LG G3 Can anyone verify if they are having compass issues.

eelton

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can anyone verify if they are having compass issues.

I believe it's more the GPS heading than the actual compass. A standalone compass app seems to work OK. I've tried clearing data in Google Maps, and also uninstalling and reinstalling, but the arrow for direction of travel always points north.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I believe it's more the GPS heading than the actual compass. A standalone compass app seems to work OK. I've tried clearing data in Google Maps, and also uninstalling and reinstalling, but the arrow for direction of travel always points north.

Use sky map and you'll see its worse

Posted via Android Central App

eelton

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Is anyone *not* seeing this issue? If it's a software problem, I'd expect to see a lot more complaints about this, as it would be universal.

TheTruth5442

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Is anyone *not* seeing this issue? If it's a software problem, I'd expect to see a lot more complaints about this, as it would be universal.

Not everyone uses GPS as much as others (I, for example, never used it on any device I've ever owned [except for location (like for weather apps and such), which you said is correct, just the facing angle being off]). The reason why there are you guys noticing is because you use that GPS. It's probably, as a couple stated, a software issue that'll be fixed in an update.

eelton

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Not everyone uses GPS as much as others (I, for example, never used it on any device I've ever owned [except for location (like for weather apps and such), which you said is correct, just the facing angle being off]). The reason why there are you guys noticing is because you use that GPS. It's probably, as a couple stated, a software issue that'll be fixed in an update.
Yes, that makes sense. I only use the GPS and directional arrow a few times a year when I'm walking around an unfamiliar city (when I find it very helpful), but that happened to be the case this week. Without the arrow (mine always points north), you have to walk half a block to know whether you're heading in the right direction.

ngerber999

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I was 90 degrees off too but this was resolved by calibrating. It was easy enough. Spin the phone around on a flat surface three times, then flip it in a complete circle going away from you and finally to the left or right.

Sent from my LG G3 smartphone.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I was 90 degrees off too but this was resolved by calibrating. It was easy enough. Spin the phone around on a flat surface three times, then flip it in a complete circle going away from you and finally to the left or right.

Sent from my LG G3 smartphone.

Problem is you have to do it pretty much every time. That's annoying as I use it quote often and got tired of always calibrate.

eelton

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Well, I downloaded GPS Status Test & Fix and hit the "reset GPS button." It now appears the arrow is pointing correctly, although I've only tested it indoors.

Last edited:

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Well, I downloaded GPS Status Test & Fix and hit the "reset GPS button." It now appears the arrow is pointing correctly, although I've only tested it indoors.

Yes I used that also. It fixed then eventually will screw up again. To much hassle. Never had any phone act that sporadic with the GPS.

Lapse

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

In Google maps my entire directional system was pointing north instead of the actual direction I was going. Then I tapped the compass on the screen and it immediately corrected to the actual direction I was heading on top instead of north.

evancg

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

In Google maps my entire directional system was pointing north instead of the actual direction I was going. Then I tapped the compass on the screen and it immediately corrected to the actual direction I was heading on top instead of north.

That's because when you first launch the Maps application, it's locked North (so that regardless of which direction you move, you can look at your map to reference north).

The problem being reported (I have the same issue with two Sprint LG G3's) is that once you tell it not to lock north, it tries to track the direction you're facing but it's 90 - 180 degrees off.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

90°-180° off on mine. No amount of calibration will fix it.

tomc1944

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Checked mine against my Galaxy10.1 tablet and my wife's pantech phone and all are with in one degree of each other. Mine is at&t non rooted.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Sky Maps and my compass both seem to be working fine on mine after just checking. I don't use these often though so I'm not an expert.

I had a problem with the sensors on my initial G3 though. They basically all stopped functioning after about a week, phone screen wouldn't rotate, compass was just stuck in one position, etc. I had the phone replaced and they confirmed the sensors had stopped working and that this was a problem with some G3's.

Possible that it could be a hardware problem, maybe a common on? Strange though that you don't see to many posts around about this. I'd think if it was a common problem it would come up more then it does.

dlwicksell

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

FWIW, I bought my G3 from AT&T on September 15th, and everything worked flawlessly on it, except the compass. Both my compass app and Google Sky Map were having issues. Specifically, the compass heading was off by 180 degrees initially, and would often be locked to a heading, even while I turned it, so that no matter what direction I was facing, it registered as east. The compass app also always reported interference. This also happened on my father-in-law's G3, bought at the same time.

So, I did the recommended calibration that the compass app suggested, which is to walk in a figure 8 a few times. That did not solve the problem by itself, but what did solve the problem was to do a figure 8 calibration, while in the compass app, and then reboot. After the reboot, both phones have compasses that are properly calibrated, and the compass apps, and Google Sky Map both work flawlessly on both of the phones, and have for the past week and a half.

I use Google Sky Map and the compass application, as well as the GPS every day, and after the procedure I outlined above, they have all worked flawlessly. It appears to me, that LG may not have done an initial calibration at the factory, and that is why a lot of folks have this issue. And that would also explain why others have reported fixing it by using the calibration option in the settings (I never got to the point where I needed to try that), and why I was able to fix it the way I did. But that is just conjecture on my part. Good luck!

Xonemaster50

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site

FWIW, I bought my G3 from AT&T on September 15th, and everything worked flawlessly on it, except the compass. Both my compass app and Google Sky Map were having issues. Specifically, the compass heading was off by 180 degrees initially, and would often be locked to a heading, even while I turned it, so that no matter what direction I was facing, it registered as east. The compass app also always reported interference. This also happened on my father-in-law's G3, bought at the same time.

So, I did the recommended calibration that the compass app suggested, which is to walk in a figure 8 a few times. That did not solve the problem by itself, but what did solve the problem was to do a figure 8 calibration, while in the compass app, and then reboot. After the reboot, both phones have compasses that are properly calibrated, and the compass apps, and Google Sky Map both work flawlessly on both of the phones, and have for the past week and a half.

I use Google Sky Map and the compass application, as well as the GPS every day, and after the procedure I outlined above, they have all worked flawlessly. It appears to me, that LG may not have done an initial calibration at the factory, and that is why a lot of folks have this issue. And that would also explain why others have reported fixing it by using the calibration option in the settings (I never got to the point where I needed to try that), and why I was able to fix it the way I did. But that is just conjecture on my part. Good luck!

I will give that a try. I have 3 units for the family and will report results

Posted via the Android Central App

Xonemaster50

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site

I did as directed with no change
I did it 3 desperate times 4 x walking in an 8 holding phone in front of me. Then restarted phone. Any other suggestions?

Posted via the Android Central App

dlwicksell

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

That's too bad that it didn't work for you. I just checked and my G3 still has a properly working compass. The other thing you could try, that others have reported as working for them (but I have not tried, since I didn't need to), is to go into the motion sensor calibration in the settings, and follow its instructions. To get to the sensor calibration menu, go to: All settings->General->Gestures->Motion sensor calibration. I am not certain what sensors that is supposed to calibrate. It might just be for the proximity sensor, or the proximity sensor and the gyroscope, or maybe even those sensors plus the compass. But it is worth I try, if you haven't tried it already. Again, good luck.

mariusfilip

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I was using maps and notice the compass was off. Then I tried using GPS status to calibrate the compass but it's wonky and won't fixate correctly. This is not an issue for my M8. Can anyone else confirm they are or not having issues?

Thanks.

Hi! i'm also having compass issues with a G3 D855, i have to calibrate it every time i open an app that uses compass, i wanted to ask if you please could install Here Maps and see if ''Compass needs adjusting'' appears to you too....i managed to calibrate it, but after i close the app/ reboot phone/ switch GPS on/off , i have to calibrate it again, i managed to calibrate it only using the method in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3d00Hr14o
i didn't have this issue on my previous Galaxy S5 and Nexus 5.
THX

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21