nexus 5 to G3?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Would anyone consider changing from a nexus 5 to a G3 or would this be a mistake? I'd always thought I'd remain stock and especially with android L coming in a few months, nexus seems to be the way forward. But there is something drawing me towards the G3 and I'm at the end of my contract in the uk so I could easily go and pick one up...

The original reviews weren't quite so positive using the Korean version but I think some of the more recent are much better. Not too fussed about the extra resolution and in fact maybe I see that as a downside, but the extra screen size in a relatively small body sounds really good. I also quite like some of the improvements lg have made to the OS with their skin as whilst I love stock, it can be a little limited sometimes.

Battery is pretty lousy on the nexus 5 despite trying a factory reset. Maybe I even have a faulty battery but then I can't change it so I'm stuck with it. Part of the reason a new phone appeals right now. Other option would HTC one m8 or wait for next Motorola, next nexus and maybe even next iPhone?!

How good are LG at supporting phones with new software versions?of course I could get the G3 and then sell it for the next nexus if I prefer that in the future but that probably wouldn't go down well with the mrs!

Posted via Android Central App

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is known for having poor battery life. The G3 is supposed to get very good battery life. Not quite as good as the G2, but that's to be expected with the increase in screen size and resolution. With the G3 you'll also have a superior camera, removable battery, and SD slot.

LG said they plan to support all their flagship devices with software updates. The G2 is still getting updates (most recently knock code). You can also root and flash an AOSP custom ROM if you prefer a stock-like UI.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP

deadkenny64

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I plan on upgrading my Nexus 5 when my Jump becomes eligible in July. More positive reviews and comments than negative and most of the panic issues; battery life, screen, etc have proven to be not much of anything. It also looks like TMO will be getting the 3/32 version which, if true, seals the deal for me.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Should you upgrade? I'm the wrong person to ask as I have upgradeitist. I keep going back and forth on why I shouldn't upgrade. For me, it'll be simple. If they offer a BOGO, I'll upgrade one of my dumb phones and get 2 G3s for the price of one and sell the second one to pay for it. In that case, yes, I'll upgrade.

Shoot. That doesn't answer your question., Sorry. If I was on the Nexus 5, and I wasn't happy, then yes, I'd upgrade, but I'd only upgrade after going into the store and actually holding the device and comparing it to my current phone at least 30 minutes. Do not upgrade without seeing the phone because the size is going to be huge compared to what you have now. Is the G3 a better phone? I have no doubt that it is. Will you be happy with it? Only you can answer that one. The G3 will be getting Android Lemon Meringue Pie, Lime, Lemon or whatever they are going to name L. (If it's lemon, I won't take the upgrade. Just sayin') You will have to wait for Android L though, unlike with your Nexus.

My cents. Good luck.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I was one of those people waiting with my finger on the enter button the second the Nexus 5 was available. After all the hype, I was so disappointed, I sent it back after a week. It's hard for me to understand how anyone would have put up with that battery life for any length of time. Having gone through an HTC One and a Sony Xperia Z2 since then, I've been a satisfied user of an LG G2 ever since that device came out. The battery life is the best of any phone I've owned and the camera delivers the most consistent results even compared to the much praised Sony. If the removeable G3 battery even comes close to the G2 and gives me micro SD card support and an even better camera, I'm all in.

George H Martin

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the Nexus 5 and am happy with it.

IF i was gonna upgrade now, i would totally get the G3. Have had a look at the sample we use at work and the battery (removable as well as 3000Mah) and the SD card slot is enough to sway me. Not to mention all the other features that its has that the Nexus 5 doesnt (IR blaster, better screen, better camera). Would get the 32GB memory, 3GB RAM version

[UPDATE] - Im getting it this weekend. 3 Mobile have a deal on where you get the LG G watch for £99 when you get a LG G3. This hits 2 birds with one stone for me as ive wanting a smart watch for while (but was waiting for Android Wear).

Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I was one of those people waiting with my finger on the enter button the second the Nexus 5 was available. After all the hype, I was so disappointed, I sent it back after a week. It's hard for me to understand how anyone would have put up with that battery life for any length of time. Having gone through an HTC One and a Sony Xperia Z2 since then, I've been a satisfied user of an LG G2 ever since that device came out. The battery life is the best of any phone I've owned and the camera delivers the most consistent results even compared to the much praised Sony. If the removeable G3 battery even comes close to the G2 and gives me micro SD card support and an even better camera, I'm all in.

Agree. The G2's battery life is outstanding. I've used mine as a hotspot for a couple of hours today, answered some emails, and played a few games. My signal bounces all day from 1x to 3G to 4G (I'm in one of "those" buildings). All that started at 4am CST and it's now 2:30pm and I've still got 50% battery. That's insane for the amount of usage and crappy signal.

The one complaint I keep hearing from G3 Korean model owners is that the battery life sucks because of the screen. If that's the case, I'll probably keep my G2. I really don't care if I have a MicroSD card in my phone. I've yet to use up the 32GB I currently have. I do really like the camera stabilization of the G3. I might actually use it for Videos, if I do purchase one.

bigkevbosky

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm switching from an N5 to a G3. The N5 is a great phone, but I do want a better camera and battery life. Plus the extra half an inch screen size will be nice. My feeling is I could always flash CM or something on a G3 to get a "pure" experience if I needed it. But the G3 skin looks better than stock Android to me.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the G3. I want to check it out for 14 days. I like my nexus 5 and will keep it for the updates , especially with "L" coming.

I feel like the network connection could be better and the battery is below average in my opinion.

If I do not keep the G3, I will probably try the Xperia Z2.

Sent from my Nexus 5

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Having made this switch and then moved to a HTC one m8 due to signal problems on the g3 I'd have to suggest caution on people moving to the G3 from the nexus 5. The reason being down to software.

I read all the reviews that said LG improved things a lot for the g3 but to me the OS still felt slow and the phone wasn't as smooth or polished as the nexus 5. Given that I was supposed to be 'upgrading' this was understabdabley disappointing. The nexus 5 in nearly all cases was faster at opening apps and in general usage.

The build was nice and the screen was impressive though not hugely constrasty. The phone was borderline too wide for my hands but the trade off for the larger screen was probably worth it.

Of course the LG is very new so there should be software updates along the way to sort this. Most of my problems with it were software related after all.

Having moved to the m8 now I feel this is a much better upgrade from the nexus for me. Feels like stock android with some bells and whistles added on. Personally I think the screen is better too. Top stuff

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Having made this switch and then moved to a HTC one m8 due to signal problems on the g3 I'd have to suggest caution on people moving to the G3 from the nexus 5. The reason being down to software.

I read all the reviews that said LG improved things a lot for the g3 but to me the OS still felt slow and the phone wasn't as smooth or polished as the nexus 5. Given that I was supposed to be 'upgrading' this was understabdabley disappointing. The nexus 5 in nearly all cases was faster at opening apps and in general usage.

The build was nice and the screen was impressive though not hugely constrasty. The phone was borderline too wide for my hands but the trade off for the larger screen was probably worth it.

Of course the LG is very new so there should be software updates along the way to sort this. Most of my problems with it were software related after all.

Having moved to the m8 now I feel this is a much better upgrade from the nexus for me. Feels like stock android with some bells and whistles added on. Personally I think the screen is better too. Top stuff

Good feedback. Looking forward to trying the G3. What you are describing would be a big issue for me. 14 days to try it out once it arrives. I have a Moto X and Nexus 5 and they are quite capable phones and I have not felt compelled to upgrade until the G3 came out. We'll see if the G3 is upgrade worthy for me.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Good feedback. Looking forward to trying the G3. What you are describing would be a big issue for me. 14 days to try it out once it arrives. I have a Moto X and Nexus 5 and they are quite capable phones and I have not felt compelled to upgrade until the G3 came out. We'll see if the G3 is upgrade worthy for me.

Agreed. As of now I have a Nexus 5 and an M8. I pulled the trigger on the G3 so I can try it out for the 14 day period. If I don't care for it, it will go right back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

williamgunn

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Recently had my N5 stolen and got the G3. If you've been a die-hard nexus fan like me, you'll find the G3 takes some getting used to. It's like buying one of those laptops from a big box store - full of crapware and customizations. Worst of all, lots of crapware is installed as a system app, so you can't get rid of it. Normally I'd just flash stock and get rid of it, but since there's no recovery, you can't even do that. I'm sure this will change over time, but if I didn't have to get a replacement now, I'd wait for the N6. I'm not entirely sure the battery life will be all that much better given the screen.

Don't get me wrong, the G3 is a great phone, but if you're a stock guy, at least wait until you can flash it to stock (by which time the N6 will probably be here anyways).

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
To those who have changed from the N5 to the G3, what has been your feedback other than whats above. I'm on the fence myself on if I want to switch devices from the N5 to the G3 myself. I am very happy with the N5 although nothing is perfect. Any other feedback would be helpful

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My first android was the N4 and I am a fan of a unmolested Android OS on it. But it wasnt perfect like battery life for example so was going to pull the trigger on the N5 but when it came out just didnt like the specs to G2 and went G2 and no regrets. Hardware a better phone. Just had to get use to the terrible bloatware on ATT phones but still loved it. Miss getting the latest updates that a Nexus phone gives but can live with it.

If I were you I would wait a few more months to see what the N6 has to offer. I think LG purposesly keeps the hardware specs a tad below their G phones but if they not give the qhd and upped the battery, and give the G3 cpu or even go 805, then the N6 would be attractive. Be interesting if they will offer the removeable battery and microsd slot too.

To those who have changed from the N5 to the G3, what has been your feedback other than whats above. I'm on the fence myself on if I want to switch devices from the N5 to the G3 myself. I am very happy with the N5 although nothing is perfect. Any other feedback would be helpful

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I might just wait it out to see what's in the pipeline for the Nexus. With Android L around the corner, might be too much to pass on.