2GB or 3GB? Does it even matter?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Not for me it doesn't. Bring on whatever they want to sell me!!!!!!!!!

If given the option, I'll spend the extra dough and pick up the 3/32, but if they don't offer it or I have to wait, I'll go with the 2/16.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
When I had the Sony XPERIA Z2 I didn't noticed any difference compared my S5.

Then again I've never seen carriers up here release a 32GB version or even last year when hTc One came out, no 64GB version.

I still have the 64GB microSD from the Z2 I'm okay buying the 2GB edition.

Pro S5

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Not so sure...........

If 3gb vs 2gb works in a phone the same way additional RAM works on a PC, for everyday, "normal work" types of activities I suspect you will not see much, if any difference. Start playing games with HD graphics and I suspect you will see a difference. I would suspect that the 3gb version will run games with HD graphics much smoother with better control responsiveness. But, since I don't have a 3gb phone, this is a guess.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Not so sure...........

If 3gb vs 2gb works in a phone the same way additional RAM works on a PC, for everyday, "normal work" types of activities I suspect you will not see much, if any difference. Start playing games with HD graphics and I suspect you will see a difference. I would suspect that the 3gb version will run games with HD graphics much smoother with better control responsiveness. But, since I don't have a 3gb phone, this is a guess.
I always thought RAM only really helped with multitasking or having a lot of apps open at once. I don't think it would make a difference in gaming unless a game needed more than 2GB of ram to run. I don't think any current games have that requirement because most phones that people own have only 1GB RAM.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The main reason to want 3GB ram over 2 is so you can tell everyone how superior your phone is!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have both a Sony Z2 and an LG G2. Can't say I see any difference in performance at all. Even with Micro SD support in the G3, 16 mb internal storage isn't enough.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
More RAM means more programs can be re rentered faster when leaving another program. It may slightly improve certain stats in games but is not strictly needed.

The storage is the bigger component. There is a vast gap in usable internal space between the two, and it matters a lot with the renewed SD card access issues and the need for open fast-access space during 4K clip recording.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Having extra RAM will help to "future proof" your phone for advanced features of future versions of the OS - Android 5.0 (L) or Android 6(M). You never know what might need extra horsepower to work so as long as the upgrade in not ridiculous then if you can afford it get the extra RAM and Storage - especially under Kit Kat (and later) you are somewhat limited in what you can put on the internal memory versus the SD card. My SD card in my LG GPad 8.3 has been very squirrely and works fine for a while (I only put music on it) and then corrupts the SD card (even though I never do anything except leave it in). Also, when I paid the extra $50 for the 32 GB version of GS3 (Verizon) I have never regretted not needing to add a micro SD card since all my stuff fits in the 32 GB included storage. BTW, the GS3 is still a nice phone with 32 GB and 2 GB RAM and Apex Launcher (except for some known issues with Samsung's cell and data radios - they are weaker than their competitors).

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Again, I would be surprised if any major US carrier will offer the 2/16 version without also having the 3/32.
Just my $.02

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band LG G2.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Having extra RAM will help to "future proof" your phone for advanced features of future versions of the OS - Android 5.0 (L) or Android 6(M). You never know what might need extra horsepower to work so as long as the upgrade in not ridiculous then if you can afford it get the extra RAM and Storage - especially under Kit Kat (and later) you are somewhat limited in what you can put on the internal memory versus the SD card. My SD card in my LG GPad 8.3 has been very squirrely and works fine for a while (I only put music on it) and then corrupts the SD card (even though I never do anything except leave it in). Also, when I paid the extra $50 for the 32 GB version of GS3 (Verizon) I have never regretted not needing to add a micro SD card since all my stuff fits in the 32 GB included storage. BTW, the GS3 is still a nice phone with 32 GB and 2 GB RAM and Apex Launcher (except for some known issues with Samsung's cell and data radios - they are weaker than their competitors).

Honestly I doubt Google is going to allow Android to bloat again to a degree where phones need more memory to run the OS. They learned their lesson with ICS and JB, and tuned KitKat to run well on low-end hardware. The only place I can see 3GB being an advantage over 2GB will be in third party apps, namely games, and then only if optimized for it. The great majority of developers are going to optimize for 1GB though, as that will satisfy the largest cross section of devices. By the time 3GB makes a big enough difference to be desirable, you'll want a new phone for other specs (like the graphics processor).

TL;DR, 3GB is a harmless marketing ploy.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I doubt Google is going to allow Android to bloat again to a degree where phones need more memory to run the OS. They learned their lesson with ICS and JB, and tuned KitKat to run well on low-end hardware. The only place I can see 3GB being an advantage over 2GB will be in third party apps, namely games, and then only if optimized for it. The great majority of developers are going to optimize for 1GB though, as that will satisfy the largest cross section of devices. By the time 3GB makes a big enough difference to be desirable, you'll want a new phone for other specs (like the graphics processor).

TL;DR, 3GB is a harmless marketing ploy.

Maybe Google won't make 3GB RAM mandatory in the next two years, but developers are going to relish in 3GB capabilities. We're stuck with this phone on contract for two years. Why not buy the best of the best? It'll probably be obsolete in 6-8 months anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Maybe Google won't make 3GB RAM mandatory in the next two years, but developers are going to relish in 3GB capabilities. We're stuck with this phone on contract for two years. Why not buy the best of the best? It'll probably be obsolete in 6-8 months anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

Some will, no doubt, but the majority will want to reach as many potential users as possible unless they like floods of one star reviews. That means aiming for mid-range specs.

Also... you might be stuck with a two-year contract, but ever since picking up a Nexus 4 I've vowed to never buy a phone on contract again. :)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The more ram the better, when you consider that a chunk of it will be eaten by system software. And if you're a big multitasker, having less ram will allow you to have a worse experience in that department

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The more ram the better, when you consider that a chunk of it will be eaten by system software. And if you're a big multitasker, having less ram will allow you to have a worse experience in that department

I hadn't thought about the split screen capabilities of the phone and how that might be helped with the additional RAM, good point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol