stock lg messaging app.

paofelix21

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
How is your experience with the stock sms app? I love how it look and feel but it lags. Any third party apps worth downloading?

Posted via Android Central App

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I have never been a fan of the stock messaging app on any device I have had.
I have tried a few and I love Go SMS Pro as my main texting option.
Just my $.02
Everyone has their favorite.

Mav. :cool:

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to start using Hangouts because of the Android Wear support. Now I can reply to texts via voice on my watch.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Textra after reading about it here and I really like it.. ??????

Ya I second that. I just installed Textra tonight and I love it.

I've been using Handcent for years, but it has gotten so bloated, and now their new version 6 is laggy. The reason I stuck with Handcent for so long is because it was the only SMS app which displayed incoming text on the lockscreen and allowed me to reply without even unlocking my phone.

Textra does that as well, except it looks a tad different in the way that it does it, but the end result is the same. Plus Textra seems better optimized and not bogged down with all that extra crap that Handcent has.

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed any lag with the stock messaging app. I used to use GoSMS and absolutely hated it. All the "Go" apps (SMS, Launcher, Locker, etc) are horrid. They have lots of lag, are bloated and the developer inserts nag pop ups in the apps and notifications whenever he updates. Just horrible apps.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed any lag with the stock messaging app. I used to use GoSMS and absolutely hated it. All the "Go" apps (SMS, Launcher, Locker, etc) are horrid. They have lots of lag, are bloated and the developer inserts nag pop ups in the apps and notifications whenever he updates. Just horrible apps.

Never liked the "GO" line of apps.

I like the stock app. I do. But like the OP stated, mine stutters here and there and it can get quite annoying but I still use it. I also like hangouts and would use it, but it seems (unless someone can school me??) you can't use it unless the other party is using it also.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Never liked the "GO" line of apps.

I like the stock app. I do. But like the OP stated, mine stutters here and there and it can get quite annoying but I still use it. I also like hangouts and would use it, but it seems (unless someone can school me??) you can't use it unless the other party is using it also.

I prefer the stock app as well and you're right it does stutter from time to time (for me it's when it is initially loading more so than any other time). Hangouts works fine for standard SMS and MMS and the recipient does not have to have Hangouts installed. It will work just like any other texting app. For instant messaging and video calling though, the recipient does need Hangouts for those features to be of any use.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the stock app as well and you're right it does stutter from time to time (for me it's when it is initially loading more so than any other time). Hangouts works fine for standard SMS and MMS and the recipient does not have to have Hangouts installed. It will work just like any other texting app. For instant messaging and video calling though, the recipient does need Hangouts for those features to be of any use.

That's what I thought about SMS. If I send a regular SMS to my wife using hangouts, she doesn't receive it using stock on her S4 but when she turns on hangouts, she'll get my SMS. Weird.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
That's what I thought about SMS. If I send a regular SMS to my wife using hangouts, she doesn't receive it using stock on her S4 but when she turns on hangouts, she'll get my SMS. Weird.

You need to set up Hangouts as the default messaging app in Hangouts settings. Then it should work fine.

Cmatt1971

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed any stutter in the stock messaging app, but I keep it pretty well cleaned out by constantly deleting messages.

I've tried other app but still continue to use the stock app.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app