Which Messaging App?

MattKerwin

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Which Messaging App

I think hangouts is the best around...love the interface and different options for other hangouts users

Posted via the Android Central App from my Nexus 5

just1083

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

Does Evolve lag for you when selecting different conversations from the slide out menu? That's my main complaint with it.
I tried pinning the contact list on the side and that works fast, but I then have to start remembering peoples icons.
I wouldn't call it lag, it just takes less than a second to switch over. Never really noticed that much. I pinned mine to the side. Works much better and I love the notifications on Android wear.

Sent from my LG G3

GefH

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

For the people wanting custom text tone for different contacts.

Edit contact
Scroll to the bottom
Add another field
Add "Message tone"
Voila

leannelizabeth1

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site

If you're talking about the stock messaging app, it's not available on the T-Mobile version of the phone. Why it's not an option is puzzling. That's a basic feature that I would guess most users want.

Posted via the Android Central App

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Chomp Sms. Best messaging app out there and we'll worth the paid version. I prefer it over Hangouts, more customizable

sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I've been using Chomp and really like it. I do have an issue with it where it never shows the messages as delivered. I had same thing on my G2, and they fixed it fast. It came back on the G3 and after 2 months it's still not fixed yet.

I've tried Textra which is nice, but I really want an app where I can assign different notifications for different people. I mainly want to know if it's family like my wife or kids. If they need me I'd try to read it and respond faster if I am busy with things.

I've been trying Evolve, but have missed several messages. If I have a text conversation open and put my phone down, it never notifies me again. So unless I keep looking or make sure i exit the conversation it never notifies you of a new message. To me that is a deal breaker since I don't want to have to keep exiting the app. With Chomp I have it set to vibrate on new message when in the conversation.
For Chomp, go into settings. There's a way for it to confirm delivery of message, like in Hangouts. I believe if you turn this on, it shows three yellow dots.

If not, chomp will always alert you of the message was not delivered and if you want to try sending again

xamadeix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

If you're talking about the stock messaging app, it's not available on the T-Mobile version of the phone. Why it's not an option is puzzling. That's a basic feature that I would guess most users want.

Posted via the Android Central App

Agreed. That's pretty odd. I have it on mine with at&t

Posted via LG G3.

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site

For Chomp, go into settings. There's a way for it to confirm delivery of message, like in Hangouts. I believe if you turn this on, it shows three yellow dots.

The 3 yellow dots mean the message is pending. If you long oress on the message and select message details, you'll see that it shows pending. When it is actually working you get a green checkmark when its delivered. MMS on chomp works fine and shows the green check.

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site

For the people wanting custom text tone for different contacts.

Edit contact
Scroll to the bottom
Add another field
Add "Message tone"
Voila

Not available on Verizon either. Now the question is, did AT&T ask for it to be added or did verizon & T-Mobile decide we didn't want it and ask for it to be removed!

rchusid

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Handcent, but versions 6.04 and 6.05 force close upon opening. I reverted to 6.0 using Titanium Backup.

Handcent works great when it works. It has pop up messages and it can be customized for different notifications for different people.

Anyone else using Handcent? I'm wondering if the inability to use the updates is due to an incompatibility with the LG in general or if there is just an issue with something on my phone.

rchusid

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

I wonder if the delivery confirmation with Chomp is carrier dependent as it appears to work for some people and not others. I tried it and otherwise liked the program but stopped using it because it didn't give confirmation of receipt of messages despite turning this on. I'm using Verizon.

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if the delivery confirmation with Chomp is carrier dependent as it appears to work for some people and not others. I tried it and otherwise liked the program but stopped using it because it didn't give confirmation of receipt of messages despite turning this on. I'm using Verizon.

I'm on Verizon also, although I'm not sure if its carrier dependent, especially since it works with MMS messages. Also the 1st message to someone will produce a green received checkmark and all further messages will also show it. As soon as you exit the conversation and go back in, that check is gone. This same issue was on the G2 and I reported it and it was fixed fairly fast.
I've reported this along with others and still no resolution.

The only other person i saw comment thought the 3 yellow dots meant it was delivered.

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

Been using Handcent for a couple of years, but felt for a change. Tried various texting apps, but didn't like any of them until I tried Hello.
Nice, clean and simple interface. Used that for a while.
Now I'm using Hangouts and just love it. Same simple layout and if your friends have it you can send text via Google like ideas are on iPhone

rtapales

May 1, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone been able to find a messaging app that allows for a message preview on the Lock Screen instead of the "New Message" notification only?

Love the fact that the stock messages float above what I'm working on and let me reply and clear from the pop up!

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I want to use Handcent but I can't get the notification light to work. Is anyone use having that issue. I currently use Chomp with Light Flow but it sometimes doesn't work right. I want a message app that will flash the notification light fast and go back to the main list of conversation when I exit the app and return to it at a later time.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

I had tried Textra but the battery drain was awful, just tried again this week no more battery drain work great.

Btown7

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

currently I'm using Hangouts. I used to use Handsent on my Nexus but I Feel like its time to try something different. Figured I'd use hangouts till I can find something I like.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech