G3 signal strength

hiya1987

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Ive noticd my signal retention isnot as good as my z2 was but i can live with it because the places i losse signal in are when im driving

Posted via Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Ive noticd my signal retention isnot as good as my z2 was but i can live with it because the places i losse signal in are when im driving

The Z2 has a mighty good display. How do you think the G3's compares?

hiya1987

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
g3 has the superior display but the camera on z2 beats it prefer my g3 loved my g2! i guess now you dont really buy a bad phone any more haha

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
g3 has the superior display but the camera on z2 beats it prefer my g3 loved my g2! i guess now you dont really buy a bad phone any more haha

That's a good point. We've failed to notice how good all the top-end phones are now.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I did an in-store (Verizon) comparison - Galaxy S4 vs LG G2. The G2 was 25dBm better when held side by side That's huge. PC Mag also rated the G2 8/10 for reception. The G3 will be the first phone I purchase without playing with it in the store first.

I was at the store again today and checked signal strength of display G3 alongside my Nexus 5. One said 87dBm, the other 89dBm. I can't remember which was which but believe the G3 was the higher.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Are we talking about strength of received signal here, or at least a phone's more-or-less accurate measurement of that signal? Because if the signal's strong, I see no battery advantage in de-amplifying it....the energy is coming from the signal after all, and all the phone's got to do it sit there and lap it up, the more the better.

Pure signal strength.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I worry about signal strength. My moto x has much better strength than my gs3 had. But battery life is only slightly better. A little off topic but I wish the g3 came with a 1080p screen....

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I really hope it's not bad.. My note 3 is terrible and I constantly drop to 3g.. It's the only reason why I'm looking at this phone

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I worry about signal strength. My moto x has much better strength than my gs3 had. But battery life is only slightly better. A little off topic but I wish the g3 came with a 1080p screen....

There is a 1080p G3...the G2.
But when you and HolyBuckeye say you worry about signal strength, what happens? Do you lose connection, does it make things slower, etc? I'm lucky in having good signal...tho' not 4G yet.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
There is a 1080p G3...the G2.
But when you and HolyBuckeye say you worry about signal strength, what happens? Do you lose connection, does it make things slower, etc? I'm lucky in having good signal...tho' not 4G yet.

There are places where I can make calls with my moto x but can barely connect and always drop calls or have other person's voice cut in and out with gs3. Worst combo ever was gs2 with sprint. Always had problems with data. Phone would roam on Verizon data but would always try to pick up even the slightest sprint signal and couldn't even load a Web page.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
That does sound bad. Thanks to both for info.
(Also don't take my G2 comment seriously.)

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So I thought I'd update the thread as a have a solution to the problem. That being that I am writing this on a HTC one m8 having returned the G3.

The m8 signal is comparable to the nexus 5, maybe a little better so given most seem happy with the signal on the G3, I can only come to a couple of conclusions. Either I was unlucky enough to have 2 faulty handsets or the g3 just isn't properly optimised for the 3 network in the UK. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is using a 3 branded handset.

I do spend a lot of time in low signal areas so perhaps the problem is only apparent when signal is low, however the G3 would only very rarely go above 2 bars even when outside so I think the problem was more serious than that.

The whole experience left me a little flat on the G3 and whilst it's not for this forum I have to admit that the m8 for me completely blows it out of the water! Much faster and more polished experience. So I suppose in the end the signal problems did me a favour!

Kudos to the 3 store for letting me change to a m8 despite already exchanging the G3 once. Great customer service

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the update. It's timely for me because I was about to go out and get a G3 from 3 today. I'll now hold back until this issue has been resolved. You may have saved me from the sort of experience which you yourself have unfortunately had. VERY WELL DONE to the 3 company for treating you right. Did you by any chance make a note of actual dBm and asu values compared to Nexus 5?

(Hey America...can you hear us over there? We're having some possible problems here with the phone you're clamouring after so eagerly. Don't be too ready to get your hands on it yet!)

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes I would say it was on average around 10 dBm lower than the nexus 5. As I write this on the HTC one m8 the signal is -99 dBm. I have screen shots from this exact location on the G3 and it was normally around -107. Of course there is some variation.

At home the G3 was around -100, the one m8 is -90 or a bit higher normally. It was very rare to see it above 2 bars even outside.

The G3 did quite well despite its low signal it's worth noting but it lost it more easily than my other phones and took a long time getting it back when moving back into a high signal area.

It's worth checking it out some more, I'd hate to put you off it if in fact I just had 2 faulty handsets and its normally fine. But if they are all the same then I'd advise stay away for the time being. Maybe ask the three store for feedback?

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update. It's timely for me because I was about to go out and get a G3 from 3 today. I'll now hold back until this issue has been resolved. You may have saved me from the sort of experience which you yourself have unfortunately had. VERY WELL DONE to the 3 company for treating you right. Did you by any chance make a note of actual dBm and asu values compared to Nexus 5?

(Hey America...can you hear us over there? We're having some possible problems here with the phone you're clamouring after so eagerly. Don't be too ready to get your hands on it yet!)

I'm in no hurry here. Still loving my original razr maxx. Great reception with calls. Still excellent battery life. A little slow sometimes but I can deal with that. Been using it now 2.5 years. I'm not convinced by g3. I'm going to wait till Oct and see whats on horizon then. And I'm quoting the wrong person here lol but its ok

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Moto have always given me excellent phones. I'll hang on till the new X comes out. Sometimes grass is not always greener on the other side

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
aldo82: I did a bad thing today...I ordered a G3 from Carphone. The thing just had to be done. But I did avoid 3's version (which besides costs £20 more) to be on the safe side.

FredBassett and America: I'll let you know how I get on.

minkyrich

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
New to the community, but felt I had to comment on the LG G3's signal issues. I upgraded from an htc one m7 3 days ago after a lot of research. All of the reviews I read didn't mention any reception issues, but a couple of forums did, I decided to give it a go and see (heart overruling head maybe). Right from the outset I loved everything about the phone except for one thing, yep - poor signal. With my htc I got full signal at home on 3G all of the time and 2 bars of signal at work on 3G,in my office I get 2 bars on 2g, with the G3 I got anything from no signal to 4 bars on 3G but it was going up and down even when I was sat with the phone in my hand. At work the same story anything from 0 to 2 bars (usually 0) and in my office no signal at all. I tried several times with the sim in my htc and the signal was brilliant. I spoke to LG and they told me to do a hard reset, I did this and it made no difference. So back to O2 in plymouth, I spoke to a guy called Ryan who was extremely helpful. He tried a new sim with no difference and then we tried a new phone too, all of the time the signal was jumping up and down all over the place when my partners nokia and his iphone had 3 to 4 bars of signal. In the end I decided to cancel my upgrade and keep using my htc until the issue is sorted. Not sure if it is a hardware or software problem, if it's software hopefully an update will appear and I will get a new phone , if it's hardware then I don't know what LG will be able to do. Such a shame that there appears to be a big issue. It's all nice having all of the others things on the phone but if it can't do the one thing that a phone is supposed to do, ie. reliably make phone calls then not a lot of point in having it. It all sounds a bit negative but hopefully LG will sort it and I will try again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm