G3 TweaksBox - Want to Tweak your G3? (Root Required)

xamadeix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: G3 TweaksBox

I just rooted and installed tweaksbox. Love the customizability.... One question though.... When Android L is released will we be able to to receive the update? If it matters I have the Verizon version of the G3.

You should be a to receive it. It'll break root and all customizations I believe.

Posted via LG G3.

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site

Does this enable a scrollable dock?? That's the only feature in missing from Nova...

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Question about tweakbox. Can it cause a softbrick? Also if I decide to factory reset will it go back to normal?

Posted via LG G3.
If you do a factory reset all Xposed stuff gets wiped.

As far a bricking, I've been playing with Xposed for a long time and I have yet to brick a phone. Got some whacky FC's when I caused some overlapping issues, but never anything easy to stop.

Make a nandroid backup in any case

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

The more I use Xposed and Tweak the more i appreciate them. So much control...

papelet

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

I said I was not doing it but I did it, I rooted my G3. Main reason: customization being tweekbox the way to achieve the look I'm looking for.
The last phone I rooted was a D2 so I'm really out of shape.
I already installed WCM, root explorer, Titanium BU pro, tweekbox G3, xposed, SU, busybox and every single paid rooted app I purchased back then... Can't find WCM recovery (maybe cause is not compatible?)

Now the questions!
1-Do I need a nandroid backup? I've read somewhere that since we have a locked bootloader it's useless to have i.e.
2-if I do needed. Can I use online nandroid instead of WCM recovery?
3-I'm not flashing any roms. I like the G3's UI and just want to modify it a little.
Can I still get Android L when it comes out?
Thank you guys

Posted via the Android Central App

joesf

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Thinking of giving this a go but have a couple of questions.
1, is towelroot the easiest method of rooting the G3.

2, does the g3 tweakbox have an 'appbar' option bar that you pull in from the left or right of home screen, fill it with apps that you can scroll through), I currently have Xblast tools on my Nexus 4 which has this included.

3, what's the process for undoing root for warranty purposes should the need arise?

I do like the idea of rooting devices, especially now with all these tweaking tools about, but I've never been brave enough to root while still under warranty, lol.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Can only answer #1 but towelroot and Stump Root to me seem to be the easiest. Personally I used Stump Root for what it's worth

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Why would I want to pay for this when Gravity Box is free and does the same basic stuff?

A) because $2 is nothing to reward a dev who does good work. Support the indie developers.... that's where all the cool stuff is coming from.

and

b) Gravity Box is designed for AOSP roms (like the Nexus) G3 Tweaksbox is designed specifically for the G3's Optimus UI, and will work a hell of a lot better. You have to be careful running Xposed modules that aren't compatible with your ROM.... you're liable to dump a whole bucket of suck on your phone.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I just rooted and installed tweaksbox. Love the customizability.... One question though.... When Android L is released will we be able to to receive the update? If it matters I have the Verizon version of the G3.

You should be a to receive it. It'll break root and all customizations I believe.

Posted via LG G3.

Not necessarily. OTA updates generally check to make sure you have both the stock recovery AND all factory installed applications. Rooting alone won't generally prevent OTAs, but if you use that root access to debloat the phone, or apply non-standard system apks, the OTA will likely fail.

But this phone is easy to unroot, too, so you can always do that if necessary to download updates.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I said I was not doing it but I did it, I rooted my G3. Main reason: customization being tweekbox the way to achieve the look I'm looking for.

Now the questions!
1-Do I need a nandroid backup? I've read somewhere that since we have a locked bootloader it's useless to have i.e.
2-if I do needed. Can I use online nandroid instead of WCM recovery?
3-I'm not flashing any roms. I like the G3's UI and just want to modify it a little.
Can I still get Android L when it comes out?
Thank you guys

Posted via the Android Central App

Only the T-Mobile version has an unlocked bootloader, so only that version can install a custom recovery. Devs are working on unlocking the bootloader on other devices, but until they do you can't install a custom recovery, and can't do a nandroid. I believe the only custom recovery for the T-Mobile version is TWRP.

There aren't any custom ROMs available yet, either.

See post above about Android L.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

A) because $2 is nothing to reward a dev who does good work. Support the indie developers.... that's where all the cool stuff is coming from.

and

b) Gravity Box is designed for AOSP roms (like the Nexus) G3 Tweaksbox is designed specifically for the G3's Optimus UI, and will work a hell of a lot better. You have to be careful running Xposed modules that aren't compatible with your ROM.... you're liable to dump a whole bucket of suck on your phone.

was just curious. I bought it and after using it noted it did many of the the same things as Gravity Box

joesf

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Can only answer #1 but towelroot and Stump Root to me seem to be the easiest. Personally I used Stump Root for what it's worth

Ah, thanks mate. Stump root seems as easy to use as Towelroot. Well that's #1 sorted.

Question for those in the know:
should I ever need to take my phone in for repair under warranty, would a factory reset wipe all signs of root do you think?

Last edited:

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Android L theme settings & Dialer available now :)

Attachments

• 1411047112246.jpg
    1411047112246.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 25
  • 1411047126808.jpg
    1411047126808.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 24

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis