Stock or different launcher, root or not

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to android as well and I don't fully understand the point of a different launcher. I installed the Google now launcher and other than giving me a dedicated Google now page and additional wallpaper, I don't see the difference. Am I missing something?

Posted via Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing something?

Not exactly. Let's see...

A replacement launcher allows you to tweak a lot of things. Many things can be perceived as minor to a person just starting out but for others (like myself) it's the culmination of all these minor things.

Whether it's adjusting the screen transitions or the app drawer style... maybe adding more rows and/columns to your home screens. Using themes for said launchers

Best suggestion is load an app called home switcher then load and try out several launchers. Experiment with them then try others. You may decide you like stock better who knows but it's about the options my friend.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Not exactly. Let's see...

A replacement launcher allows you to tweak a lot of things. Many things can be perceived as minor to a person just starting out but for others (like myself) it's the culmination of all these minor things.

Whether it's adjusting the screen transitions or the app drawer style... maybe adding more rows and/columns to your home screens. Using themes for said launchers

Best suggestion is load an app called home switcher then load and try out several launchers. Experiment with them then try others. You may decide you like stock better who knows but it's about the options my friend.

Why would you download an app to switch launchers when you can toggle between them all you want in the settings panel?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Why would you download an app to switch launchers when you can toggle between them all you want in the settings panel?

Sure you can do it that way too.

I use home switcher because...

Let's say Adw.ex launcher is my daily driver but I want to try something new like Apex. I put home switcher on both home screens during setup. Only to quickly flip flop back and forth

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I came from several years of Nexus devices only....was a little dissatisfied with the G3 but it has a lot of potential. Root+Xposed+G3 tweakbox and titanium to freeze some useless apps and its running beautifully. I also get a camera that puts the Nexus 5 to shame which is a big plus for me. This is coming from someone who hasn't rooted android anything since my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.

I would love a AOSP Rom like CM or PA BUT I am guessing that would break a lot of camera functionality.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Sure you can do it that way too.

I use home switcher because...

Let's say Adw.ex launcher is my daily driver but I want to try something new like Apex. I put home switcher on both home screens during setup. Only to quickly flip flop back and forth

You understand that it's right under the home screen in the settings menu, right? Why would you add an extra app for that? I could see if you changed launchers many times a day but....

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes I understand very well and I still like home switcher.

To each their own is the moral of this story

commasplice

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
For me the most compelling reason to use Nova Launcher over the stock LG launcher is so I can change the look of the icons.

The least attractive part of Android to me is the stock icons and how they're all shaped differently. Some are circles, some are squares, some are cut-outs of odd shapes (phone, Dropbox, etc.).

Nova (and other third-party launchers) let you use cool themed icons. Really classes up the phone look, to me.

For example, right now I'm using Cryten.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
For me the most compelling reason to use Nova Launcher over the stock LG launcher is so I can change the look of the icons.

The least attractive part of Android to me is the stock icons and how they're all shaped differently. Some are circles, some are squares, some are cut-outs of odd shapes (phone, Dropbox, etc.).

Nova (and other third-party launchers) let you use cool themed icons. Really classes up the phone look, to me.

The stock launcher allows for this.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Been switching between stock(really good), GEL(need I say more?) and the Nokia X Launcher (super clean) surprisingly leaning towards X

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I used to root but since nova launcher I really haven't had the need to. With Nova I can basically have a customizable stock android. Experience which for me is perfect

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

If you hold down the icon like your moving it but don't actually move it, a little edit symbol appears to the top right of the app and it allows you to change icons.

Sent from my VZW LG G3 (tapatalk)

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If you hold down the icon like your moving it but don't actually move it, a little edit symbol appears to the top right of the app and it allows you to change icons.

Does anyone know if our purchased icon packs like stark etc will work in the stock launcher

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Unless there's a way to export them to a jpg or similar file, I haven't find a way

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Unless there's a way to export them to a jpg or similar file, I haven't find a way

An apk is basically just a zip file. Download the icon pack, rename or open with zip app, and put the icons in a folder to use with stock launcher.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
The ONLY reason that I rooted my Galaxy S4 GPE was to have the ability to write to the SD Card. Now that I have the One Plus One and it's 64GB of internal storage, I don't need to write to an SD card......and the OPO doesn't have an SD slot, lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz