Problems (or not?) with my LG G3....

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I just received this device last night and finally ran it out of battery at 3pm (central) today. I am using it on T-Mobile.

JIC this sounds rambly... I am working right now, SUPER multi-tasking (work with AT&T Wireless Live Chat) so, yeah, excuse that please!

1. Over Heating
Right after I received it (7:20pm last night), I plugged it in with the charger that came in the box and charged it up to 100% (took about a half hour). While it was charging I was unpacking from my vacation and doing a few other things. I was also messing with the Knock On (just double tapping the screen to turn it on to the default first setup page).
I noticed that when I plugged it in after inserting my SIM & MicroSD cards and the battery that it automatically turned on... I can charge it off now (which is what I am doing now, more on this later). I just found that weird.
Anyway, while I was messing with the knock on I had my Samsung Galaxy S4 underneath it, off and charging as well (since I am giving it to my dad). My S4 usually doesn't get warm unless I am using it hardcore BUT I noticed that my G3 was warm. Not, too, hot but warm. So I picked it up and felt my S4. My s4 was room/normal temperature for charging. I didn't think anything of it....
At least not until I was using it last night and this morning and realized that setting up my apps by downloading, installing and logging in caused my phone to get really hot to the point where it almost hurt to touch the power/volume keys on the back.
My mom even noticed it on my G3 and she doesn't even notice it on my S4.

I know it isn't my case cause it isn't rubber and I took it out and let it cool down before using it again.

I'm not sure if it is me or T-Mobile being mean but I seem to always get devices that over-heat by simply making calls... (which my S4 does but I haven't made any calls long enough on my G3 to find out yet).

2. Charging/Battery Life
I plugged my phone it at 3p today (it lasted 7 hours with about 3 hrs and 30-45 minutes of screen on time which is pretty good in my book, not spectacular though). Anyway, it is 5:37pm right now and is it only at 77%. Is this because I am using my old Samsung Galaxy S4 charger or does it normally take about 3 hours to charge this device from 1% while it is off? (my device literally turned off cause I was trying to kill it to try and calibrate the battery)

I really only have 2. Everything else is great!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I'm not too concerned about the heating up issue. When most people get a new phone, they spend a lot of time during the first day or so setting things up, installing apps, and trying features out, which can be processor intensive. If this is being done while charging, that can contribute further to heat generation. I would bet that after a week or so, when your usage becomes more normal, you won't notice it heating up like that.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I'm not too concerned about the heating up issue. When most people get a new phone, they spend a lot of time during the first day or so setting things up, installing apps, and trying features out, which can be processor intensive. If this is being done while charging, that can contribute further to heat generation. I would bet that after a week or so, when your usage becomes more normal, you won't notice it heating up like that.

Maybe but... I wasn't charging it. Like I stated in #1, I charged it to 100% before even using the device besides messing with the knock on.

Right now the device is fine while it is charging but it is still taking FOREVER to fully charge. It has been 4 hours now and it is only at 88% and it is off and has been since it turned itself off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, oops! Sorry, I missed that. But still, what I said is still a common occurrence--installing a whole bunch of apps at a time has made my devices heat up as well.

Does it charge up any faster with the official charger?

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Oh, oops! Sorry, I missed that. But still, what I said is still a common occurrence--installing a whole bunch of apps at a time has made my devices heat up as well.

Does it charge up any faster with the official charger?

It did yesterday. Though the charger works fine with my S4. So, it isn't the charger causing it. I know this cause they both say 100-240V. So, they are the same. Just look different...
Why it is taking so long this time is confusing.

I'll have to use the device more to find more out about the over heating...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Compare the fine print of both chargers (the one for your S4 and the one for your G3). Do they have the same amperage? Maybe the G3's charger has a higher amperage.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Compare the fine print of both chargers (the one for your S4 and the one for your G3). Do they have the same amperage? Maybe the G3's charger has a higher amperage.

From what I can see my S4's charger is .05 amps better than the LG G3 charger... which means it should be charging it faster not slower...
The amerage would be showing with just 1 large A right?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have no technical advice to offer, but if I'd just bought a G3 (in fact, I have) I wouldn't go anywhere near it with the wrong charger. Isn't that asking for trouble?

Posted via Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have no technical advice to offer, but if I'd just bought a G3 (in fact, I have) I wouldn't go anywhere near it with the wrong charger. Isn't that asking for trouble?

Not to sure I have used Samsung chargers on different devices. However its probably not advisable, but like you I have little knowledge.

My Lg Charger does the job and is quite quick at charging.

I browse a lot, and watch YouTube vids, my brightness sits at 50% in the house and only if I'm using the Camera in daylight or I want to check emails etc is it turned up to 90%. I haven't thus far noticed high temperature thankfully :)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I just received this device last night and finally ran it out of battery at 3pm (central) today. I am using it on T-Mobile.

JIC this sounds rambly... I am working right now, SUPER multi-tasking (work with AT&T Wireless Live Chat) so, yeah, excuse that please!

1. Over Heating
Right after I received it (7:20pm last night), I plugged it in with the charger that came in the box and charged it up to 100% (took about a half hour). While it was charging I was unpacking from my vacation and doing a few other things. I was also messing with the Knock On (just double tapping the screen to turn it on to the default first setup page).
I noticed that when I plugged it in after inserting my SIM & MicroSD cards and the battery that it automatically turned on... I can charge it off now (which is what I am doing now, more on this later). I just found that weird.
Anyway, while I was messing with the knock on I had my Samsung Galaxy S4 underneath it, off and charging as well (since I am giving it to my dad). My S4 usually doesn't get warm unless I am using it hardcore BUT I noticed that my G3 was warm. Not, too, hot but warm. So I picked it up and felt my S4. My s4 was room/normal temperature for charging. I didn't think anything of it....
At least not until I was using it last night and this morning and realized that setting up my apps by downloading, installing and logging in caused my phone to get really hot to the point where it almost hurt to touch the power/volume keys on the back.
My mom even noticed it on my G3 and she doesn't even notice it on my S4.

I know it isn't my case cause it isn't rubber and I took it out and let it cool down before using it again.

I'm not sure if it is me or T-Mobile being mean but I seem to always get devices that over-heat by simply making calls... (which my S4 does but I haven't made any calls long enough on my G3 to find out yet).

2. Charging/Battery Life
I plugged my phone it at 3p today (it lasted 7 hours with about 3 hrs and 30-45 minutes of screen on time which is pretty good in my book, not spectacular though). Anyway, it is 5:37pm right now and is it only at 77%. Is this because I am using my old Samsung Galaxy S4 charger or does it normally take about 3 hours to charge this device from 1% while it is off? (my device literally turned off cause I was trying to kill it to try and calibrate the battery)

I really only have 2. Everything else is great!

Every phone I tried on T-Mo, even my old Nokia brick got very warm in calls longer than 20min. My sister's old dumbphone would overheat and shut down :/ that was years ago. Certain tasks like web browsing will probably make your phone very hot, since they added the floating navbar my Flex now gets slightly warm browsing Android Central forums. There are a LOT of elements to track and composite and the super high number of dots increases the work being done.

Battery....I have gotten used to much longer screen time on my Flex, but four hours does compare well against most of the market. Charging time. Some other phones do take over three hours to charge from beneath 10% WITH their supplied charger. Mine takes two hours only, but it has a 1.9A stock adapter and 3500mAh battery. My seven inch tablet has a 2.0A adapter and 4000mAh battery, and also charges in the vicinity of two hours.

Try plugging into a PC and charge at 450mA, like the Nexus 7 bug. It can take over ten hours.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Not to sure I have used Samsung chargers on different devices. However its probably not advisable, but like you I have little knowledge.

My Lg Charger does the job and is quite quick at charging.

I browse a lot, and watch YouTube vids, my brightness sits at 50% in the house and only if I'm using the Camera in daylight or I want to check emails etc is it turned up to 90%. I haven't thus far noticed high temperature thankfully :)

The charger doesn't have anything to do with charging it other than the speeds. It will not "break" my battery or cause any battery life issues. Just read the link the person above your post @Belodion.

Every phone I tried on T-Mo, even my old Nokia brick got very warm in calls longer than 20min. My sister's old dumbphone would overheat and shut down :/ that was years ago. Certain tasks like web browsing will probably make your phone very hot, since they added the floating navbar my Flex now gets slightly warm browsing Android Central forums. There are a LOT of elements to track and composite and the super high number of dots increases the work being done.

Battery....I have gotten used to much longer screen time on my Flex, but four hours does compare well against most of the market. Charging time. Some other phones do take over three hours to charge from beneath 10% WITH their supplied charger. Mine takes two hours only, but it has a 1.9A stock adapter and 3500mAh battery. My seven inch tablet has a 2.0A adapter and 4000mAh battery, and also charges in the vicinity of two hours.

Try plugging into a PC and charge at 450mA, like the Nexus 7 bug. It can take over ten hours.
GOOD! I'm not the only one whom owns a phone that overheats with simple calls.

Floating navbar? You mean the notification bar that stays up all of the time? If I turn that off, that will help my battery? I'm starting to use Nova Launcher so I can turn it off on my home screen.

I'm usually browsing these forums using Tapatalk. I rarely actually login online like this to type but I needed the customization that the forums could give that Tapatalk couldn't for my OP.

HOLY CRAP! 10 hours? Dang. That is ridiculous.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm not either at this stage. All of my Samsung devices have gotten hot from time to time, particularly as you said when you are using it a lot. Also one I get it into a case the heating won't be noticiable. The only thing I cared about was the fact that it was causing video playback on my SD card to stutter. It's fine now though.

As for battery life at the moment I have a portable battery charger, I'm just searching around for an official OEM spare battery. Once I have that I wouldn't mind too much as long as it's decent.

Posted via my LG G3

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not either at this stage. All of my Samsung devices have gotten hot from time to time, particularly as you said when you are using it a lot. Also one I get it into a case the heating won't be noticiable. The only thing I cared about was the fact that it was causing video playback on my SD card to stutter. It's fine now though.

As for battery life at the moment I have a portable battery charger, I'm just searching around for an official OEM spare battery. Once I have that I wouldn't mind too much as long as it's decent.

Posted via my LG G3
My heating issues happen and you can feel it through the case. I've had my s4 heat up to 108*F just 2 weeks ago.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The charger doesn't have anything to do with charging it other than the speeds. It will not "break" my battery or cause any battery life issues. Just read the link the person above your post @Belodion.

GOOD! I'm not the only one whom owns a phone that overheats with simple calls.

Floating navbar? You mean the notification bar that stays up all of the time? If I turn that off, that will help my battery? I'm starting to use Nova Launcher so I can turn it off on my home screen.

I'm usually browsing these forums using Tapatalk. I rarely actually login online like this to type but I needed the customization that the forums could give that Tapatalk couldn't for my OP.

HOLY CRAP! 10 hours? Dang. That is ridiculous.

The only thing with off brand chargers, a few devices will test for a signal or a shorted pin to identify their branded charger. *If* a device has this 'feature' it will self limit charging speed.

I meant the Android Central website navbar at the top, it has slowed down the site a lot and my phone now gets warm scrolling around here.

Yeah long charging is a pain. A few people run into this with various phones, usually it is curable but going from a 3hr charge to 12hrs is a nasty surprise.

Posted via my LG G3

If your playback was stuttering, WAY too much heat was accukulated inside the case. That is THE time to either let the phone rest or at least remove the case. Sammys break their SD cards as it is, no need to do the job for them.

My heating issues happen and you can feel it through the case. I've had my s4 heat up to 108*F just 2 weeks ago.

That's a bit much. Inspect your battery for signs of failure.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The only thing with off brand chargers, a few devices will test for a signal or a shorted pin to identify their branded charger. *If* a device has this 'feature' it will self limit charging speed.

I meant the Android Central website navbar at the top, it has slowed down the site a lot and my phone now gets warm scrolling around here.

Yeah long charging is a pain. A few people run into this with various phones, usually it is curable but going from a 3hr charge to 12hrs is a nasty surprise.

If your playback was stuttering, WAY too much heat was accukulated inside the case. That is THE time to either let the phone rest or at least remove the case. Sammys break their SD cards as it is, no need to do the job for them.

That's a bit much. Inspect your battery for signs of failure.

I do not believe the LG G3 has that feature... Am I wrong?

Oh, I never visit it on my mobile except for on Tapatalk. So, that isn't an issue. I rarely browse the web as well. Mainly I'm on feedly, games, taptalk, twitter, and facebook.

Playback stuttering? It wasn't for me... at least not that I saw.

I did. I bought a new battery. EXACT same thing. It is ridiculous.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I do not believe the LG G3 has that feature... Am I wrong?

Oh, I never visit it on my mobile except for on Tapatalk. So, that isn't an issue. I rarely browse the web as well. Mainly I'm on feedly, games, taptalk, twitter, and facebook.

Playback stuttering? It wasn't for me... at least not that I saw.

I did. I bought a new battery. EXACT same thing. It is ridiculous.

General statement.

Okay.

Different person, just warning them.

Egads....that's kinda scary. Does your phone at least use less than 1% per hour when not in use?

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
General statement.

Okay.

Different person, just warning them.

Egads....that's kinda scary. Does your phone at least use less than 1% per hour when not in use?

I don't remember for my S4 but my G3 stated that I used 5% in the last 3hrs and while I was sleeping last night it used 12% battery in only 8hrs. :/ I have the quiet mode on plus 2x Battery Saver and I do my best to save the battery.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Anyone noticed this happening with the default charger?
bupu7e7u.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza