LG Reception - Can it match Motorola?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Galaxy S4 user through Verizon and I get 0 signal at my desk at work. Two of my coworkers who are also on Verizon and use Motorola get between 1-2 bars of signal and can sit at my desk and make a crystal clear call. The only thing stopping me from buying a Motorola is their sub-par processors.

If the G3 gets awesome reception like the Moto line-up, I think that will be my next upgrade. Any LG G2 users who can confirm reception quality?

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The only thing stopping me from buying a Motorola is their sub-par processors.

It may be worth reconsidering this then. I never used the older Moto devices to comment on their processors (I honestly do not recall whether the Razr devices had sub-par processors for the time period they were released in), but the 2013 Moto line-up with the X8 performs fantastically on both battery life and speed. It accomplished this by having their cores run consistently at a higher frequency (as opposed to being throttled like in the S600) and by using Flash Friendly with TRIM out of the box.

AnandTech | Moto X Review

Of course we have very little idea of what will be powering their bench this year but it will likely be out at the same time as the G3 or perhaps even a month or two earlier, so making that direct comparison should be easier.

LG G2 Call Quality: It is difficult to tell from just forums, because people rarely post just to say, "yep, call quality is good". From the forums perspective, there are many threads across all carriers with call quality issues that usually are expressed as a crackling sound audible to both ends of the call and/or a muffled voice from the G2 user heard by the caller on the other end. I did try out a G2 for about 3 days and noticed no call quality issues, however I do not make a lot of phone calls, so statistically that has approximately no bearing. I have a stronger visible signal with the Moto X than I did with the G2 and I get (weak) mobile data signal inside my office building on the X, which has not happened with any other device. All of that said, the Moto X also had call quality issues on at least the CDMA variants when it was first released, however that was resolved with an early firmware update. My unscientific rating of current flagship call quality ranking is Moto > Apple > LG > HTC.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Comparing 4 lg phones I've used, 2 feature phones and 2 smart phones. The 2 feature phones were on Sprint. The first one was fine, the second one stinks. The 1st smart phone is the LG OF7 on Boost Mobile - that was my favorite phone to use for calls until I put my Nexus 5 on Aio (AT&T) and it's brilliant for phone calls. I haven't had any line noise, or garbling yet. I love this phone for voice calls. I think probably the switch to Aio makes a difference too, even though with the OF7 Boost Mobile seemed good for calls, if nothing else.

I'd imagine with the G series being similar to the last Nexus, it would be fine for call quality, network factors being equal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
i have the G2 on Verizon,never any issues with call signal strength,but i work outside,and live about 14 miles from Verizon Wireless world headquarters,the only issue i have with the G2 is the GPS,also the build quality,i had it on the arm of my sofa and bumped it by accident and the screen shattered also own a HTC DNA and have dropped it from further heights with not even a mark,but this was my fault should have a case, screen protector,i still love the G2 for all it has going for it,so i am going to ship it to LG to replace the screen.

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Motorola owns several patents for cdma technology. ... ie they were a radio company before they made phones. ..they are the only ones that can use said patents. .. so they will always have better signal on cdma phones .... sad that they can't make a decent phone

Sent from my SM-G900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Motorola has historically had better reception than other mobile phones. One of the engineers at work was with Nokia in the 90s and the tests they ran showed Motorola constantly getting better dB than any mobile phone out there. He just bought a Droid hd because a newer test showed the same results. Samsung was on the bottom end lol.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Prior to the G2, I had a RAZR maxx HD. Though I've never actually checked the signal numbers to compare, my G2 seems to hold signal just as well as my RAZR did. Seems to drop to 3G in all the same places as well, so take that comparison for what its worth.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 5 (which, of course, is made by LG, and has pretty similar hardware to the G2) has been quite good with reception and call quality, even when showing only 1 bar of reception.

Treyu D

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
At the moment my daily driver is a LG G2. Before that I owned a Motorola Razr HD (XT925). The Reception on 2G network is mainly the same. but the G2 is ahead in 3G and 4G. Call quality seems a to be a little better, too.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
PC Mag rated the LG G2 reception 8/10 which is pretty good. Maybe LG will tweak the radio a bit more in the G3. Either way, I'm sure it's better than the crappy reception I get on my Galaxy S4.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It may be worth reconsidering this then. I never used the older Moto devices to comment on their processors (I honestly do not recall whether the Razr devices had sub-par processors for the time period they were released in), but the 2013 Moto line-up with the X8 performs fantastically on both battery life and speed. It accomplished this by having their cores run consistently at a higher frequency (as opposed to being throttled like in the S600) and by using Flash Friendly with TRIM out of the box.

AnandTech | Moto X Review

Of course we have very little idea of what will be powering their bench this year but it will likely be out at the same time as the G3 or perhaps even a month or two earlier, so making that direct comparison should be easier.

LG G2 Call Quality: It is difficult to tell from just forums, because people rarely post just to say, "yep, call quality is good". From the forums perspective, there are many threads across all carriers with call quality issues that usually are expressed as a crackling sound audible to both ends of the call and/or a muffled voice from the G2 user heard by the caller on the other end. I did try out a G2 for about 3 days and noticed no call quality issues, however I do not make a lot of phone calls, so statistically that has approximately no bearing. I have a stronger visible signal with the Moto X than I did with the G2 and I get (weak) mobile data signal inside my office building on the X, which has not happened with any other device. All of that said, the Moto X also had call quality issues on at least the CDMA variants when it was first released, however that was resolved with an early firmware update. My unscientific rating of current flagship call quality ranking is Moto > Apple > LG > HTC.

Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun before really learning about the X8 platform. It looks like Motorola is able to optimize power without throwing a "powerhouse" CPU in their phones.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The call quality and reception on the G2 were very subpar. Same with the Optimus G and Pro. They were well behind Moto, Samsung, HTC and Apple. Even going back to flip phones LG has always been weak in that department. Really too bad because the rest of their features are great.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My wife had a LG Viper 4G and I had a Samsung galaxy S2 and her reception in and out of the house smoked the Samsung. I have a galaxy s4 now and definitely going to buy the LG G3 if the battery is removable. Have a great weekend people.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My wife had a LG Viper 4G and I had a Samsung galaxy S2 and her reception in and out of the house smoked the Samsung. I have a galaxy s4 now and definitely going to buy the LG G3 if the battery is removable. Have a great weekend people.

Exactly the same with me. I have an S4 and will be going right to the G3 as long as the battery is removable and I've seen evidence that it is!

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The call quality and reception on the G2 were very subpar. Same with the Optimus G and Pro. They were well behind Moto, Samsung, HTC and Apple. Even going back to flip phones LG has always been weak in that department. Really too bad because the rest of their features are great.

That's how I feel about Samsung. Great features, lousy reception. However I've read far more Samsung reception complaints than I have LG and PC Mag gave the LG G2 a very generous 8/10 reception quality rating.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Can't compare it to Motorola but it is better (objectively by Signal Strength in Settings) by almost 20 db over the S3. This results in good signal where S3 has none and superb signal (both in cell and data radios) where S3 is average. What this means is better call quality, faster LTE (or LTE where S3 only has 3G) and better battery life (anytime your phone is struggling for signal it will increase the power of the radios to attempt to gain or maintain a signal.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Can't compare it to Motorola but it is better (objectively by Signal Strength in Settings) by almost 20 db over the S3. This results in good signal where S3 has none and superb signal (both in cell and data radios) where S3 is average. What this means is better call quality, faster LTE (or LTE where S3 only has 3G) and better battery life (anytime your phone is struggling for signal it will increase the power of the radios to attempt to gain or maintain a signal.

Yeah my buddy has a Nokia Windows phone. We are both on Verizon and we went to a bar one night. My S4 fluctuated between dead and 1 bar, never getting better than 1x. My buddy, with his Nokia (yeah, the company that took forever to compete in the Android iOS market) never lost service, and had a 3G signal off and on. I may have access to more apps and have a better battery, but when every manufacturer has made my Samsung look 3rd rate, considering I paid full retail because I hated my Samsung Nexus, feel totally taken. I walked up to the Verizon counter, dealt with the manager, and simply said to him, "I want the best phone that you carry, and cost is of no concern." Now the S4 had been out for 3 months already, so it had already developed a history; a history I was unaware of. So I bought the S4 because the manager practically wet his pants he got so excited talking about the plethora of features it had, he forgot to mention that one little problem... RECEPTION!!! So an S4 with a couple of accessories along with a receipt for $800, I was feelin' pretty damn good. I'm rocking the best phone on the market, Quad Core! 2GB RAM, and this space age motion control, split screen, smart scroll, Air View & Gesture, gorgeous screen, I was SOLD! Just a side note - that bar we went to, our friends on AT&T received full 4G service... Get on it, Verizon...

1st sign - dropped call on the HIGHWAY consistently in the same spot. Never before with Verizon, even with my crap Nexus. My mom's iPhone 4... Verizon... -15 db better reception than my NEWER Samsung. Work? ZERO signal. Moto Verizon users? 2 bars, crystal clear incoming/outgoing calls.

If I didn't specify "Sell me your BEST," shame on me. But forgive me, but when it comes to PHONES, reception is a key element in what makes a phone the BEST. It makes no difference which manufacturer I upgrade to because they are all better than Samsung. Unfortunately, I'm a victim of the tech bug. I have a Ph.D in theoretical physics, and I'm the first to admit I am a geek, nerd, choose your adjective... But specs are important to me. My next phone WILL have 3GB RAM, hopefully 32GB memory, still like the idea of a removable battery, and have more practical, cool space-age technology. The LG G3 will probably be my next toy, but the stupid rumor mill is still indecisive on whether or not we will see it with 2GB or 3GB RAM. I'm well aware the difference is nominal, but 9 years of collegiate math and physics molds you into a technology parasite. Rant over. Thanks for listening!

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah my buddy has a Nokia Windows phone. We are both on Verizon and we went to a bar one night. My S4 fluctuated between dead and 1 bar, never getting better than 1x. My buddy, with his Nokia (yeah, the company that took forever to compete in the Android iOS market) never lost service, and had a 3G signal off and on. I may have access to more apps and have a better battery, but when every manufacturer has made my Samsung look 3rd rate, considering I paid full retail because I hated my Samsung Nexus, feel totally taken. I walked up to the Verizon counter, dealt with the manager, and simply said to him, "I want the best phone that you carry, and cost is of no concern." Now the S4 had been out for 3 months already, so it had already developed a history; a history I was unaware of. So I bought the S4 because the manager practically wet his pants he got so excited talking about the plethora of features it had, he forgot to mention that one little problem... RECEPTION!!! So an S4 with a couple of accessories along with a receipt for $800, I was feelin' pretty damn good. I'm rocking the best phone on the market, Quad Core! 2GB RAM, and this space age motion control, split screen, smart scroll, Air View & Gesture, gorgeous screen, I was SOLD! Just a side note - that bar we went to, our friends on AT&T received full 4G service... Get on it, Verizon...

1st sign - dropped call on the HIGHWAY consistently in the same spot. Never before with Verizon, even with my crap Nexus. My mom's iPhone 4... Verizon... -15 db better reception than my NEWER Samsung. Work? ZERO signal. Moto Verizon users? 2 bars, crystal clear incoming/outgoing calls.

If I didn't specify "Sell me your BEST," shame on me. But forgive me, but when it comes to PHONES, reception is a key element in what makes a phone the BEST. It makes no difference which manufacturer I upgrade to because they are all better than Samsung. Unfortunately, I'm a victim of the tech bug. I have a Ph.D in theoretical physics, and I'm the first to admit I am a geek, nerd, choose your adjective... But specs are important to me. My next phone WILL have 3GB RAM, hopefully 32GB memory, still like the idea of a removable battery, and have more practical, cool space-age technology. The LG G3 will probably be my next toy, but the stupid rumor mill is still indecisive on whether or not we will see it with 2GB or 3GB RAM. I'm well aware the difference is nominal, but 9 years of collegiate math and physics molds you into a technology parasite. Rant over. Thanks for listening!

Hahahaha that's why you never ask the store employees. They don't know much and are more interested in selling you a plan than caring about what phone you pick.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000