played with G3 for a couple of hours... why does screen look so washed out?

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
My co-worker let me borrow her new G3 during lunch. I played with it for a couple of hours.

I should say that I'm a Samsung guy. My last 10 phones were all Samsung(starting with Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy SII, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy SIII, two Galaxy Note IIs, two Galaxy Note 3, and most currently the Galaxy S5.

I wondered if my eyes and brain have been conditioned to AMOLED screens, since all 10 Samsung phones had AMOLED screens.

While I can clearly see that the G3's screen had higher resolution, the colors looked washed out, no matter what I played on it.(photos, 1080p MKVs, or just regular web browsing) Is the how LG engineers deliberate calibrate the colors on the screen? Or can my eyes no longer look at anything unless the colors are oversaturated like on all Samsung AMOLED screens?

305rob305

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the g3 and had Samsung before. Clearly Samsung is over saturated and brighter while LG has more resolution and less brightness. You'll get used to it cause I have

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
My co-worker let me borrow her new G3 during lunch. I played with it for a couple of hours.

I should say that I'm a Samsung guy. My last 10 phones were all Samsung(starting with Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy SII, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy SIII, two Galaxy Note IIs, two Galaxy Note 3, and most currently the Galaxy S5.

I wondered if my eyes and brain have been conditioned to AMOLED screens, since all 10 Samsung phones had AMOLED screens.

While I can clearly see that the G3's screen had higher resolution, the colors looked washed out, no matter what I played on it.(photos, 1080p MKVs, or just regular web browsing) Is the how LG engineers deliberate calibrate the colors on the screen? Or can my eyes no longer look at anything unless the colors are oversaturated like on all Samsung AMOLED screens?

Probably a mix of both tbh and the G3 does have I won't say washed out as they are great, but paler by comparison :)

Two different displays though and the G3's is very impressive but for some it hasn't met expectation.

Posted via Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm an Amoled guy! I LOVE Samsung displays! With that said....the G3's LCD IPS display is super nice to look at! 2 different display technologies but both equally impressive.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I should say that I'm a Samsung guy. My last 10 phones were all Samsung(starting with Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy SII, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, two Galaxy Note IIs, two Galaxy Note 3, and most currently the Galaxy S5.

Because it is IPS. AMOLED screens have redefined what a phone screen should look like.. The experts say that the IPS screen is a more accurate representation of colors.

Sent from my seriously HD G3!

Last edited:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I thought I was the only one....I have now played with the G3 twice, today at Verizon for almost 40 minutes during my lunch break.
In each case their was a "washed out look" to the screen. I took pictures of the same thing with my Note3 and the G3 and both pics looked great for the most part but again the G3 pic looked dull and/washed out. I also noticed that the screen on my Note was significantly brighter at 70%-80% than the G3 at 100%. When I increased the G3's screen brightness to 100% everything looked better but still washed out.
My purpose today was to actually pick up a G3 but I left without it.....need to think about this.
The Note 3 and G3 hardware/software are similar and I have no reason to upgrade other than I like the size and look of the G3 better.
I even purchased 2 Glass screen savers and a case in advance......DOH! I may end offering these items up for sale at a significant discount.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Why is this even a question? LCD is inherently more washed out than AMOLED...it's just fact. If you're used to Samsung screens and their saturation...of course you're going to think an LCD is washed out.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I thought I was the only one....I have now played with the G3 twice, today at Verizon for almost 40 minutes during my lunch break.
In each case their was a "washed out look" to the screen. I took pictures of the same thing with my Note3 and the G3 and both pics looked great for the most part but again the G3 pic looked dull and/washed out. I also noticed that the screen on my Note was significantly brighter at 70%-80% than the G3 at 100%. When I increased the G3's screen brightness to 100% everything looked better but still washed out.
My purpose today was to actually pick up a G3 but I left without it.....need to think about this.
The Note 3 and G3 hardware/software are similar and I have no reason to upgrade other than I like the size and look of the G3 better.
I even purchased 2 Glass screen savers and a case in advance......DOH! I may end offering these items up for sale at a significant discount.

Washed out Faded are wrong but subtle and beautiful is how I choose to describe. Its an amazing screen on the G3 but not everyone will agree and that is just the way it is.

So washed out I suppose is your take and that is fine.

Mine is subtle, elegant and a joy to look at :)

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Because it is IPS. AMOLED screens have redefined what a phone screen should look like.. The experts say that the IPS screen is a more accurate representation of colors.

Sent from my seriously HD G3!

I wonder what the upcoming Note 4's screen will looks if it has 2560x1440 AMOLED screen?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what the upcoming Note 4's screen will looks if it has 2560x1440 AMOLED screen?

It will look like my Samsung TV set to dynamic picture setting! Or bright enough to burn your retinas! lol! I saw a video of the QHD S5 in Korea and the screen looked pretty good. Maybe with the mixed reviews the G3 is getting on it's QHD screen the others will realize that 1080p is probably fine for a phone.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Good grief, what are you protector of all things G3? Just a cell phone champ, no one is calling your kids ugly.

Washed out Faded are wrong but subtle and beautiful is how I choose to describe. Its an amazing screen on the G3 but not everyone will agree and that is just the way it is.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
LG could have made the G3 with more contrast but instead wanted to focus on how much detail their screen can show. By lowering the contrast you can see details in the shadows that any other screen would lose and just turn black. They also added the sharpening just to prove how great their display is. Both of these were a mistake imo. I'm used to amoleds from Samsung but I'm also happy to not have my eyes burning from the over saturation in the greens and reds you get on Samsung phones. YouTube tech reviewer Erica Griffin has a fantastic review of the G3s display and it's factory calibration. She does this for all the phones she reviews. If you wanna nerd it up go check it out. I wish they'd let us tweak the screen calibration but I have a feeling most people would screw it up royally. At any rate yes the G3 has lower contrast but no screen these days has perfect or accurate calibration. I think the GS5 screen looks great and the G3 screen looks great too.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm used to amoleds from Samsung but I'm also happy to not have my eyes burning from the over saturation in the greens and reds you get on Samsung phones.

I quoted you here because I share with you these exact same sentiments! I've always used Amoled screens and have always thought that getting a bigger screened device would ease the burning/straining that I get after I've been watching a movie or reading an ebook for more than an hour. This is not the case with the G3's LCD IPS screen. Perhaps its the bigger sized screen of the G3 or perhaps its the lower saturation of it, or both, who knows! I'm learning to appreciate both screen techs for what they are and bring to the table for my use.

Last edited:

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site

If this (and my new crazy beautiful SAMOLED Galaxy Tab S) is any indication:

Samsung Galaxy S5 Display Technology Shoot-Out

Samsung Galaxy S5′s Super AMOLED screen called “best performing smartphone display ever” by DisplayMate

I have to say, I was an IPS evangelist. I even defended the Nexus 5's "washed out" panel (it actually, truthfully is) and still miss my M8's awesome IPS screen, but the results are in.

Samsung's newest SAMOLED screens are just plain more accurate than any IPS display on the market. DisplayMate isn't some fly by night blog.

The G3's IPS is nice, but SAMOLED has simply surpassed them from a technically accurate standpoint. I know, it's hard to believe.

Personally, I love the SAMOLED and knowing that current gen panels aren't just cartoony ala S3/S4 panels, that is icing on the visual cake!

I returned the G3. I really didn't care for the shadow-y text sharpening and felt the camera was just okay. Also the theme appears to be LG's direct incarnation of TouchWiz (I do loathe it - Nova fixes it in seconds).

Sticking with my Note 3 and waiting for the Note 4. By all indications, it will be worth it. I am one of the few who actually uses the S-Pen every day for quick notes, editing and so forth. Kool-aid I guess but it tastes good!

oyeyemi808

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

Same here!! I have no issues, Everyone has their own tastes.

sent from my LG G3

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I should say that I'm a Samsung guy. My last 10 phones were all Samsung(starting with Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy SII, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, two Galaxy Note IIs, two Galaxy Note 3, and most currently the Galaxy S5.

im sure people already posted this but here..
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g3/412412-color-settings-deeper-contrast-your-lg-g3.html

people are just use to samsungs super amoled.
there displays put out more higher contrast in colors making them pop out and blind u in the face.
in all reality colors arnt that blinding..

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I have grown used to the samoled screen of my droid razr and I have to say looking at the g3 screen is... Different. I can't say it's worse because I do like IPS displays. I always look over at my wife's iPhone and notice the different look. When I compare the screens in person, I find the g3 to be a big upgrade to my funny colored screen.

I compared to the s5 in store as well and while I notice the colors look better on the s5, I can actually see more clarity in smaller text on the g3. And the form factor alone is enough to pick the g3 over s5. Feels way better, and I love knock code.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
If this (and my new crazy beautiful SAMOLED Galaxy Tab S) is any indication:

Samsung Galaxy S5 Display Technology Shoot-Out

Samsung Galaxy S5′s Super AMOLED screen called “best performing smartphone display ever” by DisplayMate

I have to say, I was an IPS evangelist. I even defended the Nexus 5's "washed out" panel (it actually, truthfully is) and still miss my M8's awesome IPS screen, but the results are in.

Samsung's newest SAMOLED screens are just plain more accurate than any IPS display on the market. DisplayMate isn't some fly by night blog.

The G3's IPS is nice, but SAMOLED has simply surpassed them from a technically accurate standpoint. I know, it's hard to believe.

Personally, I love the SAMOLED and knowing that current gen panels aren't just cartoony ala S3/S4 panels, that is icing on the visual cake!

I returned the G3. I really didn't care for the shadow-y text sharpening and felt the camera was just okay. Also the theme appears to be LG's direct incarnation of TouchWiz (I do loathe it - Nova fixes it in seconds).

Sticking with my Note 3 and waiting for the Note 4. By all indications, it will be worth it. I am one of the few who actually uses the S-Pen every day for quick notes, editing and so forth. Kool-aid I guess but it tastes good!
Upgrading from the note 3 would be a little premature imo, and the gain isn't worth it, financially unless you can edge. But if you use the stylus all day, you're kind of locked into the note series. Which isn't a BSD thing, they're excellent phablets!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have grown used to the samoled screen of my droid razr and I have to say looking at the g3 screen is... Different. I can't say it's worse because I do like IPS displays. I always look over at my wife's iPhone and notice the different look. When I compare the screens in person, I find the g3 to be a big upgrade to my funny colored screen.

I compared to the s5 in store as well and while I notice the colors look better on the s5, I can actually see more clarity in smaller text on the g3. And the form factor alone is enough to pick the g3 over s5. Feels way better, and I love knock code.

Absolutely!! Samsung now needs to step up their game. They have the resources to do that!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante