Nervous about switching from Blackberry to Android and the LG G3

pinardchris

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I've been reading these forums for a while and just needed a few answers!

I am a little nervous about switching to android - especially because between my family and friends, we all use BBM constantly. I've heard some disconcerting reviews and information about BBM not working properly even when the app is opened 24/7 (ie. poor delivery and network reliability). I've also heard it only works while people have their phones on Wi-Fi. Can anyone confirm or deny the poor performance of BBM in the latest updates for android?

I also just wanted some of your opinions on the G3 and some of the best ways I can adjust to make the android experience more pleasant for someone who's never used it before!

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Your Android will be far more versatile and capable of tasking. Blackberry is becoming an obsolete technology. Android is the way of the future. Stop in a cellphone store and have an associate give you a demonstration. You'll have many choices. It's selecting the right Android that's right for you that will be the tough decision.

Posted via the Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The best way to adjust is to jump right on in at the deep end.

The G3 and android for the most part are easy to navigate. There will be things eg if your coming from another platform (iOS or blackberry in your case). With careful reading though this will be an easy transition.

The G3 is well for the most part great, like anything it will have negatives and these will either be large in number or small depending on the individual.

I haven't used BBM for android but perhaps someone can answer this more in depth.

Good luck with your decision.

Posted via the Android Central App

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
OP BBM on Android is better now than it was at first launch. I was very frustrated with seemingly slower delivery at first but they have fixed it in subsequent updates. I haven't seen many of the problems you mention above recently, the one that seems to linger is slow delivery when going from Android to iPhone.

In order to have the service you currently have on your BlackBerry, you will need to allow BBM to have constant spot on the notification screen, but that's no real trouble. If you turn that off you do get slower message delivery I understand - I have not had to turn it off myself. I get my BBM's without trouble while on cellular data.

Remember you do get BBM Voice but not Video for now.

Going from BB10 to Android will take you some time to get used to, took me about 2 weeks of frustration - just because of "muscle memory" having gone from BB to Android - things are done differently but the best thing IMHO about Android is that you can make it your own and now there is no doubt in my mind I prefer Android to BB10.

My best advice is to remember this, that Android is not BlackBerry and it's not fair at first to compare the two especially since you are coming from a platform you have used for some time you expect things to work the same way and they wont. This site is as good as CrackBerry the folks here are great answering the questions that will inevitably come while changing over. There are many folks such as you and me who came from BlackBerry to Android and know the drill - ask and I bet you get great answers really quickly.

I think you would be very happy to get the G3. I love mine, yesterday was my 2 week last day to bring it back to AT&T but it's staying I think this is currently the best phone I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just came over from OS10, Z10 being my first smartphone, and I've been experiencing some serious growing pains. Lack of the hub is the main thing that bothers me. Number two, my contacts are on Hotmail, and this phone won't let me import my contacts straightaway. I had to download an outlook app that made the native email redundant. I have my contacts imported now, but I can't edit Hotmail contacts on phone, i have to make another entry to edit and join it to the hotmail contact.

BBM-wise, I only send messages, so I can't comment on video and voice with Android, but that seems to work fine. My only BBM issue is with the calendar. Entries I make in the stock calendar do not register in BBM, even if I tell the calendar it's a BBM entry. The entry has to be made in BBM (groups in my case) and the entries have to be made one day at a time :|

After being so long winded, my short answer is that, yes, Android has good apps to improve all the basic functions to your liking, but Os10 has the basics integrated so well that i didn't really need extra apps.

I miss remember too.

Edit: Duh, looks like I forgot to sayI do like the G3 :)

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Remember people were reluctant to switch from horses to cars. Which isn't far from BlackBerry to G3

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I was a diehard Blackberry fan for years before switching to Android. I've never regretted the switch. Blackberry is dying a slow death and will soon join Palm in the graveyard. Sad but true. They refused to innovate and update for too long. Their arrogance in thinking their enterprise customers would love them forever was their downfall. They didn't learn a thing from Palm's mistakes. You'll love Android, and it has far better messaging apps than BBM.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I've just come from a q10. Just used it like 2 months. And a year ago I used to have the z10 for around 5 months r so.

You will miss the HUB since that thing is just perfect.

I cannot really say multitasking is better on android, but it works as pleasant.

I do think the g3 is a hell lot faster and sure has a better batterylife than the z10
My q10 was actually working well, but hated in when I was browsing and the Facebook app really sucked, cause it only showed like 10% of my feed.

The g3 is better in many way's, but also depends from what bb u came from.

I do think the z30 is pretty nice in most things. If you used to own a z30 than u will just get more and better apps than on bb10 and more customisation.

I almost forget to mention that there is no keyboard like the one on bb10. (Touchscreen)

Still I do think you won't regret the g3 since it's an outstanding device.

I think you need to decide how and what for you want to use your phone.

Posted with the speed of my G3

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I came from a z10. The bb10 os is a better os than android on the communication side of things but the g3 hardware is something else. If blackberry ever release os10 as an installable os like sailfish then without a doubt I'll be running it on my g3. That said I won't be returning to BB until they release a similar spec full touch.
This is the real difference
http://www.digit.in/mobile-phones/the-worlds-best-mobile-os-23575.html

Steve/Boanerges Performance

Last edited:

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I came from a z10. The bb10 os is a better os than android on the communication side of things but the g3 hardware is something else. If blackberry ever release os10 as an installable os like sailfish then without a doubt I'll be running it on my g3. That said I won't be returning to BB until they release a similar spec full touch.
This is the real difference
The World's Best Mobile OS | Digit.in

Steve/Boanerges Performance

Reading that article is kind of funny (at least the results section).

BlackBerry is the top mobile OS because of a universal search function and better email integration...yipee!

I don't have time to read the whole thing (maybe later) just found that kind of amusing. I'm a long time BlackBerry user myself (although I switched to Android prior to the release of BlackBerry 10). I still really like BlackBerry as a company, and I like the phones they have out now. I haven't spent an extensive amount of time with BlackBerry 10, but using it briefly and testing it out, I did like it. Unfortunately the media consumption through a BlackBerry is way off, the hardware itself is lacking, and the app support really isn't anywhere near the competition. I feel for BlackBerry, but it's most their own fault they have one foot in the grave.

Switching over from BlackBerry to Android, there will be things that you will miss, but once you become familiar with Android there is no looking back.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I just came over from OS10, Z10 being my first smartphone, and I've been experiencing some serious growing pains. Lack of the hub is the main thing that bothers me. Number two, my contacts are on Hotmail, and this phone won't let me import my contacts straightaway. I had to download an outlook app that made the native email redundant. I have my contacts imported now, but I can't edit Hotmail contacts on phone, i have to make another entry to edit and join it to the hotmail contact.

I don't have my G3 anymore as I ended up returning it and keeping my S5 just for the IP67 and some minor Bluetooth issues with the G3 and my car while the S5 doesn't have them, I do miss it a lot but if I needed to keep just one, then because of the above mentioned, it was the S5.

Anyway, as far as I remember you can set your Hotmail as an Exchange email account with the Native Email App, doing that it will give you the options to sync your mail, contacts and Calendar. Give it a try, may be it fixes your Hotmail issue.

Settings:

Exchange server - bay404-m.hotmail.com
Domain\username - \yourusername@hotmail.com

The rest is basic, and then just be sure to select Contacts and/or Calendar when finishing the settings.

knowledge_6

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
hey hey

so i use a G3 and a Z30 and i love them both.. i've been a long time BB user (8310) and a long time Android user (HTC G1) and i love them both.. BB10 is excellent!! the HUB is awesome.. the multitasking is awesome.. those active windows are great for when u have to check info or copy info from emails to apps or vice versa.. and also the gesture swipes are amazing... those are what i miss most..

android takes getting used to.. you have to learn what workflow works best for you, but sometimes u just have to adapt.. the notification pull down is good, but unlike the hub it doesn't show you all your notification activity.. if u wanna check past messages or activity you have to go into the app and check it..
i have to forward all my emails to gmail to make the most use of push notifications.. over time i have migrated over to google for most of my contacts, calendar, drive storage etc... so with chromecast at home and plex using android is awesome... but again if you like doing work on your phone then BB10 is still better in my opinion.. it gives u info faster and more efficiently.. people can say BB is a gokart or horse and android is a ferrari or car.. but i totally disagree.. bb10 has a lot of maturing to do yes, and BB is company is not doing so well in the public eyes and people will look DOWN upon you for using a BB but whatever it still kicks ****... they are two really good platforms that do things differently..

but i love my android cause i can customize it the way I want.. home screen, rooting, roms, and some gesture based options with different launchers... here is my home screen now... everything is hidden with invisibile icon folders.. and i double tap to get to app drawer.. the UCCW clock widget has hotspots to access weather, and alarm clock..i also have a widget for a SOUND PROFILE app that invisible too that acts like a profile icon in the old BB to change sound profiles.. i like customization and with everything being Google based android is the option for me right now

1cc5819e-034c-48eb-afbe-4cc9a922bce4_zpsb97b154c.png

best thing is to get a G3 test it out and if you dont like it sell it and buy a Z30 with the money and have left over... it's about adapting and just getting used to it.. it'll take a bit of time but u'll enjoy the Android world ; > just don't expect evreything you do on a blackberry to work on android... u can customize it VERY SIMILAR but not exact...

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have both devices and the G3 is light years above any blackberry but blackberry wins hands down for ease of navigation and communication. Everthing else is better on the G3.