Should I return LG G3 under insurance??

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I've been noticing quite a few issues that I wanted to combine into one thread... First my phone overheats... Bad. After simply browsing the web or here with the ac app. See...
8172.jpg

It auto cools down though...
8174.jpg

If you look at the pictures that is 5 min apart from one another and nothing I was doing changed...
This has happened since I got the device. No I have not charged it since 5:30pm today.

Also, when I try to unlock my device by double tapping then putting in my lock code the screen only stays on for 2 milliseconds and then turns right back off. Lucky this isn't a big issue but it is annoying.

I took my phone out with my dog the other day and I kept turning the screen on and it would stay on thinking I was doing the lock code. This would be a big battery drainer and hassle (I'd have to put in my backup code a lot) if I had it in a purse. Does this happen for anyone else?

The biggest thing for me is the overheating as that causes battery drainage faster than normal even though I still get about 12-20hrs on a good charge... With overheating. I'm shocked by that. Anyway, my s3 overheated but not nearly to thus degree... Advice?

Posted via Android Central App

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Should I return under insurance??

I was able to get some snapshots of8184.jpg8186.jpg my usage over the past 4 days...
8178.jpg8180.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't use insurance--this sounds more like a defect. Insurance would require you to pay a deductible. First, contact T-Mobile and go over with them what you've detailed to us. See if they will give you a replacement. If not, then contact LG and ask for a replacement under warranty.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

You're within 14 days you should go to the place of purchase and switch it out... Now lol

LauraWA

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

I experienced overheating when I switched to ART. If you are using ART switch back to Dalvik and see if it fixes. Also, have you tried a factory reset? It's the first thing they'll tell you to do.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't use insurance--this sounds more like a defect. Insurance would require you to pay a deductible. First, contact T-Mobile and go over with them what you've detailed to us. See if they will give you a replacement. If not, then contact LG and ask for a replacement under warranty.

Yeah I am about to call them...

You're within 14 days you should go to the place of purchase and switch it out... Now lol

I think tomorrow may be my last day so I'll call them now...

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Got it returned and they are crediting me. They are sending me out a brand new one first but I'm about to do a factory reset beforehand so I can send back as soon as the US guy shows up. Won't even let him leave without returning. Lol

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Yes, definitely a defective battery or motherboard. Glad you're returning.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Got it returned and they are crediting me. They are sending me out a brand new one first but I'm about to do a factory reset beforehand so I can send back as soon as the US guy shows up. Won't even let him leave without returning. Lol

That was quick. You couldn't have wished for a better response from them.

Curtis Martin

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I've had the exact same overheating experience. It'll spike to over 105 degrees.
I'm on my second unit (swapped first one after 1 week).
The first one was worse, it got as high as 112 degrees.
But this second one is still hitting > 100...
I got a call yesterday and it immediately got hot to the point of being pretty uncomfortable against my ear.

0-for-2 is not good... I'm returning it and going back to my M7 for a while and see if LG recognizes and corrects the problem.
Seems like most of you are having no heat issues at all, but there also seems to be a percentage of us that points to some sort of manufacturing issue.

Frustrating because I'm very pleased with everything else about the phone, but I paid too much for the phone to put up with this.
I'll wait a couple months and see if they fix it... or maybe the Nexus 6 will be a good alternative...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If it is immediately heating up then something seems wrong. But 112 F isn't terrible in and of itself, depending on what you are doing. I have seen 154F on my note 2.

8uzesady.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

If it is immediately heating up then something seems wrong. But 112 F isn't terrible in and of itself, depending on what you are doing. I have seen 154F on my note 2.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/24/8uzesady.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Holy crap. I would have returned the note 2 that you had....

I've had the exact same overheating experience. It'll spike to over 105 degrees.
I got a call yesterday and it immediately got hot to the point of being pretty uncomfortable against my ear.

0-for-2 is not good... I'm returning it and going back to my M7 for a while and see if LG recognizes and corrects the problem.
Seems like most of you are having no heat issues at all, but there also seems to be a percentage of us that points to some sort of manufacturing issue.

Frustrating because I'm very pleased with everything else about the phone, but I paid too much for the phone to put up with this.
I'll wait a couple months and see if they fix it... or maybe the Nexus 6 will be a good alternative...

Hopefully this one is better. I'll let y'all know when I get it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Yes, definitely a defective battery or motherboard. Glad you're returning.

I thought the battery was defective when I got it because the bottom part (not the one side that gives it power) looked like it was bent up a bit in an L shape like it was deformed on the inside... it was straight on the outside but there was a little lip at the bottom...
I didn't think of it until my mom brought it up the night I called T-Mobile but it could have been.

That was quick. You couldn't have wished for a better response from them.

I know. They are paying for return shipping and I don't think I am paying for this new one... cause they are refunding me for the old one. This new one cost less than the old one. 0.0 idk why exact same everything on the order... makes no sense but anyway I will make some money off of everything. Lol

I think so too. I haven't had any problems with my battery and I've been putting it through everything!

That's good!

Oh wow. Waiting for UPS to show up today. It is on the truck for delivery but it looks like the UPS guy will have a late night and will not show up until around 8 tonight. I hope sooner... He usually shows up around 12.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Hope your new phone performs better for you

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

I first read that as "I hope your new phone performs better on you".....lol

Lol that's just wrong

LMFAO

I finally got the new one and sent back my old one. I think the charger on this one is broken. It is emitting a high pitched sound and when I move it around it stops for a second and then starts back up. I'm going to check if it is the plug once it is fully charged (since this is its first charge) but from what I can tell now, it looks like I will be calling T-Mobile again for a new charger. LOL Just tested it and either 2 plugs in my room are making noises and I only just heard them now (including a serge protector; highly unlikely) or this charger is messed up. Either way I will be calling them.

Only me would have all of these issues.

On another note, I'm going to test the heating up before I call tonight. I'm only going to download GSAM because I want to make sure it has all of the default apps when I test and then I'll be doing the same thing I did before. Simply browsing forums. If it heats up again, hopefully, I can visit a store tomorrow since this will be the second replace.
I LOVE this phone but the overheating has to be a manufacturing issue.

This battery did have the lip on the bottom that the other one had... so I have a feeling it will be overheating but time will tell.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

So, I am going to try the charger one more time when the phone needs a charge but as far as the overheating. I've been downloading apps for about 20 minutes now (started for 20 minutes (about) just browsing forums) and NO overheating AT ALL. It has gotten up to 101*F max. :D

I'll see if maybe one of my apps may have been causing the overheating but so far it looks to have been my previous phone.

Right now as I am still downloading 375 apps (LOL) my phone is hovering at 100*F with my hand holding it or 99*F if I lay it on the desk. So, that is pretty good. Still warm compared to the 80-85*F that it is supposed to be but with what I am doing, I figure that to be normal.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

So, I am going to try the charger one more time when the phone needs a charge but as far as the overheating. I've been downloading apps for about 20 minutes now (started for 20 minutes (about) just browsing forums) and NO overheating AT ALL. It has gotten up to 101*F max. :D

I'll see if maybe one of my apps may have been causing the overheating but so far it looks to have been my previous phone.

Right now as I am still downloading 375 apps (LOL) my phone is hovering at 100*F with my hand holding it or 99*F if I lay it on the desk. So, that is pretty good. Still warm compared to the 80-85*F that it is supposed to be but with what I am doing, I figure that to be normal.

Ah, much better, sounds like you're on the right track