VZW LG G3 Impressions

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have had this phone for about 4 hours and so far I love it.

Screen-Comparing to the S5 (I have played with a few different ones and I know a few people with them)
-GS5 has more contrast by far but the LG G3 has a more accurate color setting. I compared it to a properly calibrated screen and looking at a photo, both were very close in colors. I took it home and compared it to my laptop which hasn't been calibrated because I'm too lazy to buy a screen calibration and colors were very close. If your looking for real world color settings, G3 is the way to go.
-I went from a 540 screen and now that this is a 1440, I see a difference. But I also see a difference in 720P and 1080P screens as well. Comparing this to a 1080P is pointless. I cannot see any difference between this and a 1080P screen unless I held it very close to my eyes. But overall, I am happy with the screen.

Performance-It's very quick. No lags for me. I love APEX so it was the first thing I put on it. It's very smooth and it handles games pretty well. I only play fast and furious 6 and it was smooth and no issues for me. No lags or anything. I tried asphalt briefly and it ran very smooth but not my kind of game. Maybe once I try to pair a controller to my phone, I might enjoy it more but as of right now, I don't play it. I played modern combat 3 and it was again, smooth and snappy. I will most likely buying the new modern combat as well.

Sound-Not as loud as my Droid RAZR MAXX but loud enough. I would say the MAXX is slightly louder but not enough to care about for me. Lets face it, these speakers are tiny so sounds are going to be a little flat. Using an equalizer did sound much better but this is optional. An audiophile will notice but I'm not that big into sound, as long as I can hear it and it works, I'll be happy.

Signal strength-I know this is a big one and I would say nothing beat Motorola. The G3 comes very close. At the store, my MAXX was around the -100 and the G3 was around the -103. At home, I am around -108ish with the motorola and the G3 is very similar, about -110. I would say this is just slightly not as strong as the Motorola. Now comparing this to the S5 only at my house, the S5 was slightly worse than the G3 but I'm only going off that one data point so it's hard to compare to the S5.

Root-IOroot- Follow directions and it will be quick. Probably the quickest I have every rooted the phone. Took about 5 mins from downloading the files to completing the root.

Battery-Too early to tell. I went from 50% to 10% from setting up the phone the entire time and restoring apps.\

Also, important to know. I did a factory reset after I left the store. No reason, just since theres nothing on it, might as well do it.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I found that after I did the volume boost mod paired with Viper4Android FX sound app, the quality and volume levels increased nicely. I recommend you try this out. Found at XDA forums.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I always do a factory reset on a new phone after it initially sets up. I remember some other LG's that people were talking about that run better after doing a factory wipe before you start using it.

I also always do a factory wipe after a big OS update comes down.

It may be a placebo, but it makes me feel better, so that's all that really counts. :)

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I always do a factory reset on a new phone after it initially sets up. I remember some other LG's that people were talking about that run better after doing a factory wipe before you start using it.

I also always do a factory wipe after a big OS update comes down.

It may be a placebo, but it makes me feel better, so that's all that really counts. :)

I do the same as well. With root abilities and backup/restore available, it's easy and that hour you spend on restoring can save you weeks of headaches.

Sent from my LG G3 (tapatalk)

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Can someone compare the G3 volume level to the GS5 ? (Not music quality as no phone will sound decent for music even the M8 but simply for speech such as a podcast or YouTube video)

A month ago we compared a few phones in a Sprint retail store and the GS5 was
very low in volume , so much that it would be impossible to listeners to a podcast using the built in speaker unless in a dead silent room.

The GS5 was as low volume
as my Galaxy Nexus which I've been living with it's super low volume and refuse to go thru that again.

The GS4 was a bit louder than the GS5 while the G2 was decent and the M8 I guess the loudest .

Very curious to the G3 speaker loudness without using any volume hacks such as Volume Plus or EQ how does the speech or ringtone volume match up with the GS5? Thanks

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
It's nice to read so many positive comments from users. It has me going to the Verizon store to check it out, maybe even paying down my Edge 5S to get one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463