On The Fence - LG G3 or Note 4

GrassyKnoll312

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. This is just what I was looking for. I'll end up with either the G3 or N4 and yes I'll use my 14 day window to decide one way or another. Good to hear the majority of you are enjoying your G3. Thanks again.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You can wait for the note 4. But Iike others said. There's always something new around the corner.

I won't even begin to imagine how heavy Touchwiz will be in that thing..heh. While everyone else is putting their UIs on crash diets, Samsung will send theirs to the buffet line with two extra large plates.

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
This is why I questioned (thread in General) Carrier's modifying OEM?

I've only been with Bell for less than a year but even than 4 years with Rogers, I've only had 1-2 issues with my toys, the S5 was one of them. Waking up with Black Screen and Charging, I exchanged it and no problems whatsoever. My G3 had lag but after Nova Prime, IDK it just disappeared(?) but more importantly BOTH are on ART and are performing EVEN BETTER.

The only issue I had from OP's list is the over heating but again it was my fault. Hot day, in the car with direct sunlight and streaming YouTube. It's strange I've never put any of my other phones in that situation but for reason I did with the G3. I got a warning but that's it.

Why can't OP buy the G3 and return if he/she is not happy with it?

Sure they can but they came here asking for advice.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I won't even begin to imagine how heavy Touchwiz will be in that thing..heh. While everyone else is putting their UIs on crash diets, Samsung will send theirs to the buffet line with two extra large plates.

Yeah Samsung just cant let the heavy touchwiz go, they tried with the S5 and Tablets with the Magazine Ux but it was all a half hearted attempt.

Posted via the Android Central App

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Well you'll never know now whether that device was OK lol

Of the many millions of G3's sold only a few if you look at the scale are effected to the point you have to return.

Like all things mass produced you will get defective units.

I would of checked out and atleast of given it a trial to see if all was OK.

I gather there will be issues with the Note 4 and Moto X ect it happens.

The day where there is not one single issue with any device well not worth coming out with anything here other than it won't happen lol

Good luck with whatever you choose & can understand its hard with options available :)

It's just not what I needed to hear after doing so much research and asking question. Had those people not been there returning theirs I would have walked out with a brand new G3. Who knows, I might have been happy LOL. OH well. I'll just sit tight. No harm in waiting. I have a perfectly good boring iPhone :) that doesn't overheat :)

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
It's just not what I needed to hear after doing so much research and asking question. Had those people not been there returning theirs I would have walked out with a brand new G3. Who knows, I might have been happy LOL. OH well. I'll just sit tight. No harm in waiting. I have a perfectly good boring iPhone :) that doesn't overheat :)

Don't absorb all that overheating issues or try to be balanced ( for my usage quite heavy, media, video streaming, browsing, photos &video and even done a UHD test and it was fine & I'm running the lower 2gb ram version).

Not saying you should ignore but rather look at the bigger picture.

All devices will have niggles at launch, and some defective.

But take your time and just do what you feel comfortable with :)

Lawyerman1000

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I switched from iPhone to G3 last week and couldn't be happier. Much easier transition than I thought it would be. My only issues so far with the phone are some incompatible apps. Most important for me are Microsoft office 360 and ESPN but I'm hopeful that they'll be resolved soon enough.

The phone is intuitive and the operating system is quite good. Battery life isn't the greatest but I'm a power user and on the phone most of the day (much to my wife's chagrin). Not like I was getting a whole day from iPhone either.

I'm happy with my decision. You should take the plunge and be happy with yours too. One way or the other.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Since September is around the corner and you said you're not a spec chaser, you might as well wait. The G3 will still be available and you'll have more options to choose from.

It's a great phone but everyone has different preferences. Note 4 seems pricey, but some other stuff is coming so I would wait a tad longer.

Grifter9931

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the phone and have yet to experience any over heating. Maybe its the way i use my device, but i have yet to experience this issue.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been a Samsung owner for a few years until I upgraded to the G3. Granted the Note 4 might have a couple of added bells and whistles BUT, LG smokes Samsung in reception capability. I have done dBm comparisons at the Verizon store and my S4 read -85dBm and the G2 read -60dBm. That's a huge value added feature. Who cares if the phone will come with an 805 chipset if it has lousy reception? My G3 is right in line with the S5 and M8 in benchmarks and it has a phenomenal screen.

