagedisabler.com/
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-03-2020 02:41 PM
    Let me pass you a different question. Is there a way on this phone to disable the phone dialer app? Or replace it with something else that will allow you to filter calls?
    Try Truecaller. Another option would be to start using Google Voice.
    10-03-2020 03:46 PM
    Thanks for the lead on True Caller. I think I will open a new thread as this discussion really has nothing to do with updating my phone. Totally new subject. That way I can better explain what the problem is. Thanks!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-04-2020 05:24 AM