LG G3: Verizon

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
ThJust traded in my AT&T version (which I used for a week) for Verizon's.

I find it very odd that even if I'm on Wi-Fi, the 4G icon still shows up in the notification bar....any way to turn that off? AT&T's version didn't do that.

Any other phone I've owned has only shown one or the other, depending if I was on Wi-Fi or mobile data. I find it distracting to see the 4G icon even if I'm not using it.

Also, why do I see the LG apps (such as LG Health) installed in the settings -> apps section but not in the app drawer? Did Verizon get rid of this?

It's normal. As long as the icon goes dark.. It's dormant. The newer phones are starting to do this. When I tried the M8 on Verizon it did this as well.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
What did use to root it? What is [redacted]?

I used ioroot from the XDA forum thread.

[redacted]

Any other phone I've owned has only shown one or the other, depending if I was on Wi-Fi or mobile data. I find it distracting to see the 4G icon even if I'm not using it.

This is something you cannot remove unless you modify the statusbar with an app or something. most likely root would be necessary.

I kind of agree, it takes up space I would want.

Last edited by a moderator:

parapluie

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
It's normal. As long as the icon goes dark.. It's dormant. The newer phones are starting to do this. When I tried the M8 on Verizon it did this as well.

Is the whole icon dark or just the arrows beneath it? This is new to me as well and it is confusing when I'm used to only seeing 4G when I'm using my data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is the whole icon dark or just the arrows beneath it? This is new to me as well and it is confusing when I'm used to only seeing 4G when I'm using my data.

If you hop on wifi it should go dark and the wifi icon should be the one that is active. Usually the mobile data icon stays for when you do MMS. Test it out :).. Be on wifi and send a picture.. You'll notice it kick on.. Send.. And go back dormant. So basically all your data should be going over wifi as long as you see the wifi symbol... Mobile will be used for MMS and that's about it.

parapluie

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
If you hop on wifi it should go dark and the wifi icon should be the one that is active. Usually the mobile data icon stays for when you do MMS. Test it out :).. Be on wifi and send a picture.. You'll notice it kick on.. Send.. And go back dormant. So basically all your data should be going over wifi as long as you see the wifi symbol... Mobile will be used for MMS and that's about it.

Thanks for the reply. My 4G is white all the time but the arrows beneath it are grey and turn white while I'm sending a text, etc. The wifi signal is also white. My 4G is never greying out totally....

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
went in to vzw to buy g3 full retail to maintain unlimited data. employee told me they can't do it. said to buy it at BB and come back to activate it.

your thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
They try to pull that crap.
I asked for a manager the last time I had that happen.
They do that because, they get better incentives if it's an upgrade and get almost nothing for a full price phone.
They want to reserve full price phones for upgrades.
Ask for a manager and tell them you will call corporate.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. My 4G is white all the time but the arrows beneath it are grey and turn white while I'm sending a text, etc. The wifi signal is also white. My 4G is never greying out totally....

Do you have a caller ID app? One from Verizon or another? This could cause mobile data to stay white instead of the dormant Grey. If you disabled it I bet it would go Grey.

Even with the caller ID app keeping it up as long as the arrows don't light up it's using wifi. I wouldn't worry :).

NJD_fan

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
What kind of prices are people seeing?

$699 on Best Buy's site which was more expensive then Verizon's but guessing that's just before the activation fees?

Evaluating all my options with Swappa as well before I decide whether I want the phone.

Ron Green1

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
went in to vzw to buy g3 full retail to maintain unlimited data. employee told me they can't do it. said to buy it at BB and come back to activate it.

your thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Buy it for full price online and then just go to the Verizon store to pick it up. That's what I did last time I bought a full price phone. Best Buy is going to be more expensive than the Verizon store by at least $100.

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
have another question about swappa.

I've seen comments for some of the sales saying they want the phone activated so when they get it it won't screw with their UDP

why would that happen?

parapluie

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a caller ID app? One from Verizon or another? This could cause mobile data to stay white instead of the dormant Grey. If you disabled it I bet it would go Grey.

Even with the caller ID app keeping it up as long as the arrows don't light up it's using wifi. I wouldn't worry :).

Nope, I disabled it (as much as you can without rooting). I'm not really sure what the deal is, haha, but I guess as long as it isn't actually using data it's fine. I am just not used to seeing it and always revert back to assuming I'm using it instead of wifi, as it was on my old phone.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My brother just got his G3 and was asking me where the browser is. I checked and he does not have the standard browser, only chrome. Anyone know what I can do to get him the standard browser?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was kind of sour on LG since my first experience with them on Verizon was the LG Spectrum and I felt a bit jilted after discovering that there was no option to keep the phone from wasting battery searching for wifi - the G3 doesn't do this. Does the GPS work properly? Should I get this or wait for the Note 4?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I was kind of sour on LG since my first experience with them on Verizon was the LG Spectrum and I felt a bit jilted after discovering that there was no option to keep the phone from wasting battery searching for wifi - the G3 doesn't do this. Does the GPS work properly? Should I get this or wait for the Note 4?

If you are a lighter user, the G3 is a great device and GPS works well. If you are a heavier user, you might want to hold out for the Note 4, since the chipset is designed for Qhd and about 20% better battery life (per Anandtech). That means about 8% better battery life from a total device weighted standpoint. The Note 4 also is supposed to have a more power efficient next gen amoled display that should help as well.

The Note 4 has thin bezels like the G3, based on leaked picks that Samsung has not refuted. They probably leaked them ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae