LG G3 to leave dust to competition?

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
After yesterday's announcement, which dissapointed for reasons I will furthly detail ahead, do you think the LG G3, which according to rumors might be announced as soon as May, will beat the S5 out of the water?
My personal opinion as to why S5 is a dissapointment: It has a good camera, and some nice new features, but it just lacks that killer feature. At present, it may narrowly pass the G2 due to features and camera, but after the G3 will be announced with QHD, new processor, better battery and design than S5, I think the Galaxy will just not do.
What's your opinion?

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Frankly I don't care about QHD, it's just going to require more horsepower for the same user experience. I should know I have a Nexus 10 and I'd gladly give up some pixels (1080P is enough) for better performance. That being said I think 1080P is more then enough for a phone. There is nothing wrong with the S5 but it's just not a big upgrade from an S4. Had they went to onscreen nav keys and shrunk the bezel I would I be all over this phone but otherwise it's just an incremental upgrade and so I'm looking to other phones. I like the LG G2 (onscreen nav keys and thin bezel) but don't like the non-removable batter and non-expandable storage. There seems to be no perfect phone... If LG addresses the latter issues in the G3 they will win me over, if not I'm just not sure as the HTC One 2 looks to have the same large bezels as the original based on leaks. I really hate large bezels as they waste space and make a phone look cheap.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts are, with all the top gun OEMs dropping a new high end device every 3 to 6 months its hard to get that " WOW " factor. We know it usually takes about a year on the design sheets to come up with a device so to continually get that new latest technology in every release to give your device that " WOW " factor over its competitors is getting harder to achieve now. I think that is where were seeing examples of like Samsung has done, release the S4 with the best it could offer at that time then a few months later the new Note 3 appears and they sneak in whatever new stuff was released late in the design process of the S4...

Its a cat and mouse, chess game for sure trying to bring that huge bang to the table with each new device.

I'm thinking were at the stage now were going to see more baby step improvements due to the over saturation of new devices dropping every couple months.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Wait and See.

No matter what we enthusiasts think, it mainly comes down to marketing. If LG or Sony could spend the marketing dollars that Sammy or Apple does, I think the devices we see at MWC would change quite a bit. Sadly, even though the LG G3 may very well beat the pants off the S5 in all aspects (specs, features, UI, storage, etc) it doesn't matter if only a few people buy it. Sammy has a HUGE following, and that means they can spend even more on marketing. LG doesn't - and thus has less to spend on enticing people to buy their product. The less people who buy, means fewer marketing dollars available next time. Etc, etc, etc.

As someone else already stated, MWC is for geeks like us. But the vast majority of android consumers/users don't care about specs so much as having the latest/greatest. And since Samsung is doing so well, people will buy that brand because they are familiar with it. Less so for LG and Sony.

I guess we'll have to see. I think smartphones (esp in North America) are quickly reaching a saturation point where people are not getting INTO a smartphone for the first time but much more REPLACING. Humans like to go with what's familiar. A Ford owner will typically look first at another Ford when looking to buy another vehicle. Same with Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, etc..... Again, because Samsung is the dominant name in Android, chances are most people will look there first. Hopefully LG can pick up new customers by those not interested in the new S5 (aka Samsung S4s, or Samsung S3ss, or....)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Too add to the above.. It is a shame to see likes of Sony and LG having to fight so hard to impress because as we've seen especially in the Sony lineup they have some damn good devices that just don't make it across the world to the US market. But overseas Sony is a highly respected device. Same goes for LG.

In the end its up to forums and blogs like AC to continue to spread the love and push these devices into the mainstream here in the US to help gain popularity and trust in the consumer. They offer some great devices its just the marketing dollars aren't there to blast them on every advertisement board, commercials and lets not forget sports and celebrity scene which plays a big part in pushing a new device.

Did we not see this with Samsung and the S4 being the official device and blasted repeatedly into our homes at the recent Sochi Olympics? Like it or not, Samsung accomplished what they set out to do... Burn the name and device into your brain while watching the events.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Based on the rumors alone I think the G3 will blow the S5 out the water. Samsung will sell more unfortunately but LG will have the better phone I think.

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts are, with all the top gun OEMs dropping a new high end device every 3 to 6 months its hard to get that " WOW " factor. We know it usually takes about a year on the design sheets to come up with a device so to continually get that new latest technology in every release to give your device that " WOW " factor over its competitors is getting harder to achieve now. I think that is where were seeing examples of like Samsung has done, release the S4 with the best it could offer at that time then a few months later the new Note 3 appears and they sneak in whatever new stuff was released late in the design process of the S4...

Its a cat and mouse, chess game for sure trying to bring that huge bang to the table with each new device.

I'm thinking were at the stage now were going to see more baby step improvements due to the over saturation of new devices dropping every couple months.

I would have to disagree with you, based solely on one phone: The LG G2.
It's an unquestionablly great phone, but other than the usual argument of G2/S4/5, the main reason the G2 rocked was due to the HUGE improvement it made over the Optimus G. It was just a spectacular jump from mid-range, unremarkable phones to being direct copetition woth the newest Galaxy.
That's what made G2 my phone of the year, and also ehy I think the G3 might introduce a big difference yet again, might even be enough to make me upgrade to G3.
By the way, I just felt I should note I was about to upgrade to the S5, already put my G2 in the market, but principaly I didn't want to encourage Samsung's remarkably small change between the S4 and the S5.
Finally, I sadly agree LG's marketing is a failue, which is probably responsible for the huge difference between S4/G2 sales numbers.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Based on the rumors alone I think the G3 will blow the S5 out the water. Samsung will sell more unfortunately but LG will have the better phone I think.

I hope this is true, main reason the competition stand point. If they can manage to bring a huge WOW factor to the tablet it encourages the competing devices to up their game next time around.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
any word on a micro sd card slot? thats a huge selling point for me, I played around with a coworkers G2 today and loved it

jimgravy

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
A previous Samsung owner (Epic 4G, Sprint, S3, Verizon) I was out of contract with Verizon and looking hard at the upgrade market. The charging port of the S3 gave me fits, went through two phones and four 12 volt car chargers. Because of these hardware issues, along with the keyboard of the Epic 4G coming apart) I knew the S4 did not convince me into a long term relationship. I almost went the Note 3 route but it simply was too big and didn't need the S4 Pen. All eyes zeroed in on a serious look at the G2...horsepower of the Note 3, more manageable form factor, gorgeous screen, and that battery, wow. No SD card, no removable battery. I knew Samsung battery life sucked, having to carry spare bats that also sucked. Used Airdroid to move pics and videos to my laptop with ease took care of SD card. Now for the best part. I ran Antutu on myunrooted G2 and exceeded 33,328 on their benchmark. This number represents nearly twice the score of my previous S3. My next phone has to achieve the doubling of my G2, or have game changing features. My LG ended up in my pocket through analysis, not marketing hype. I'm glad I did, not disappointed in any way, it truly rocks! BTW, now on T Mobile (and Jump) and 4G rocks in Pittsburgh at a monthly price over $22.00 a month less than Verizon.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I think people are really going to have to let go of the idea of an SD card slot. Its a technology the Android is moving away from. I don't think that companies like LG and HTC (that have followed suit) are going to bring it back. You can argue the usefulness of it all you want but I don't think it'll make any difference. As long as phones come with enough internal memory I see it as a non issue

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a 64g sd card with about 35g of music on it, I also use the sd for my nandroid back ups, and various root mods or w/e so 32g of internal memory won't work for me, yeah I can trim down my music selection but I'd honestly rather not, if a 64g version was offered I'd gladly pay the extra for that amount of storage.........

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Just like with the g2. Plus with it coming out months later I hope it would "blow it out of the water" especially with the snap 805 being available around the launch of the g3.

- - - Updated - - -

I think people are really going to have to let go of the idea of an SD card slot. Its a technology the Android is moving away from. I don't think that companies like LG and HTC (that have followed suit) are going to bring it back. You can argue the usefulness of it all you want but I don't think it'll make any difference. As long as phones come with enough internal memory I see it as a non issue

Lg did with g pro 2....

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes and the original G pro had an sd slot. The G did not

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Based on the rumors alone I think the G3 will blow the S5 out the water.

The only problem with this is how many times have we seen rumors end up not being a part of the final project? So it is hard to say that based on rumors it will be better since we have no idea which rumors will end up being true. Just look at the S5 announcement, the biggest complaints all seem to point to the fact that the rumors weren't true.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The only problem with this is how many times have we seen rumors end up not being a part of the final project? So it is hard to say that based on rumors it will be better since we have no idea which rumors will end up being true. Just look at the S5 announcement, the biggest complaints all seem to point to the fact that the rumors weren't true.
I know very well rumors are well....rumors. I just think with the G3 coming out months after the S5, it will have better specs. In my opinion the G2 was better than the S4.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Will the g3 be better overall then the new htc one or iPhone 6..why everyone always comparing they phones to Samsung..ppl love to pick at Samsung when clearly it's other phones that's equal or better o compare to

Posted via Android Central App

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Will the g3 be better overall then the new htc one or iPhone 6..why everyone always comparing they phones to Samsung..ppl love to pick at Samsung when clearly it's other phones that's equal or better o compare to

Posted via Android Central App
Hmmmm maybe because Samsung(you can make a case for the Z2) is the only major flagship recently announced?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC