Nexus 5 or LG G3

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of in a tough spot right now. I'm really tempted to get an LG G3 but I love my Nexus.
Has anyone gone or thinking going from their Nexus to an G3 and why?

Posted via Android Central App

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I gave my N5 to my girlfriend and got the G3. Both phones are awesome. Smooth, fluid and fast. I prefer the larger screen especially since this phone doesn't have a large footprint. I'm finding now that I'm loving the buttons on the back.

Sent from Frope's sweet G3.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Sold both my Note 3 & Nexus 5 to purchase the G3.

Whilst both the nexus 5 & Note 3 were very strong performers, both fluid and both had great features namely the Note 3 for features and Nexus 5 for the stock experience.

The G3 in this form and gorgeous screen despite how some perceive it, is incredible and I am glad I made the choice.

Plus I have the Z2 so all is well in the Duncan world of tech, keeping my eye on the Note 4 yeah I have an addiction lol

dyana9673

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I had the N5 also..the battery would die fast..my signal was low .
It was the red one & beautiful. I sold it on swappa.
Funny thing i had the N4 & 5 . I had the same problems with both.
I am not bashing the Nexus in anyway .
It's a great line. If it fits your needs.
The G2 & 3 they are awesome. I also have a z2 i passed to my bf he needs the waterproof. I don't i tend to baby my phones.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Bryant Laney

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I had the N5 but the battery life and camera just couldn't cut it. I travel a lot for work so I need my phone to last a whole day on one charge and I actually got better pictures with my HTC M7 than I did with the N5. I love my G3 it's typically got around 40 percent battery left when I get home after 16 hours working. The camera is simple but great.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I also have an N5 and have had other Nexus phones. I'm a big Nexus fan, but like others have said, battery life and camera are not great. Still, I'll be there again for the N6 buying frenzy.

It was just time for an upgrade, and I picked G3 over M8. Awesome device, however, the bloatware and OEM UI are reminders why I'll always like Nexus.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have both. The G3 is an all around more complete device. The nexus 5 screen is brighter (at same setting) and competes very well against the G3. The G3 is bigger and heavier and the camera, battery life and UI are nice. I actually like the N5 in my hand better than the G3. I also think the network connection and wifi are better on the G3.

The downsides to the G3 are all the bloatware from ATT and LG, like 25 apps. PMA charging and not built in. I also watched a few videos on the LTE connection and the G3 did noticeably heat up. I was surprised and did not like that at all. The screen is not that much better to put up with that. I have unlimited data and watch stuff periodically on the LTE connection.

I have till Tuesday to return my G3 and will be keeping my Nexus 5 regardless. I have noticed LG is not the best with updates, especially through a carrier especially with L coming. I wish they released an unlocked version. Not happy with the stuff ATT does to the G3.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I have both. The G3 is an all around more complete device. The nexus 5 screen is brighter (at same setting) and competes very well against the G3. The G3 is bigger and heavier and the camera, battery life and UI are nice. I actually like the N5 in my hand better than the G3. I also think the network connection and wifi are better on the G3.

The downsides to the G3 are all the bloatware from ATT and LG, like 25 apps. PMA charging and not built in. I also watched a few videos on the LTE connection and the G3 did noticeably heat up. I was surprised and did not like that at all. The screen is not that much better to put up with that. I have unlimited data and watch stuff periodically on the LTE connection.

I have till Tuesday to return my G3 and will be keeping my Nexus 5 regardless. I have noticed LG is not the best with updates, especially through a carrier especially with L coming. I wish they released an unlocked version. Not happy with the stuff ATT does to the G3.
That's what has been holding me back as well. People are saying the screen is great but not that awesome as it was hyped up to be. While you do have a bigger device which I still don't k ow how I feel about, you do get upgrades via the camera and battery compared to the N5. How is the UI compared to sense and touchwiz? I have been using a nexus device for the last 3 years and am very nervous about jumping back into the UI game.

Also that sucks there are so many bloat apps from at&t. I'm with T-Mobile so if I do plunge hopefully the bloat won't be as bad.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That's what has been holding me back as well. People are saying the screen is great but not that awesome as it was hyped up to be. While you do have a bigger device which I still don't k ow how I feel about, you do get upgrades via the camera and battery compared to the N5. How is the UI compared to sense and touchwiz? I have been using a nexus device for the last 3 years and am very nervous about jumping back into the UI game.

Also that sucks there are so many bloat apps from at&t. I'm with T-Mobile so if I do plunge hopefully the bloat won't be as bad.

The UI is actually ok. I have never used sense but it is much flatter than touchwiz at least versus the S4 I had last year. I have kept a Nexus device but it has rarely been my daily driver. I keep them to get the latest updates and I swap my SIM every week or so. I just sold my Moto X in anticipation of the X+1 and if that device has a 1080 screen and is at least 5 inch I will get that I am sure. Just need to decide if I am going to return the G3 and pay the $35 restock or hold it and sell it myself then the next big thing comes out. Yes the bloat as pretty bad...I disabled around 25 apps. The moto X only had a few from ATT so I was pretty disappointed to see all of that bloat.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I think people tend to forget that there isn't a lot of content for 2560x1440 resolution especially in video streaming.

That aside I think that the screen is stunning, and I'm more than happy overall with the G3.

I have the 2/16 and its smooth and zippy, and no high temperature whilst recording UHD, video streaming, web browsing.

All is well :)

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
The UI is actually ok. I have never used sense but it is much flatter than touchwiz at least versus the S4 I had last year. I have kept a Nexus device but it has rarely been my daily driver. I keep them to get the latest updates and I swap my SIM every week or so. I just sold my Moto X in anticipation of the X+1 and if that device has a 1080 screen and is at least 5 inch I will get that I am sure. Just need to decide if I am going to return the G3 and pay the $35 restock or hold it and sell it myself then the next big thing comes out. Yes the bloat as pretty bad...I disabled around 25 apps. The moto X only had a few from ATT so I was pretty disappointed to see all of that bloat.
I'm gonna head over to a T-Mobile store this weekend and really try and play around with this phone for a good while. If I do buy it, it will be at the full price so either way it needs to be worth it. I'm sure I will be holding on to my N5 as a back up. I still have my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 4

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I retired my Nexus 5 for the G3. The G3 is better phone all around. The only benefit of the Nexus 5 over the G3 is that it has better development for it.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Easy root and recovery. SlimKat ROM.

Of of the box, stock Android really doesn't offer much.

Yeah, stock android is clean, quick and simple. Its all I have known for the last 3 years. Nervous about trying a non nexus device but I think I'm gonna give the g3 a try.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Question is what's lg's track record on updates?
This is actually where I'm worried. I've only had LG phones, but before this, I didn't have to worry about updates with the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. The phone I had before those, the T-Mobile G2x, seemed like it didn't get the support it needed before getting pushed under the rug.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet