Why the G3 just might be the most important phone to date

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
(apologize for the tl;dr post)

I read a few things recently that got me concerned with the current state of the mobile industry.... First and foremost, yet another reminder at the dominance of both Apple and Samsung.... not only do they own biggest chunk of the global marketshare pie, they are also the only two marks that haul in profits. Everyone else is fighting over an increasingly smaller piece of the pie, and losing money in the process.

Apple? They've stopped innovating. Most of what I've seen about the upcoming iPhone 6 seems to just be catching up to the rest of the industry, rather than pushing forward. They are instead holding on to their place like a technological Gollum, lashing out at competition via litigation and making it painful for users foolish enough to choose to switch off their platform.

Samsung? When they released the Galaxy S3, it was the first Android phone that could stand toe to toe with Cupertino's finest... they've since swallowed up the lion's share of the Android market.... Now? It seems like they are just tossing stuff at users without caring much about their experience. The majority of smartphone users worldwide now see Android through Samsung's bloated, laggy mess of a platform. I was once a fan of their products and defended them at times. But what pushed me over the edge was this recent video (https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P9vDAY0U0A), showing quite clearly that a humble, bargain basement Moto E actually outperforms the top of the line S5 in those every day, menial tasks that dominate most of our use (coming out of the lock screen, going into Google+, launching the camera app or gallery). Samsung's Touchwiz is so heavy handed that the phone struggles to get moving. Add to that the persistent rumblings of Samsung's desire to cast Android aside and move to their own Tizen platform... well, a world where Samsung's software vision dominates will be a very sad and frustrating one indeed.

We need someone that can make a little noise.... Sony? Not sure what their issue is... they SHOULD be a dominant player, but it's like they walk into the party with a new phone, toss it on the desk, shrug and leave. HTC? They've seemed to embrace this sort of quasi-hipster hubris, taking a good phone, making relatively minor upgrades, then tossing insults at anyone who doesn't think it's the second coming. They don't want to be the top seller because they think that means they sold out.... or something equally foolish. Motorola? Their Moto line has a chance to inject some badly needed vigor into the lineup (re: that video), but they're struggling to hold their head above water.... There are some bit players mixed in, and it remains to be seen where they all go.

It's no wonder that Google seems to be rolling up its sleeves, using this upcoming Android Silver program like some digital Gunnery Sergeant Hartman for the platform.

So that leads me to May 27th as a date that might just be critical to the industry. That is the date that LG officially announces their new flagship, the G3. Now, most of you have probably already seen the 'leaks', which are obviously done with LG's blessing.... And it seems to be working... After the somewhat fizzle we saw with the S5 and M8, the G3 is actually building a little bit of excitement for the launch. No one's giving it the 'meh.... we waited for THIS?" treatment.... but it remains to be seen if the actual phone lives up to the building hype.

I hope it does. With the other major launches behind it, LG can send this out into the wild without distraction... People will see these in stores and not get pulled away by the shiny new toy from other major players.... Hopefully they'll gain some traction and sales build. We need another major player.... I really don't want to end up in a market where the only viable choice is between a closed off mobile Gulag and a gluttonous slob.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You make some very interesting points. For me, when I heard about the obesity of TW, I called it quits for Samsung. Shifted to Motorola, got a Nexus 5, and now an M8.
I even prefer AOSP over any skinned version of Android, although Sense is now tolerable.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You make some very interesting points. For me, when I heard about the obesity of TW, I called it quits for Samsung. Shifted to Motorola, got a Nexus 5, and now an M8.
I even prefer AOSP over any skinned version of Android, although Sense is now tolerable.

I'm so happy that more people are starting to see Sammy for the terrible company they are. I say if you're going Android, pick up a Nexus device, a Motorola device or the One+ One

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have strayed away from Samsung as I got a bit fed up with gimmicks and whilst the argument is atleast they are trying erm no

"insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again expecting different results"

The Nexus 5 was the phone to take me away from Samsung.

I now have the Xperia Z2 and like it alot and yes Sony shouldn't be so hesitant as it's a fine product and they should make the leap into America. But they have a strategy and I hope it works.

I have had the S3,S4,Mega and still have the Note 3 which I think is Samsung's strongest line and best.

I just got fed up though and my companies of interest are now..

Sony, LG & Htc who I see as offering the more refined and polished products.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 5 runs a "skinned" version of Android. :)

Technically, yes....they load a full compliment of Google Apps, the Google Now Launcher, etc... but the UI is pretty much straight AOSP. What you see on the Nexus 5 is precisely what Google envisions for its mobile OS. Look at the Moto line.... Motorola Mobility learned from their new overlords and stuck to a simple formula... Good, cheap phones not loaded down with crap. If they put out a top of the line Moto that spec'd out similar to the big boys, and kept the design approach introduced with the Moto X... well, that would be AWESOME phone.

That is why I am hoping that Lenovo works their magic again, breathing life into a struggling, but technically sound brand. And to be honest, when you read what little there is about Android Silver, what brand do you think would most likely notch in perfectly and fit right in?

Speaking of which, I also read that LG might be the first one to get a phone into Android Silver (whatever that is I guess).... and that pleases me so... LG makes my beloved Nexus 5 (Thanks LG. you done good).

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Just injecting, TW felt faster on the 7.0 LTE and the Mega than on sammy quad cores. Very annoying. Maybe the quads idle at a lower clock and the spin-up retards performance. Like how AMD Llano idled at 800 and Trinity idled at 1400, the newer chips felt a ton more responsive to the first interaction.

But my Flex has a quad and feels snappy as heck. Probably a mix of optimization and lower resolution?It's got plenty of buttons and multi tasking features, but does not feel as slow as TW.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My S4 will be upgraded to the 32GB memory 3GB RAM variant. The alternative 16GB 2GB RAM version (still speculation) isn't enough, but if I'm going to be tied to a phone for 2 years, 3GB RAM is a must. I am a spec junkie and don't want my phone to be considered obsolete just a few months after purchase. Very excited to put the G3 in my hands next month!

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
S801 with 2k display is a no go for me

My worry is the 330 graphics chip with the display the s801 will have little to do with the display. I'm hoping it will be fine as lesser chips run HD displays on tablets with out a problem. But we will see.

sparker04

May 21, 2014
Visit site
wow, I've never seen it that way and probably because me along with a lot of people are misguided with propaganda. I always thought Samsung was innovative and deserved to hold a big piece of the market share. They do come out with some awesome features but they're usually just small upgrades. Same goes for the iPhone. I agree it's about time that other players come out with something that creates more competition in the phone world which would lead to better and better cases for consumers to purchase.

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
My worry is the 330 graphics chip with the display the s801 will have little to do with the display. I'm hoping it will be fine as lesser chips run HD displays on tablets with out a problem. But we will see.

S801 has Adreno 330 GPU and that resolution bump will surely effect performance

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've read that the 805 is pretty much verbotten on a phone due to its power, thermal needs and need for an external radio chipset.... so it might be for Note 4 or larger....

But... still... without anyone actually getting their hands on the thing, it's foolish to start complaining about its performance.

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
OP I agree 100%! Can't wait to see what LG brings and I really hope it lives up to the hype it is creating. I came to android via the S3 two years ago this July and although the Sammy was good enough to pull me away from iPhone 2 years later it I'd not good enough to keep me. I will either get the M8, G3 or Nexus 5 come July. I don't expect Apple to bring me anything that would make me go back...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12