LG G3: Sprint

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I went over to a local BB yesterday just to see if they had any display models up. I thought that we weren't supposed to be able to buy them on Sprint until the 19th, but they said that I could buy one now. I have an employee plan, so it would have taken 45 minutes at least, plus I didn't have a case and BB doesn't sell many cases for phones except for iPhones and Samsung Galaxy models, so I decided to go home and order a case and some screen protectors from Amazon for $10 + $8 for overnight shipping. I'm hoping to pick it up tonight after the gym, or possibly tomorrow if I get out too late.

I also want to watch more reviews to convince myself this is the right phone for me. I've had a Note 2 for the last 20 months and it's getting very sluggish and also Bluetooth has gotten a bit wonky. Just got a Flex for my father-in-law and I'd been looking at that for myself, but the QHD and Laser focusing have kind of gotten me more interested in the G3 - plus the extra RAM. But I was hoping to wait to see what the next Nexus was going to be, and maybe even the next Note, both of which I think will come with Android L installed.

Anyone have info on when we might be able to expect an update to L? Will the G3 have to wait till next Spring or later?

One review I saw mentioned the screen had artifacts due to "oversharpening" especially around text, that the screen was dimmer than average (which causes more battery drain because you have to turn the brightness up all the way to see things better), and also a bit undersaturated. Anyone have any feedback regarding these criticisms?

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I saw the Sprint and AT&T versions on Friday at a local mall.
Both had them in stock and on display. They both said I could buy one then.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I went over to a local BB yesterday just to see if they had any display models up. I thought that we weren't supposed to be able to buy them on Sprint until the 19th, but they said that I could buy one now. I have an employee plan, so it would have taken 45 minutes at least, plus I didn't have a case and BB doesn't sell many cases for phones except for iPhones and Samsung Galaxy models, so I decided to go home and order a case and some screen protectors from Amazon for $10 + $8 for overnight shipping. I'm hoping to pick it up tonight after the gym, or possibly tomorrow if I get out too late.

I also want to watch more reviews to convince myself this is the right phone for me. I've had a Note 2 for the last 20 months and it's getting very sluggish and also Bluetooth has gotten a bit wonky. Just got a Flex for my father-in-law and I'd been looking at that for myself, but the QHD and Laser focusing have kind of gotten me more interested in the G3 - plus the extra RAM. But I was hoping to wait to see what the next Nexus was going to be, and maybe even the next Note, both of which I think will come with Android L installed.

Anyone have info on when we might be able to expect an update to L? Will the G3 have to wait till next Spring or later?

One review I saw mentioned the screen had artifacts due to "oversharpening" especially around text, that the screen was dimmer than average (which causes more battery drain because you have to turn the brightness up all the way to see things better), and also a bit undersaturated. Anyone have any feedback regarding these criticisms?

I love my Flex but the G2 and G3 have better low light photos. I have mixed feelings about missing toggles in the G3 as reported by others: no landscape mode Home, no way to disable Knockon if you dislike it.

The artifacting is noticeable but not a very big detractor it seems. Brightness and battery, seems in similar bracket to the S5....?

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I finally got my G3 at best buy. Included was a Zagg screen protector, case with hip holster all for 170$. 50$ gift card was included! I'm very very happy with the phone. Major upgrade from the S3.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
One carrier had the G2 for $1 at BB and another had it for $0, the G2 is now cheap enough to throw at your kids instead of an iPhone 5c.

...BB has improved its phone contract offerings in a compelling way.

Smcg48

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, not having problems anymore...i did an update which maybe should have been done when i bought it and it works fine now...thanks

eyeoutthere

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Does the Sprint G3 have a SIM card slot for use as a world phone?

The stock G3 should have a Micro SIM slot but Sprint will remove or disable them on some phones. This was my hang up with the Samsung S3; the Sprint build didn't have a SIM slot. The Verizon one did, but it never worked correctly so it couldn't be used as a world phone.

I want to be able to put a local SIM card in it if I go to Europe. This is a major selling point for me.

Thanks!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Does the Sprint G3 have a SIM card slot for use as a world phone?

The stock G3 should have a Micro SIM slot but Sprint will remove or disable them on some phones. This was my hang up with the Samsung S3; the Sprint build didn't have a SIM slot. The Verizon one did, but it never worked correctly so it couldn't be used as a world phone.

I want to be able to put a local SIM card in it if I go to Europe. This is a major selling point for me.

Thanks!
Yes.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I disagree. So I say no.

The sim cards on Verizon and Sprint only effect the 4g service and does not act like an unlocked phone that is sold in Europe.

My best advice is call Sprint and ask for a discount overseas plan for the month that you are traveling and then disconnect the service once home. You'll still be able to use your phone and with wifi use the Internet. But you will not be able to buy a "prepay sim card" and use it in your sprint phone as the phone does not have the same antennas as what is used in Europe.

If you change to AT&T, and buy an unlocked phone directly from the manufacturer, then yes, you can just buy a prepaid sim and enjoy it overseas as well as at home.

(bare in mind that "unlocked" will only work in the US on AT&T and T-Mobile, and in Europe. It will not work in Korea, Japan, Russia, and many other places due to not having the correct antennas in it)

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. So I say no.

The sim cards on Verizon and Sprint only effect the 4g service and does not act like an unlocked phone that is sold in Europe.

My best advice is call Sprint and ask for a discount overseas plan for the month that you are traveling and then disconnect the service once home. You'll still be able to use your phone and with wifi use the Internet. But you will not be able to buy a "prepay sim card" and use it in your sprint phone as the phone does not have the same antennas as what is used in Europe.

If you change to AT&T, and buy an unlocked phone directly from the manufacturer, then yes, you can just buy a prepaid sim and enjoy it overseas as well as at home.

(bare in mind that "unlocked" will only work in the US on AT&T and T-Mobile, and in Europe. It will not work in Korea, Japan, Russia, and many other places due to not having the correct antennas in it)

It lacks a full five bands of GSM then? Because I thought the current five band international model covered 90% of everything including most 3g. And the international model actually lacks advanced compatibility in the US rather than the other way around.

US models have rigging for our funky networks primarily, and do not mistake a Nexus 5 US unlocked with a LG or Samsung international unlocked. Heck the Tab 3 7.0 3g international tablet has the extra cellphone bits that most region locked variants do not.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. So I say no.

The LG G3 is a world phone. You can't use it on other U.S. carriers but you can either call Sprint and have them unlock it and use it as-is in a different country or you can put in a new pre-pay sim from the country you are in. Yes, most current phones from Sprint DO have GSM bands. In other countries though, it will be limited. So the short answer is YES.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The LG G3 is a world phone. You can't use it on other U.S. carriers but you can either call Sprint and have them unlock it and use it as-is in a different country or you can put in a new pre-pay sim from the country you are in. Yes, most current phones from Sprint DO have GSM bands. In other countries though, it will be limited. So the short answer is YES.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...c-one-has-sim-card-yes-its-global-roamer.html

YES, you can do what you need to with it.....here's proof. The LG G3 is the same.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It lacks a full five bands of GSM then? Because I thought the current five band international model covered 90% of everything including most 3g. And the international model actually lacks advanced compatibility in the US rather than the other way around.

US models have rigging for our funky networks primarily, and do not mistake a Nexus 5 US unlocked with a LG or Samsung international unlocked. Heck the Tab 3 7.0 3g international tablet has the extra cellphone bits that most region locked variants do not.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I think if you want Sprint models unlocked you need to buy out the phone. I am not 100% certain how the device will behave after you have unlocked and run it with a 3rd party SIM, they may need to tamper with it in-store when you return.

I know the Sprint model being Spark tech has the least compatibility with any other network's LTE towers, but it is a GSM capable device with 4-5 bands and an option to use GSM-only even under Sprint. However I believe the International unlocked model may not have the *same* set of GSM bands as the US version. Go on GSMarena or such, the exact bands are listed. Compare the installed band tuning firmware with the bands typically used in the countries you plan to visit.

You should know in less than an hour whether to commit on an International roaming riser under Sprint, whether you could instead use a foreign SIM of appropriate form factor, or whether you should use a junkphone or portable hotspot while over there.

Clear as mud, right?

sblair1269

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Sprint unlocked my G2, took it out of country (US) and worked flawlessly. When I asked Sprint about using a foreign sim they advised that it would work just fine. I assume the G3 would be the same.

jamjordan

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Are we not able to use the internet while on the phone with this phone? I was able to do this with my sprint htc one(m7) with no issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo