LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

Klanbo

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm on my 2nd G3 after returning the 1st due to poor reception. However, things are no better!

I'm on O2 in the UK and have done a number of comparisons against my old iphone 5 and my work Galaxy S3. The dbm on my G3 is always around 8-10 dbm worse. I get around 10 dropouts on my 25 minute drive to work, my iPhone drops out once.

What I want to know is, am I just unlucky and have received 2 dodgy phones or are there lots of people having similar issues?

I've read some comments saying the G3 reception is great. I don't seem to have a problem on 4G, but GPRS and HSPA just can't seem to hang on to a signal in weaker areas.

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
There are some threads from other UK users a very long way down, posted when the G3 was new to the UK, describing similar issues, so you're not alone, and some US users have similar trouble.

Posted via Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm on EE and all is well and have compared the G3 with the Note 3 briefly before i sold it and the G3 was marginally better.

As between the G3 and Xperia Z2 about the same but haven't felt the need to do in depth studies.

Not sure if its a case of bad luck, but I would fall under the first batch and usually there are issues but nope all has been very well indeed.

Its not a generic thing obviously so it must be bad luck to get served up with two defective products.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm on my 2nd G3 after returning the 1st due to poor reception. However, things are no better!

I'm on O2 in the UK and have done a number of comparisons against my old iphone 5 and my work Galaxy S3. The dbm on my G3 is always around 8-10 dbm worse. I get around 10 dropouts on my 25 minute drive to work, my iPhone drops out once.

What I want to know is, am I just unlucky and have received 2 dodgy phones or are there lots of people having similar issues?

I've read some comments saying the G3 reception is great. I don't seem to have a problem on 4G, but GPRS and HSPA just can't seem to hang on to a signal in weaker areas.

I have the same problem. On my second G3 because I sound like I'm in a tunnel. But my dBm reading in the G3 has been 15-20 points higher.

Klanbo

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
So it seems more likely that there is perhaps a faulty batch. When looking through the forums, the issues only seem to be with O2 or Three, does anyone on EE or Vodafone have reception / signal issues.

Also, just to add a bit more detail about the issue, I'm at home in the exactly the same spot and my signal is fluctuating between 2 and 5 bars (83 to 105 dbm) and keeps jumping between HSPA and HSPAP. It's not that one connection type is weak and the other is strong either, they can both get a strong signal. Bizarre!

Might have to risk getting a 3rd phone to see if I get lucky next time :)

ksmi55

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I work for AT&T near the Chicagoland area, and we have had almost half of the G3's we have sold returned due to signal issues in fringe areas, it seems that it works great in LTE but anything in HSPA area its getting horrible data connection and bad call reception.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I work for AT&T near the Chicagoland area, and we have had almost half of the G3's we have sold returned due to signal issues in fringe areas, it seems that it works great in LTE but anything in HSPA area its getting horrible data connection and bad call reception.
I don't know if it's related but my wife had a G3 for a week and the signal bars would fluctuate from one bar to 4 bars every few seconds while my HTC M8 stayed locked on a full 5 bars, sitting side by side.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it's related but my wife had a G3 for a week and the signal bars would fluctuate from one bar to 4 bars every few seconds while my HTC M8 stayed locked on a full 5 bars, sitting side by side.

Not sure that's a big deal. I'd check both your dBm's and see if they fluctuate like your signal bars. My guess is they'll be more constant.

Klanbo

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I've just got my 3rd G3 and finally things are looking up. I'm in Dubai and they are much cheaper here so took a chance. As well as signal issues i had back home on my old G3, the heat issue was much worse, although admittedly it's 45 degrees here.

Picked up a 32gb white version and where my old phone was getting up to 80 degrees, this one hasn't gone much past 60 (and i am sat on the beach typing this and it's HOT!)

Can't really comment on signal yet as I'm roaming and have 5 bars most of the time on both old and new G3's here. It seems like the signal, heat and battery drain might all be related.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I am on AT&T and have not had an issue at all. I just switched from verizon after 15 years and I am very surprised on how well the service works on AT&T it's much better than what I got on Verizon.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile unit here... No signal issues on Wi-FI, LTE or HSPA, Wi-Fi. Haven't had any issues and it's been performing pretty much on par with the other phones I've had.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll chime in. I'm still on my first Verizon G3 here in the states, but I am going in to have it replaced this weekend. Same issue. Spotty reception. I'll have 2-3 bars of 4G strength, then it'll just drop completely off and switch to 3G without being moved. Then it'll drop to 1X which doesn't work any longer here, so no surfing. Switching to airplane mode and back only helps sometimes. Other times I have to completely reboot the phone. I'm hoping it's just a bad phone, and not an under lying problem with the G3's radio.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll chime in. I'm still on my first Verizon G3 here in the states, but I am going in to have it replaced this weekend. Same issue. Spotty reception. I'll have 2-3 bars of 4G strength, then it'll just drop completely off and switch to 3G without being moved. Then it'll drop to 1X which doesn't work any longer here, so no surfing. Switching to airplane mode and back only helps sometimes. Other times I have to completely reboot the phone. I'm hoping it's just a bad phone, and not an under lying problem with the G3's radio.

Same issues here on AT&T. Been through 3 phones.. All do it

thompsonmp

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with my lg g3 with o2.

4g seems fine/better, anything else I can't even load a webpage.

Movement seems to be a big issue too, I rarely get signal driving, much worse than my s4 with 3 on 3g.

I'm getting a new SIM to rule that out but it looks like a software issue (I hope, rather than hardware)

Klanbo

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I really hope this is a software issue too as I'm still having a signal problem on my 3rd phone, although no overheating with this latest one and no lag either (it's the 32gb international version).

Don't suppose anyone knows anything about a potential fix coming?

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I really hope this is a software issue too as I'm still having a signal problem on my 3rd phone, although no overheating with this latest one and no lag either (it's the 32gb international version).

Don't suppose anyone knows anything about a potential fix coming?

I called LG and AT&T .. Both say we haven't had any issues that they have heard of. Which is bull.. Unfortunately I love this phone, but I keep losing cell signal and data constantly new dimension and reset network did not help. Got a new Galaxy s5 active and knock on wood no problems. I just couldn't wait to see if it's just an update fix. I've missed several calls already from my wife..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay