G3 Front Facing Camera Issue - Wide Angle Stretch / Distortion

rube_

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just got the g3 and really like it, but the front camera seems strange. I'm not sure if I got a dud or if this is a side effect of the wide lens, but when taking a photo the edges are really stretched. It's difficult to even use.

Example:

295zgup.jpg

Any thoughts? I can't tell if this issue is model wide or specific to my device. Thanks!

drbol

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I just looked at mine. It seems normal to me. Do you have it on any specific setting? Mine is on auto mode.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mobile Nations mobile app

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
See if there's similar distortion when using it to photograph eg buildings.

Posted via Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I just tried the above...the front camera has a wider angle of view. To minimise distortion when using it for its prime purpose, try to keep your head more central in the composition and hold the phone square-on to your face, without tilt.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok I just test it out again. Maybe I didn't notice because my g2 does the same. I also take pics with my face center in the middle without tilting it.. Hmm I don't think a hardware issue but more an issue on the way you're tilting your head? Remember it's a camera, not a mirror.

Sent from my LG-D851 using AC Forums mobile app

Melody808

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Tried changing my settings and also tried using the low light option with the bright back light on. Still distorted. No distorted pics if I center my face but what about pics taken with friends? Can't always center my face for all my pics. Very disappointed since my camera is one of my most important features in a phone. Beautiful phone but not for me after all. Returned it after 9 days. Back to my iPhone. =(

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Tried changing my settings and also tried using the low light option with the bright back light on. Still distorted. No distorted pics if I center my face but what about pics taken with friends? Can't always center my face for all my pics. Very disappointed since my camera is one of my most important features in a phone. Beautiful phone but not for me after all. Returned it after 9 days. Back to my iPhone. =(

Wow that's all it took, i m never one to be shocked but what wouldn't annoy me might annoy another I suppose lol

Enjoy your iPhone.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Either im blind or something is wrong with my eyes because i dont see anything in the picture. Can someone point it out exactly?

In the picture that rube_ sent, the top of the head appears large relative to the whole head, and the head appears large relative to the body...in other words, distortion typical of wide angle lenses especially if you tilt them relative to the plane of the subject. It's not a fault, but a characteristic of that type of lens.

Self and group portraits would have to be very important to you to reject the phone for that reason.

beezlebubz

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
In the picture that rube_ sent, the top of the head appears large relative to the whole head, and the head appears large relative to the body...in other words, distortion typical of wide angle lenses especially if you tilt them relative to the plane of the subject. It's not a fault, but a characteristic of that type of lens.

Self and group portraits would have to be very important to you to reject the phone for that reason.

Yeah to me its more of him tilting leaning down towards the camera making the results look the way it does. i dont think regular pics taken with your face/head evenly in the view of the camera will produce the same thing cause i tried it a few times an the pics still look good an of course im not tilting down to it. Even with group portraits i dont think its an issue unless everyone is tilting their heads down.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah to me its more of him tilting leaning down towards the camera making the results look the way it does. i dont think regular pics taken with your face/head evenly in the view of the camera will produce the same thing cause i tried it a few times an the pics still look good an of course im not tilting down to it. Even with group portraits i dont think its an issue unless everyone is tilting their heads down.

Exactly and I use my selfie camera a lot. I love the feature of the open hand and fist to snap a picture 😃

Sent from my LG-D851 using AC Forums mobile app

Trader60611

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I got my G3 a month ago but just started taking pictures of people this weekend, and I am really upset at the distortion this camera produces. This is the "normal" (rear facing) lens, not the selfie lens. The heads look oversized and the proportion of people is all wrong. I am mortified that I purchased this camera. If anyone knows how to fix this embarrassing issue, or how to complain to LG for this malicious deception, please let me know.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^Could you post one or two samples, if not of people, then of anything which would make any distortion obvious?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781