LG G3: Sprint

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Are we not able to use the internet while on the phone with this phone? I was able to do this with my sprint htc one(m7) with no issues.

All new Sprint Spark enabled phones cannot do Voice and data... They need wifi.

When Sprint rolls out VoLTE then it will do Voice and data but... That won't be coming for Sprint anywhere in the near future.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Are we not able to use the internet while on the phone with this phone? I was able to do this with my sprint htc one(m7) with no issues.

All new Sprint Spark enabled phones cannot do Voice and data... They need wifi.

When Sprint rolls out VoLTE then it will do Voice and data but... That won't be coming for Sprint anywhere in the near future.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Things have become messy on that front...HD Voice seems like some odd, hybrid VoIP tech already. I haven't dug around to read up on it but the way it seems tied to Wifi Calling implies that they have similar dependencies within the system. Call it a precursor to true VoLTE because it seems to me that HD Voice calls do not allow simultaneous normal data connections.

Parnelli98

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any issues with Wi-Fi calling draining the battery...while it's turned off?? I have never turned Wi-Fi calling on, but under battery usage, it's always second (around 28-29%). I can force stop it from the battery usage screen, but I have to do that every time after rebooting the phone. The weird thing is that I have NEVER turned on Wi-Fi calling.

Nope. I've had my G3 for a little over a week, and I have not seen Wi-Fi calling appear on my battery stats at any time. I've also never turned it on. Maybe a trip to the Sprint store or a factory reset might be in your future

bbtitanium

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. Every time I reboot my phone, Sprint Updater runs, changes my home screen and install app shortcuts I previously uninstalled. Has anyone else experienced this?

oldrtyfrog

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I've had my G3 for a little over a week, and I have not seen Wi-Fi calling appear on my battery stats at any time. I've also never turned it on. Maybe a trip to the Sprint store or a factory reset might be in your future

Yea, I had to go to Best Buy and swap it out for another one. All good now, battery is pretty solid.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. Every time I reboot my phone, Sprint Updater runs, changes my home screen and install app shortcuts I previously uninstalled. Has anyone else experienced this?

First try clearing the cache in recovery and/or a battery pull.
If that does not fix it, return for another unit. May have got a bad one.

Mav. :cool:

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
So it's mid-november now and Amazon has the G3 on Sprint for a penny with a 2-year agreement.

My questions:
- How is yours holding up after a few months? Do you see this being a solid two-year (or more) device?
- Would you make the same decision or go with a different device now?

Just trying to figure out if I should pull the proverbial trigger since it's such a good price.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So far so good, haven't any any issues as far as I can tell. The main reason I picked the G3 over waiting for the Note 4 or the Nexus 6 was that (other than I was able to get it in July), the laser focusing on the camera. The camera focusing is indeed faster than any other phone I've used. My only complaint though is that they dumbed down the interface so you have very little control over things like ISO. Just being able to control light sensativity so that you could take higher quaility images with less noise in lower-light situations would be nice. Other than the camera everything else has worked well for me...

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey I had a question- My LG does not have a wifi calling app. I did some research and found this on xda..

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalcomp
The Sprint version of the G3 came out of the box with the ZV4 firmware, which is supposed to include the WiFi Calling app and toggle switch in Settings and Quick Settings, but of course there were a few quirks and some of us were left without this feature. No matter how many times you tried to update firmware or factory reset the phone, that app just would not appear.

Turns out after seeing this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/spri...lling-t2827818), I was not the only person having this weird problem. Other issues that went along with this were having the stock LG boot logo and sound for startups and shutdowns instead of the Sprint Spark splash page, plus a missing Sprint Zone icon in the app drawer. During initial provisioning, it's like the phone skipped a step and did about 99% of what it was supposed to do, even installing all the preloaded Sprint bloatware.

Well, the fix is simple but I can't take credit for it. This post (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=28) in the other thread by bitbyter57 led me on the right path. Looks like a few users even returned their devices for new ones, but this is not necessary at all.

All that needs to be done is contact Sprint to get your MSL number via chat or just tell them you are having issues and would like to do the ##RTN# factory reset. Once you are in this menu, go to the "reset" option and input the MSL and confirm the reset. The G3 will reboot a few times and lead you through a full provisioning and setup, and all the missing features will now work.

My question is....I spent alot of time customizing this so far and do not really want to factory reset it. Do you think when lollipop comes to the G3 that I will get the wifi calling or am I going to have to get my msl and go ahead and factory reset this....

Is wifi calling worth it?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What's the consensus on the G3 with updates? Has it killed battery life? Made it better?
Battery life is still OK. But keep in mind that this device is already 2-years old. So if you have the original battery expect to see not so great battery life compared to the day you got it. I would suggest purchasing a new battery alongside an update if you intend on keeping the device for some time to come.

Hopefully Marshmallow comes to the device soon. There's new device update numbers floating around, but it's not clear if it's an impending MM update or possibly another LP update - I'm thinking MM.