Lets Be Honest Here G3's Screen Isn't GREAT.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Well in comparing the screen to my Z2 sure colours are toned down, but its just by a fraction.

There is no yellow tint and whites are white and blacks are black.

Just not as vibrant as other panels and my Z2.

Still the screen is a beauty and makes for a fantastic viewing experience.

Posted via Android Central App

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Guess verizon phones are on par. I was thinking to return my phone but even the display phones had yellowish tint so i didnt bother plus all that work setting up the phone agian

Sent from my Encore using Tapatalk

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
i have att and i notice a difference here i took 2 pics one of g2 and g3

g3
e9etade4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjrhr7ktewrgvpw/20140730_061134.jpg

g2
de3ema2a

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5ix76r5rdij3jt/20140730_061209.jpg

zoom in and take a gander.

Also on 100 brightness

So verizons dont look like this? Must just be a company batch problem but actually oneplus one has customers with same yellowish tint issue and this is what they said.

"According to HYPERLINK "http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/re-yellow-screen.40239/"the company, there will always be a slight variance in the display’s color temperature because of different factories and batches. This is a very common issue and affects even the likes of the iPhone and HTC One so potential consumers should not see this in a negative way.
Secondly, the company has intentionally chosen a warm IPS screen from its display source — JDI — as it displays skin tones accurately and is better for gaming and watchin \l "movies. Lastly, with the lates \l "software update, OnePlus has further enhanced this warmness, in order to avoid fatigue while reading texts on white background.
"

Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
i have to admit comparing the g2 with g3 and galaxy s5.
the so called 2k display isnt great... also there's no use for it atm maybe in a few years i think lf just rushed it out just to be the first..
the g3 screen isnt even great the colors are off the whites are horrible it seems so dullish even with full brightness.
dont give me that crap about ooh well samsung has super amoled to make the colors pop out bla bla.
well even compared to the g2 why is it so dull. also i am aware of the color adjustment setting it helps but nothing can change the fact that the whites are still off and it still kinda dull on colors.

You're funny. It's not crap. AMOLED screens are designed to stand out. It's a fact. The colors are over saturated in my opinion. That's why I'm not a big fan of AMOLED screens. They hurt my eyes. I've always been a fan of Motorola because they don't use AMOLED screens. Since they can't seem to update their Razr line, I've switched to the LG phones because LG doesn't use AMOLED screens. The G2's colors look the same as the G3. However, the words are sharper. That's were the big deal is between the two displays is the words and characters. You're obviously a fan of Sammy products. I'd recommend that you switch over to the S5 now while you still can.

DarthRaiderHD

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
You're funny. It's not crap. AMOLED screens are designed to stand out. It's a fact. The colors are over saturated in my opinion. That's why I'm not a big fan of AMOLED screens. They hurt my eyes. I've always been a fan of Motorola because they don't use AMOLED screens. Since they can't seem to update their Razr line, I've switched to the LG phones because LG doesn't use AMOLED screens. The G2's colors look the same as the G3. However, the words are sharper. That's were the big deal is between the two displays is the words and characters. You're obviously a fan of Sammy products. I'd recommend that you switch over to the S5 now while you still can.

Hahan sam fan no apple fan no im not a fan of anything i owned one iphone and one samsung phone in my life.
Im just saying thats how my screen looks to me.
To the person who uploaded the pics ty thts how mine look .

DarthRaiderHD

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
So verizons dont look like this? Must just be a company batch problem but actually oneplus one has customers with same yellowish tint issue and this is what they said.

"According to HYPERLINK "http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/re-yellow-screen.40239/"the company, there will always be a slight variance in the display’s color temperature because of different factories and batches. This is a very common issue and affects even the likes of the iPhone and HTC One so potential consumers should not see this in a negative way.
Secondly, the company has intentionally chosen a warm IPS screen from its display source — JDI — as it displays skin tones accurately and is better for gaming and watchin \l "movies. Lastly, with the lates \l "software update, OnePlus has further enhanced this warmness, in order to avoid fatigue while reading texts on white background.
"

Okay yea that makes sense but is it fixable or do i have to return it and hope my luck of pull it isnt the same and not waste of time

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Okay yea that makes sense but is it fixable or do i have to return it and hope my luck of pull it isnt the same and not waste of time

I wouldnt bother but if it bothers u that much go ahead. Its not like its a defective unit. Its just the temp and saturation calibration. Maybe an update will come out. Who knows.

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
My whites are whiter than anything else. :D

So far this phone has the best screen/display ever - for me. :) (I had iPhones and Nexus phones.)

Sent from my LG-D855 using AC Forums mobile app

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, coming from the blue whites of my old Galaxy S3, I think the G3 is fine. No, the colors aren't as saturated, but that's the idea. And if you want a big screen, there's no arguing: 5.5" > 5.1"

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
It makes little difference what other opinions may state.

If you are happy with it and it works for you then that is all that matters.

Some enjoy the vibrant Amoled some dislike it.

Some say that HTC is a great panel some will disagree.

Some will say the QHd panel is washed out and dull and not a joy and that is OK but some will disagree.

Its about what the individual sees and what the individual enjoys.

Tbh yes the QHD is toned down, but colours are accurate, smooth and a joy to my eyes.

This is all that matters, if I'm enjoying it then someone's post saying its a rubbish display and lacking in comparisons to others doesn't really matter. Further to this not all OEM's are going to have a uniform display and they will all vary in different aspects.

I can't comment on the G2 to the G3 but i can comment on the Z2 to the G3 and whilst one is more saturated the Z2, the G3 is smoother and has a very nice tone.

We will all have mixed opinions on whether the G3's screen is dull n washed out, to it being the opposite and actually being a more toned down but warmer appearance.

The point being is that some will be happy with it others less so. This is OK and if you don't enjoy the display then there are other phones available.

The S5

The HTC One M8

Oppo Find 7 & 7a

Xperia Z2

And so on and so fourth.

Just enjoy whatever product you choose :)

sbeil

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
No yellow here and I'm very happy with the display on mine. But if you aren't happy with the G3, go buy something else. Pretty easy solution.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just compared it to my note 3 side by side with same internet page displayed, and I have to say if anything the note 3 has a tint to it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
what versions do u guys have because the us retail version from att and tmobile all have yellowish tint of white .

I visited 2 tmobile stores, and I immediately noticed the yellowish tint compared to my note. I specifically visited a website with a white background on both phones, and can confirm the yellow tint on the g3. Now, it's probably not noticeable until comparing it with another device, but it's definitely yellowish.

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I visited 2 tmobile stores, and I immediately noticed the yellowish tint compared to my note. I specifically visited a website with a white background on both phones, and can confirm the yellow tint on the g3. Now, it's probably not noticeable until comparing it with another device, but it's definitely yellowish.

I own the European 32 GB G3 variant and as mentioned don't notice a yellow tint.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I do notice the whites not as vivid as my Z2 but I can't see a yellow tint. Just a more subtle white.

Not saying this isn't there just I'm not seeing it.

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
The upper one is an iPad Air, the lower one obviously the G3. Both pictures taken with brightness at max in the same conditions. The brownish tint was made by the camera, and as you can see it's about the same on both devices. In reality they both just look white in my eyes.

Edit: Give me a second, I'll redo this in a more accurate way.

Edit2: The same test picture taken from about the same distance (notice the resolution difference of the screen ;-) )

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

Last edited:

DroidFox

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
The problem is people are now used to oversaturated colors, which are far from natural. However, once you use the G3's screen for several days, then go back to a Galaxy screen, you will actually see why the G3's screen is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21