Smart cleaning deleted a number of Apps

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Strangest thing happened. Decided while on vacation to try and free up some space for more pictures. Used the smart cleaning feature for the first time. It really freed up a lot of space. Maybe 1 to 2gb.

Temporary files seemed to take up a decent amount of space as did downloads. The third cleaning hits running apps. That seemed to make sense although it did seem to run through an awful lot of apps. I assumed it was shutting them down or cleaning out active processes.

I was really surprised to see this actually removed a lot of apps completely and a very odd assortment of apps. For instance it removed a few Google Apps like Google documents and Google keep. It deleted my avg virus cleaner, trip advisor and Yelp. Also a few games like 2048 and the muzie wallpaper app plus some sports apps. Oddly it would leave a similar app and didn't seem to discriminate based on what I've used. Some new used or old unused would be deleted or left.

It's particularly annoying to be way on a limited data plan and trying to reconstruct what apply I had. I will likely abandon the feature going forward.

Any thoughts on why this happened and how to prevent? . In any case I'd skip using smart cleaning unless u r looking for an opportunity to do a lot of housecleaning.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear this, I have stayed away from "Cleaning Idle Apps" and just clean Temp Files and Download Folder (picking the things in download to clean). I figured that Cleaning Idle Apps would do exactly what happened to you. But I can certainly see how one could misconstrue exactly what the "Clean Idle Apps" does.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
In response the smart cleaning it allows you to clean up unwanted downloads, temp files and apps cache.

In regards to the apps you don't have to but if one does, what happens is that it removes your least used ones.

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I did a Smart Clean an hour ago. There were two idle apps, I can't remember for certain what they were, but I said clean. So far as I can see there are none missing. Thx for the warning though.

Posted via Android Central App

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Confirmed. SwiftKey was one of the apps that was deleted. This makes no sense as it is easily a most used and often used app so I'm not sure why that would occur.