Fried Rice Mofo

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Nova Launcher Prime with Widgetlocker as my lockscreen (it just simply gives me more screen real estate for widgets like Nils).

My issue is I can't get Ok Google to fire when the screen is off. I have hotword detection selected from everywhere I can think of (Google settings, Nova). WL doesn't have an option furthest I can tell, but I used it with my S4 with zero problems.

Anybody else have this issue? If so, any solutions? Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I believe to activate Google Now when the screen is off the phone must be connected to a charger. I keep mine plugged into my car charger just for that reason. Hope that helps.

Fried Rice Mofo

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have it plugged in. Sorry I didn't mention it.

That being said, on my S4 it worked whether connected to a charger or not.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hotword detection in Nova is only for when you are on the home screen. The only way to have Google now working would be to set up Tasker, but you'd need to buy the app and figure out how to set it up. Battery life would probably take a big hit as well

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Disabled the hell out of that OK Google. I made long-pressing my home button bring up the power menu.

I recently noticed my Nexus 7 battery was dropping faster than usual. Looked at the stats a few times, and after the screen, the next biggest user was Google Search with its "keep awake" activity. I'm talking 20-30% here. You know where I'm going with this.

Why would Search stay awake when the device is locked? I had hot word detection turned on at all times. Turned it off, and it's not going on on my G3. This isn't a Moto X with its low-power always-listening processor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol