Camera vs Samsung S5

melmcc

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased an s5. I spent a long time debating between that and the LG G3 but ultimately went with the S5. Beyond a functioning phone, the camera is the most important feature. I loved all the features of the s5 but am having a hard time getting good pictures. I primarily take pictures of my young children. I am now wondering if the laser focus on the g3 would be better. I still think the s5 is a great camera but am wondering if the g3 is better for my purposes. Anyone take lots of pics of very young squirmy chikdren? Any thoughts, comments or recommendations?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have children and like to take pictures as well with my phone. Unfortunately I am not seeing any real advantage when dealing with movement, etc. versus most other phones I've owned. The quality of the G3 pics are very good until the little monkeys start moving around.......
Burst mode or Sport mode (Smasung) always seems to be a decent option. Sometimes you can get a good shot (or 10 bad ones LOL).
I still rely on my Canon DSLR for those "moments".

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The laser focus really only works at very close range. Although I have not compared camera focus and snapping speeds, I do know that the G3's is very fast. Perhaps the S5 is as fast and you're expecting too much?

melmcc

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I do have a Canon dslr but don't always carry it with me. I may be expecting too much but I am coming from an iPhone and didn't have this problem with pictures. I am really liking the Android so far and just trying to find a way to make it work.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My wife has an iPhone 5S as well and as much as I hate to admit it she does get some shots with that thing.
Not saying they are consistently better.....I think with camera phones there is still an element of luck involved when taking "actions" shots.

Thanks for the responses. I do have a Canon dslr but don't always carry it with me. I may be expecting too much but I am coming from an iPhone and didn't have this problem with pictures. I am really liking the Android so far and just trying to find a way to make it work.

Last edited:

DakotaBoy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have two young boys I've owned the galaxy s5, HTC one M8, and I currently have the G3 and iPhone 5s. I can honestly tell you the the galaxy s5 is the slowest phone I have ever seen to focus in anything but perfect lighting, ie in your living room trying to snap a photo of the kids. Terrible, just terrible.

The HTC is awesomely fast and takes good low light pictures, but outdoor photos lacked detail, so much so that I had to return it. But with only 4mp to work with, I get it. Still not a bad camera, just not enough detail.

Then there's the G3 which is my current daily driver. I have to say I love this phone. Its much faster than the s5 to focus, but it still has trouble with moving objects. The iPhone 5s still takes consistently better (low light) photos than any of these phones.

Long story short, if you're bored to death with iOS, like I am and you have young kids you're trying to capture in random moments. The G3 is probably your best android option at this point.

There are many other things that I like about the G3 over the other mentioned android phones. But I'm just talking cameras here.

Posted via the Android Central App