UK LG G3 Wireless Charging Issues

John Venables

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Hoping some people may have some advice to offer. I got my LG G3 on day of release. I also ended up buying a Qi wireless chrging plate
from Amazon.co.uk....RAVPower RP-WCN7, according to the manufacturer who I contacted after having issues with my 1st one that the plate does work with the G3...

Takes an age to actually get the phone detected, I either get messages " place phone in centre of hotzone" or I can get it to start charging, but then bleeps every 5secs to say its charging, then stops charging again..

The plates both work perfectly with my Nexus 7(2013)

Anyone experienced any similar issues?

Cheers

John

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The thread about G3 battery life started by donhr includes some comments that may be of interest. Perhaps you'll let us know if your experience of mains versus wireless charging is similar.

Posted via Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Any chance you can try a friends, etc. wireless charger to absolutely rule out the plate?
Also, hate to throw a wrench in the works but maybe the wireless charging on the G3 is defective.... wouldn't be the first time this has happened. Are you within the return policy?

donhr

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I got a free LG wireless charger with mine. Yes i concur that every 10 to 20 seconds it beeps saying it is wirelessly charging which is pretty annoying. I ended up turning the volume to silent. Both original back case and circle cover do the same thing making the wireless charging notification.

I am currently also testing wether wireless charging the battery makes it drain faster or not. You can check out my other thread on batt experiences too

Posted via Android Central App

Matt Black

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi John, I'm hoping you may be able to help me,
Have you by any chance tried your G3 with the Nexus wireless charger?
I want to get one but I want it to work with the magnets in the charger so it will attract to it (then I can sit my phone vertically against it without it falling off).

They're both LG so I'm hopeful,

Thanks in advance

Matt

lindsaydr#IM

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
A loan G3 just arrived and I was having same issue with my qi pad plugged in via USB. Plugged cable into include wall plug and the issue has gone away

lindsaydr#IM

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Scrap that. I am now getting the "hot zone" error repeatedly. Really frustrating as it was working all day yesterday and the Samsung Galaxy S5 (with S Charger cover OR third party card) work perfectly.

The Qi implementation on the G3 looks to be poor and may be the reason why the trial handset doesnt convince me to buy my own :-(

Chris Pressley

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I have this issue on all 3 different Qi Chargers.

Use my Girlfriends Galaxy S5 with an aftermarket Qi adapter and that's fine.

There seems to be an issue with the Qi in the LG G3 but i cant find many people complaining about it apart from this thread.

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I had a cheap QI charger that was working without any problem with my Nexus but it's not really working with my G3.

I get the hot zone warning every single time and I also had the beep after every like 5 seconds from the charger. I out my phone the other way and it was working without beeping but still get the hot zone alert.

Do you guys know something about that?

Or any suggestion for a cheap wireless charger from eBay that is working with G3? :)

Thanks! :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using AC Forums mobile app

richhoops

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
If it helps I use the Nokia DT-910 as a night stand wireless charger and it works perfectly, you can get it for around £35 on Amazon UK. It's probably a slower charger due to the output but when you're charging over night it doesn't really matter.

I've never had a hot zone error on that at all although I do get that problem on the Asus PW100 I have in my living room.

My only annoyance with wireless charging is that despite having daydream on and having ticked 'never turn off screen when charging' in developer options and set a trigger task set to keep screen on whilst wireless charging it still tries to immediately shut the screen off when wireless charging starts. I have to tap to keep it awake but then it manages to turns it off in the middle of the night somehow anyway. Haven't figured out how to sort that yet.

anon(5624777)

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I use the same Nokia charger. Works fine on St but problem with LG is that the LG pop up telling that wireless charging has been activated is confusing the Google Daydream. So, when will LG fix this?

Mariachi84

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello from Germany,

I got the LG G3 32GB Titan with latest 10g firmware and I have the same problem. I have that problem with original LG wireless charger. It starts QI charging, then stopps, then starts und very time these animation, screen-on animations in a loop.
I rebooted, cooled it down, shut it down... problem remains. Only thing: I do not use original wall charger from LG. But it was all fine just today untill the time it stopped to work properly.
Cheers and sorry for bad english.

home44

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm on stock Rom & have the LG wireless charging Dock & using the plug/cable that came with the phone & I have to say it's the most annoying wireless charging experience I've ever had.
The G3 constantly lights up the screen while charging, either to tell me it's a slow charge & i need to use the LG cable & plug or it's telling every 2 to 3 % it's charged up.
It gets to 92% and it's lighting up & making all kinds of sounds every god damn % it charges.

What's going on with the G3?

Anyone else getting this problem & how to fix?

chrisoldroyd

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed the same issues using the official LG QI charger. If I have sound on, it beeps every few seconds and the screen lights up and says it is charging, it drives you mad. I now only use it at night and I put my phone into silent mode and turn off the LED too. That way it just charges and never makes any sound or lights up the display or LED.

This is obviously a software problem that needs to be addressed and quickly!

home44

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I did a hard reset & did not use this mod, like I had before...
2. Scroll down to High Temperature Property OFF,and select
3. Turn it ON...
4. Turn G3 fully off...
5. Wait at least 10sec...
6. Turn it back on and wait about 30sec. when Screen Lock shows...

!!! NEW ADDON !!! For more speed... Tested by me for 14 days... Everything went excellent! Follow these steps after you have done those above...

1. Again enter hidden menu according to your device model number
2. Select Thermal Daemon Mitigation OFF
3. Turn it ON
4. Turn OFF your G3.
5. Wait for around 30sec
6. Turn it on and after lock screen appears unlock it
7. Wait for at least 60sec more for G3 to finish sync and stuff
8. BOOM much more fluid and much faster G3

Now I can wireless charge in piece & all is working fine....For now I am staying well away from this mod.

HennersL

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

Here's a quick video showing the problems I'm having. Pretty much every time I place the phone down, it will beep for about half a minute then charge quietly then randomly later on at some point start beeping again. I have a cheaper charging pad coming from Amazon soon, so hopefully if I can see if the fault is with the dock or phone.

home44

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Did you use the mod I posted about just above your post?

That could be your problem, I had that mod & had exactly your trouble.

Hard reset & don't use that mod & all is good again.

chrisoldroyd

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have just received an OTA update so will test if this fixes anything with charging later on.

Sent from my LG-D855 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1407326592540.jpg
    1407326592540.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 42

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc