Whats wrong with US carriers and their LG G3's?!

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been reading the forum for a while and I completely failed understand the US mobile market. Absolutely.

Carriers are changing the software of the device and DISABLING stock features like radio or remove wireless charging?

This is outrageous! Why are they doing this and how people can let that?

I can't imagine carriers are doing this in Europe - even if they lock the phone for a specific carrier is super annoying, can't even imagine what should I do if they would make my phone worse on purpose.

Sent from my LG-D855 using AC Forums mobile app

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
They do it to make more money by selling you things they disable.

It's actually a great business move because most people are unaware.

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I can't believe that people don't care about that and they can do this in the biggest market (USA) on the Earth.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading the forum for a while and I completely failed understand the US mobile market. Absolutely.

Carriers are changing the software of the device and DISABLING stock features like radio or remove wireless charging?

This is outrageous! Why are they doing this and how people can let that?

I can't imagine carriers are doing this in Europe - even if they lock the phone for a specific carrier is super annoying, can't even imagine what should I do if they would make my phone worse on purpose.

Because the customers in the US market are hopelessly addicted to subsidies or ability to make payments for their device. The carrier can do what they want. The amount of changes and bloat on the ATT version of the G3 actually upset my stomach. This is also why the updates take so long because the carrier has to ensure that the updates work with all of their bloatware. This is among several reasons I returned mine.

Kudos to the Companies that make unlocked versions or developers editions of their devices that work here in the US. Until more people get off the carriers subsidy, things will not change and that is not happening anytime soon...if ever!

Say what you want about Apple, but kudos to them for not allowing carriers to change one thing on iPhone which is why updates come directly from Apple.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Because the customers in the US market are hopelessly addicted to subsidies or ability to make payments for their device. The carrier can do what they want. The amount of changes and bloat on the ATT version of the G3 actually upset my stomach. This is also why the updates take so long because the carrier has to ensure that the updates work with all of their bloatware. This is among several reasons I returned mine.

Kudos to the Companies that make unlocked versions or developers editions of their devices that work here in the US. Until more people get off the carriers subsidy, things will not change and that is not happening anytime soon...if ever!

Say what you want about Apple, but kudos to them for not allowing carriers to change one thing on iPhone which is why updates come directly from Apple.

Your last comment kind of ruins your whole argument. Apple is as proprietary as they come and do the exact same thing to customers in different ways.

Example: Siri. A free, cross-platform application purchased by Apple then packaged into the 4s to be sold for more money.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe that people don't care about that and they can do this in the biggest market (USA) on the Earth.

It's not that we don't care... It's just what are we going to do about it? We are busy trying to convince the FCC to not be stupid and allow fast / slow lanes on the Internet... A little thing disabled on a phone is minor compared to that.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Your last comment kind of ruins your whole argument. Apple is as proprietary as they come and do the exact same thing to customers in different ways.

Example: Siri. A free, cross-platform application purchased by Apple then packaged into the 4s to be sold for more money.

I am talking about the carrier changes to a device. Your issues with apple may be another topic. My point with iPhone is accurate.
Your buddy with an iPhone on another carrier is not different than yours.

Posted via Nexus 5

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Does the AT&T version have more changes and bloat than the Verizon version? Usually, Verizon has the most. I know that the Verizon G3 even was modified to have the Verizon logo on the front.

I would pay for the phone full up front - if it where cheaper. But in my situation, it is not. I am stuck with Verizon, even though they modify their phones, probably the most out of any US carrier, because their service is better than the competition where I need it, and because their price is WAY WAY lower than any of the competition, for my uses, which includes unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot. Unfortunately, no other US carrier offers the unlimited Hotspot option. I could pay for a data hotspot tier, but it would be insanely expensive for how much data I use. I realize my situation is probably in the minority though, as Verizon is generally regarded to be the most expensive carrier. Depending on the situation though, it may or may not be true for you.

Also, most of Verizon's current 4GLTE smartphones are factory sim unlocked. The only major US carrier to do so. There are Developer Editions that work on Verizon as well

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Whats wrong with US carriers and their phones?!

As long as new flagships can be obtained for cheap whether promo/contract/installments, all else is forgiven by the consumer majority. The more aggressive carriers take the opportunity to manipulate preloaded apps and sometimes UI in a way that can garner some extra revenue.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As long as new flagships can be obtained for cheap whether promo/contract/installments, all else is forgiven by the consumer majority. :(
It is an improvement though. Before 2 years ago, Verizon didn't have a lot of the major phones. Now, you can get most of the major phones on Verizon.

And if having a phone untouched by the carrier is your primary concern, then you can always buy an international version, if a US unlocked untouched version isn't available. It might not be fully supported by the carrier, though, it is an option.

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Wait what you can't even have hotspot on your phone, even this is a extra? Wow...

I also read that some carriers blocked changing ringtones! It's duckin ridiculous - what's the point of that?

Also, what kind of softwares are the installing on the device? (Can't really imagine. And even without that, there are plenty of bloat apps there originally too.)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wait what you can't even have hotspot on your phone, even this is a extra? Wow...

I also read that some carriers blocked changing ringtones! It's duckin ridiculous - what's the point of that?

Also, what kind of softwares are the installing on the device? (Can't really imagine. And even without that, there are plenty of bloat apps there originally too.)

All of Verizon's currently advertised plans include hotspot at no extra charge. But none of Verizon's current plans have unlimited data. I am on the legacy unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE plan with the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot add-on. Keep in mind, my average usage is about a terabyte a month so far this year. Paying for a terabyte of hotspot on any USA non unlimited plan would be insanely expensive.

Not all are Verizon, but most are

ugurapu9.jpg

ypu3y9ed.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Does the AT&T version have more changes and bloat than the Verizon version? Usually, Verizon has the most. I know that the Verizon G3 even was modified to have the Verizon logo on the front.

I would pay for the phone full up front - if it where cheaper. But in my situation, it is not. I am stuck with Verizon, even though they modify their phones, probably the most out of any US carrier, because their service is better than the competition where I need it, and because their price is WAY WAY lower than any of the competition, for my uses, which includes unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot. Unfortunately, no other US carrier offers the unlimited Hotspot option. I could pay for a data hotspot tier, but it would be insanely expensive for how much data I use. I realize my situation is probably in the minority though, as Verizon is generally regarded to be the most expensive carrier. Depending on the situation though, it may or may not be true for you.

Also, most of Verizon's current 4GLTE smartphones are factory sim unlocked. The only major US carrier to do so. There are Developer Editions that work on Verizon as well

Not sure. I had ATT. I disabled about 25 apps many if which were ATT. They removed the brightness slider from the notification shade and removed qi wireless charging and put in PMA wireless charging. With a nexus 5 and lumia 925 on qi charging, I was not going get a PMA charger. The carriers will do what the OEM's will let them do. I guess at this point LG does not have the chops to tell ATT no changes.

Posted via Nexus 5

Last edited:

billy10101

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I wish other companies were as fast getting updates like HTC is. Google needs to step in and act like Apple to get everyone faster updates.

Sent from my Verizon LG G3 using the AC Forums App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
All of Verizon's currently advertised plans include hotspot at no extra charge. But none of Verizon's current plans have unlimited data. I am on the legacy unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE plan with the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot add-on. Keep in mind, my average usage is about a terabyte a month so far this year. Paying for a terabyte of hotspot on any USA non unlimited plan would be insanely expensive.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

1 TB of data a month? You need counseling...really.

Posted via Nexus 5

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Wow, If I would have 1tb of data pm maybe I wouldn't mind the mods from the providers. :D

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

By and large, we are sheep. Look at the success of the high-priced iphone with tiny screen and limited options. People don't care. they want to be cool, and they want things simple. Everything else, including monthly charges, privacy, ecosystem cost, etc, are not on the radar. And the carriers are extremely business-centric. They will do anything they can make more money on and get away with. There are limited choices. America is pretty large, and if you want to have coverage where you live, where you work, where you vacation, and where you might travel to, your options will be one or two of the major carriers. If all anybody cared about was the zone from Boston, MA to NYC, there would be many more options, and competition.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
As long as new flagships can be obtained for cheap whether promo/contract/installments, all else is forgiven by the consumer majority. The more aggressive carriers take the opportunity to manipulate preloaded apps and sometimes UI in a way that can garner some extra revenue.

except with this G3. Nobody is selling it SIM-unlocked and so you buy at AT&T or Verizon, full price...and take their boatware and Carrier IQ and garbage and cripples. And you root.

At least HTC sells direct to consumer so you can get Sim-unlocked/bootloader-unlocked (Developer Edition) without any carrier disturbances. Not so with our lovely little LG. They sell only to carriers in USA so it's all going to be messed with.