Is it worth upgrading from the G2?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
If you love the G2 and it is perfect for you, I would be smart and stay with it until you need to upgrade or find the G2 is not performing the way you want it to.

Are you on Verizon? They give you $10 off your monthly bill if you are out of contract.

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
If you love the G2 and it is perfect for you, I would be smart and stay with it until you need to upgrade or find the G2 is not performing the way you want it to.

Are you on Verizon? They give you $10 off your monthly bill if you are out of contract.

Yes, I am on Verizon. I did not know about the discount, thanks. Do I have to ask for it or is it suppose to be automatic? I have 3 lines, 2 are out of contract.

Check out my YouTube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/user/heggood/videos

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I am on Verizon. I did not know about the discount, thanks. Do I have to ask for it or is it suppose to be automatic? I have 3 lines, 2 are out of contract.

It is possible that it could be a perk of the plan I am on. MORE EVERY UNL TLK&TXT plan.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I am with Verizon also and I upgraded from my 6gb plan to a 10th plan and the credit I get for that and being off contract pays the edge mostly rate for the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is it worth it? Probably. :)

• You get a batter camera due to the addition of autofocus
  • The UI is improved over the G2... it's simple, nicely colored and incorporates a lot of the flat UI elements that you'll see in the next version of Android. I came from a Nexus 5, and as far as OEM versions of Android goes, this one is sneakily pretty light on the dead weight... Not Moto X light, but LG's changes are more along the lines of a theme than a complete OS overhaul.
  • Dat screen

Performance and battery wise.... the extra boost from the 801 chip is balanced out by allll those extra pixels, so you aren't going to gain much there. It feels about as fast as a Nexus 5 to be honest (about as smooth as the Nexus that I dropped its density to 400 or so, it's not as buttah as full stock, but nothing is). And your battery life takes a bit of a hit due to the increased load of the screen. BUT..... it's not that big a deal to be honest. Hell, I came from the G2's little brother and its tiny 2100mah battery and I'm more than happy with the charge life.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes! Everything about it was improved especially the UI.

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras." MacKenzie (The Newsroom, HBO)

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Anyone that went from the G2 to the G3, is it worth the upgrade? I love my G2, best phone I've had by far. Not anything wrong with it but I am eligible for 2 upgrades. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Check out my YouTube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/user/heggood/videos
I bought my wife a G2 a few months ago.
There are really only a few reasons to upgrade.
1. Removable battery
2. MicroSD
3. Screen
4. Camera?

If any of those is really important, then do it. Otherwise wait.
The main reason I went for a Galaxy S4 last year and the G3 this year over the G2 is the microSD support.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd say maybe.

For me it was a easy choice getting the G3 but really I didn't think there was much wrong with the G2.

I had an upgrade and the G3 was out lol no brainer.

If I already has a G2 i probably wouldn't have bought the G3 (that's not the truth)

Posted via Android Central App

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Enjoying my G2. Does everything the g3 does, so for me not worth selling my g2 for 200 and spending 600 on the g3. Note 4, maybe.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It's not worth the switch if solid battery life and smooth performance are important to you. The G3 is a laggy, overheating mess. As far as user experience, G3 is a fail.

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the G2 before the Kit Kat update and I loved it. I got impulsive and switched devices and still think of the G2 as one of the best phones I've ever had. I had the G3 for a month and liked a lot about it, but I have fonder memories of the G2. To me, G2 had better battery life, and was great as a daily driver. The G3 was good, but needs improvement in a few major areas to be a real contender. If you don't have $$$ burning a hole, hang on to the G2 and you should be fine.

LGElectronics

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi Heggood,
If a phone's worth is measured by how much better it is over it's predecessor and has garnered rave reviews and is being as probably not only the best android phone this summer but ever, then yes, it is every bit worth the upgrade! There are many more people like VW Maverick who are saying just the same thing and are more than satisfied with the G3!^IV

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi Heggood,
If a phone's worth is measured by how much better it is over it's predecessor and has garnered rave reviews and is being as probably not only the best android phone this summer but ever, then yes, it is every bit worth the upgrade! There are many more people like VW Maverick who are saying just the same thing and are more than satisfied with the G3!^IV

Lg's G3 upgrades from the G2 are a bit over incremental. You have a redesign that is quite outstanding and the build is great, expandable storage and removable battery, Ui redesign and upgraded Camera features eg laser autofocus not to mention the 2560x1440 display.

Is it worth upgrading, I think that opinion is up to the person in question in whatever best meets his needs and likes.

But the G3 in many ways is a great upgrade over the G2.

However Lg should have went with a 3500mah battery, they did with the G3 Beat, why not make that available for the G3?

But that said I average between 4 1/2-5hrs screen on which is nice but would quite like that bit more juice :)

Hint Hint.

Posted via Android Central App

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
For me it comes down to how much it costs to upgrade from a G2 to G3. For most, you'll be a year into your two year contract so an upgrade will be more than the $200 upgrade... probably looking at full price. Do I think it's worth paying full price to go from G2 to G3? No. The improvements are not that earthshaking to warrant it... The batterylife on the G2 is better than G3. The screen on the G2 is excellent and like I said on another thread watching comparing a youtube video at 1440 vs. a Note 3 at 1080... I could barely tell the difference. Personal pref... I like the tad bit smaller size of the G2 over the G3 where I can live with a 5.2" screen over 5.5"... that's the difference between holding the phone 12" away from you than holding it 14" away from you lol. And for me, I don't need a removeable battery or microsd card slot bad enough to pay full price. And there have been a software update or two on the G2 already so you have a higher version of KK than the G2 and most bugs are sorted.

I'd pay a $200 upgrade I guess if I could get it for that to satisfy the tech junkie in me to get the new features... and theG3 camera IMO is much better than the G2 camera and that means a lot to me.

As it is, I got the G3 for free and still have my G2... so I'm happy to be rocking the G3 because it is a good upgrade over the G2 and I'll have my upgrade availbable next year when the G4 comes out... unless I can get another free one from work ;)

GunmetalR56

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's not worth the switch if solid battery life and smooth performance are important to you. The G3 is a laggy, overheating mess. As far as user experience, G3 is a fail.

I wouldn't characterize it as a fail. Personally I'm finding the user experience to be pretty good. I have solid battery life and mostly smooth performance with my G3. An update or 2 should round out most things outside of the QHD screen battery penalties.

I have yet to have it overheat but it has gotten warm now and then (then again so has my Note 2).