Support Group: Random Shut Downs

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

As expected I seems that I'll never be able to buy a phone without issues. After a few days of no problem my LG G3 started to join the exquisite group of G3s with random shut downs: LG G3 D855 shutsdown on its own | LG G3 | XDA Forum

It has been doing it every day since. Everything is fine but at one point I just notice my phone being shut off. A few seconds of pressing the power button restarts it and it behaves as if nothing happened.

I was surprised that I didn't find a thread about it in this forum.

Am I the only one having the problem?

I really hope this gets fixed soon if it's a software problem, and if it's hardware that we are getting some statement from LG to make the exchange for a new phone easier. When I send my phone in because it "sometimes randomly turns itself off" it will get a hardreset and that's about it.

Just letting off some steam here ;-)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh, let off all the steam you like. It would be possible to spend half your life letting off steam there are so many annoying things in life.
But regarding the phone problem, let's assume as a working hypothesis that all users experiencing this are doing something possibly bad without realising it. For example, have you got a pile of apps on your phone?

Posted via Android Central App

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh, let off all the steam you like. It would be possible to spend half your life letting off steam there are so many annoying things in life.
But regarding the phone problem, let's assume as a working hypothesis that all users experiencing this are doing something possibly bad without realising it. For example, have you got a pile of apps on your phone?

I've read through many of the pages from the thread I linked, I guess I have done the obvious things. And no, for the moment I prefer to turn my phone on every day to making a hard-reset. Takes much less time (and it didn't do much for many of those who did). Also, some users in the XDA forum stated that LG support told them they are working on a fix. Of course nothing official.

But let's do this.

I have only installed apps that are at least in the top 200 of my country from trusted developers. I have only installed two games, 2048 and Jetpack Joyride. I always close all apps in the "Recent apps" menu and have removed all removable bloat ware apps. All the apps I have installed:

Spotify, Adobe Reader, Android Central, Cisco AnyConnect (all my turn-offs were when it wasn't running), Canon CameraWindows, Chrome, Engadget, Flashlight LED Torch Light, Sygic GPS, IMDb, MeteoSwiss (federal meterology), My Orange (my provider), OneDrive, SBB Mobile (federal public transport), SRF and SRF Meteo (federal prodcasting), TripAdvisor, VLC, WhatsApp, WPCentral Forums, and all the Google Apps.

Any candidates there?

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Ooh, that's a lot of apps. I've always been generally mistrustful of apps because so often when I install them I get trouble...not necessarily because of the apps, you can't be certain after all, but sometimes obviously so (battery drain) and I tend to uninstall them fairly quickly.
You might consider booting into Safe Mode to test the apps-misbehaving possibility?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
...When I say That's a lot of apps, it isn't actually many at all...in fact, it's few. But I'm a nervous pervous.

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
...When I say That's a lot of apps, it isn't actually many at all...in fact, it's few. But I'm a nervous pervous.

Those are apps I use frequently. I haven't spent 630 Swiss Francs on a new phone that allows me to use less apps than on Windows Phone because the phone gets unstable when I use just a few of them.

Already the suggestion builds up even more steam. It's just silly. It really is. Those are very few apps, they have all very good ratings, if one of the highest-end high-end phones can't manage them I really don't know why anybody bothers with Android.

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I understand your anger at finding that a device for which you have paid a lot of money is not working properly, and your frustration at being unable to fix it. I doubt that the apps are causing trouble, if you say that you consider them trustworthy. I suggested that as a starting-point, that's all.
Let's go straight to the bottom line...either we shall be able to suggest a fix here at the forums; or you will consider waiting for a possible fix in the form of an LG update; or you must return your device as being 'unfit for purpose'. Since you have chosen to post on the forums, presumably you are hoping for the first of those options.

Steam pressure down a bit?

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I understand your anger at finding that a device for which you have paid a lot of money is not working properly, and your frustration at being unable to fix it. I doubt that the apps are causing trouble, if you say that you consider them trustworthy. I suggested that as a starting-point, that's all.
Let's go straight to the bottom line...either we shall be able to suggest a fix here at the forums; or you will consider waiting for a possible fix in the form of an LG update; or you must return your device as being 'unfit for purpose'. Since you have chosen to post on the forums, presumably you are hoping for the first of those options.

Steam pressure down a bit?

I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum. I didn't know that just discussing a problem isn't an option here. I really wasn't expecting that already the first poster assumes that all the LG G3 users that wrote 55 pages on the XDA thread I've linked are "doing something possibly bad without realising it".

I also didn't expect to be blamed for this problem, a problem that many people have, on a phone I didn't do anything expect installing some trusted apps. I haven't even installed Office because I didn't want to check "Unknown sources".

So I see, it was my bad to start this thread. I guess it should be closed then.

And by the way, your "options" are recommended for three weeks now: LG G3: 5 Common Problems Users Have, and How to Fix Them | Digital Trends

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I am on AT&T and so far no shut down what carriers are having the issue?

I think it's mostly the European variant, and it has gotten worse after the recent update. It also seems to affect more 32 GB version users. But that's only my impression from reading the other thread.

I noticed that the problem for me only started after the update. I don't know if it really has something to do with it, many report that the problem only started after a week or so.

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
It probably affects mostly 32 GB version because there are much more 32 GB versions than 16 GB sold, at least in Europe ;) .

In Switzerland only one store offers the 32 GB version exclusively. All the other stores and providers sell the 16 GB version. I wasn't aware of this being different in other countries.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Here only one carrier sales 16 GB version, others ale only 32 GB or both but there is only 30€ price difference. It probably depends from the importer of phones as they said they will try to get 32 GB versions.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum. I didn't know that just discussing a problem isn't an option here. I really wasn't expecting that already the first poster assumes that all the LG G3 users that wrote 55 pages on the XDA thread I've linked are "doing something possibly bad without realising it".

I also didn't expect to be blamed for this problem, a problem that many people have, on a phone I didn't do anything expect installing some trusted apps. I haven't even installed Office because I didn't want to check "Unknown sources".

So I see, it was my bad to start this thread. I guess it should be closed then.

And by the way, your "options" are recommended for three weeks now: LG G3: 5 Common Problems Users Have, and How to Fix Them | Digital Trends
No one is blaming anyone. Realize that these types of problems are not easy to fix, and that the people here do not get paid. We are just doing our best to help each other.

Also if you haven't already done so, contact LG directly, they are the ones ultimately responsible. They may be able to send you a warranty replacement. It is ultimately LG's responsibility to provide you with a working phone.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Also if you haven't already done so, contact LG directly, they are the ones ultimately responsible. They may be able to send you a warranty replacement. It is ultimately LG's responsibility to provide you with a working phone.

I have contacted them via email. I'm still waiting for a response.

I agree with you, unfortunately this is not a reproducible problem. Also, in Switzerland you usually don't just get replacement phones, you send them in and they see if they can fix it. That means they will test it, see that they can't reproduce the problem, will make a hard-reset and send it back. Therefore I would like to avoid this.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it's mostly the European variant, and it has gotten worse after the recent update.

Have you tried either a factory reset or clearing the cache in recovery? I am not sure how to do either, but it is typically a good thing to do after system updates.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I just hope LG sees these issues and comes up with a fix for them quick!

Given the speed with which they got out the European update, I think this is a manufacturer that's very much on the ball in that respect.