My only complaint is that the battery doesn't quite last 12 hours. Granted I'm a heavy user but LG should have put 3,800mAh in the phone instead of the stock 3,000mAh. I haven't had any overheating issues like some people have mentioned and like I said, I'm a heavy user. LG hit a home run with the G3.

AlfBriggs

May 19, 2014
Visit site
If your a spechead then Note4, a beauty spotter (aha) get the G3, I'm assuming you'll be using a launcher over the LG and touch wiz skin as both are clunky and awful (IMO)

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
If your a spechead then Note4, a beauty spotter (aha) get the G3, I'm assuming you'll be using a launcher over the LG and touch wiz skin as both are clunky and awful (IMO)

Can't see it myself in terms of Lg's skin being clunky or obtrusive. Lg have done a great job with the design and hiding the likes of qslide and remote behind toggles.

They have lightened it more so than Samsung and in my opinion its a nicely designed launcher. I'm usually one that opts for Apex but I'm 2+ months in and I'm still on stock.

But we all have our own take on things.

AlfBriggs

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Can't see it myself in terms of Lg's skin being clunky or obtrusive. Lg have done a great job with the design and hiding the likes of qslide and remote behind toggles.

They have lightened it more so than Samsung and in my opinion its a nicely designed launcher. I'm usually one that opts for Apex but I'm 2+ months in and I'm still on stock.

But we all have our own take on things.

I only tried on G2 and a few minutes in shop on G3 I have to admit it was less obtrusive and from what you've said maybe good! Might try it out a bit more.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I only tried on G2 and a few minutes in shop on G3 I have to admit it was less obtrusive and from what you've said maybe good! Might try it out a bit more.

Think you should give it a go and it might lead to a purchase.

In terms of design Lg and Sony's skin are different. But I rate them both for their efforts in yes implementing their own skin, but putting time and effort into lightning and like Lg keeping things out the way.

Samsung's hold on TW is strong and they don't really want to change it to the degree that both above have done.

Try it and report back :)

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Nexus 5 owner, so I can only speak on what attracts ME about these devices.

I think in all the hubbub about the G3's big high-resolution display, it's easy to forget about some of the other cool features the phone offers; the rear buttons and knock code feature are some little things you likely won't find on any other phone out there (even if another manufacturer does do it, it's only because LG did it first). Think about the little (and big) features exclusive to the G3 that you would like to have over the next two years.

The Note's biggest exclusive feature, of course, is the S-Pen. I would ask, is that something you are even interested in? I've used the S-Pen from my dad's Note 1 a little bit, and I personally couldn't think of any "gotta-have-it" usage scenarios for myself.

Also, with Samsung you're talking about the world's largest electronics company & world's largest smartphone maker; when you buy into a Samsung phone, you get the fringe benefit of more accessories, more aftermarket software development, a larger community of fellow users, etc. than any other manufacturer out there (only Apple compares), just because of the sheer number of devices out there. There's something to be said for that. You also get all the bloatware and mainstream mass-market bs that comes along with being #1 (who really needs a heart rate sensor, EVER? I think they add crap just to say they have it).

Like I said, I encourage you to think about which of these phone's features will enrich your life over the next two years. For what it's worth, every LG G2 owner I've ever spoken with has said they absolutely love it (haven't met any G3 owners yet). And take the complaints with a (large) grain of salt; I never experienced any of the alarmist issues talked about online with my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 2012 or Nexus 7 2013. The Note 4 forums will have just as many at launch (probably more, as it will likely be purchased by more people). Always buy from a reputable company, and if get a malfunctioning phone, you can just take it back and get a different one.

Good luck! :D

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not an Android fan. And defiantly not a Samsung fan but I think you should go with the Note 4. It'll pretty much be the best phablet of the year. And hopefully we have some metal in there like the Alpha.

And I'm sure the Note 4 camera will **** on the G3. As well as on battery life, qHD display and processor is going to speed up a lot on the Note 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rachallyy

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Lag: not an issue for me. I find surfing the net faster than my IPhone

Overheating: I have noticed the phone feeling hot a few times but have had no warning screens. I do have a case on it.

Screen: love the screen colors etc and the brightness is great but mine stays at 100%. I can see it really well in bright sunlight.

Battery: not great for me, my WiFi and Bluetooth usually stay on though. But it's a compromise I'm willing to make for the screen size and display.

Camera: some complain about the colors but I find them vibrant. Of course I've never had a Samsung and it seems to be those who see this as an issue.

Text: looks crisp to me and just right

Love the. Knock feature, the camera, the volume buttons on back, the G3 WATCH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12