Having a battery drain problem on LG G3?

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I had performed a Factory Data Reset more than a few times with no success. In my case the battery continued to drain while the top potion of the phone continued to overheat; I assumed that to be the processor in overdrive, but what was causing it? I downloaded GSAM Battery Monitor and noticed SYSTEM (SD) was over 50% in usage by itself. I swapped out the 128 GB SD card with a lesser 64 GB SD card. Now the phone is back to being as cool as a cucumber with normal battery drain. I had the phone operating normally for about 3 weeks before this and even after installing the 128 GB card the phone operated great, so I suppose it must be something recently installed onto the card, or the card itself that was doing it.
One thing for sure, the GSAM battery app tracked down the problem quickly.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: My LG G3 Battery Drain Cure!

Now you see why manufacturers are moving away from SD cards hehe. A bit unreliable, I don't know why. I once had a corrupted SD card on my Note 2 and it drained the battery like crazy, since the system keeps trying and trying to do the Media Scan.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

No such issue on my S4 with 128gb card. As far as sd cards, Google does not like them since they want you on their data mining, revenue drawing cloud.

That said, more are offering cards now and apparently sd cards are implemented better in L's framework. Card writes apparently back as well.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I have you since formatted the card and tried to use it again?

I had performed a Factory Data Reset more than a few times with no success. In my case the battery continued to drain while the top potion of the phone continued to overheat; I assumed that to be the processor in overdrive, but what was causing it? I downloaded GSAM Battery Monitor and noticed SYSTEM (SD) was over 50% in usage by itself. I swapped out the 128 GB SD card with a lesser 64 GB SD card. Now the phone is back to being as cool as a cucumber with normal battery drain. I had the phone operating normally for about 3 weeks before this and even after installing the 128 GB card the phone operated great, so I suppose it must be something recently installed onto the card, or the card itself that was doing it.
One thing for sure, the GSAM battery app tracked down the problem quickly.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

No such issue on my S4 with 128gb card. As far as sd cards, Google does not like them since they want you on their data mining, revenue drawing cloud.

That said, more are offering cards now and apparently sd cards are implemented better in L's framework. Card writes apparently back as well.
Samsung, especially, has a really bad history with SD Cards. Mine didn't start failing right away, it took a while. And it happened on the Note 2, the Note 3, the S3 (a friend's, not mine) and an S4. All different SD Cards, all different brands (SanDisk even had a full year replacing SD cards if you only said you had a newer Samsung device in 2012), all fried.

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I will continue to investigate the cause, formatting the card, etc as soon as I have the time to make sure all of the vital data is exported to my laptop.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

The OP's description is really a bug in Android, that should have been fixed a long time ago.

Android periodically scans memory (internal and external) look for new files that need to be incorporated into the Gallery. If it encounters a corrupt file or directory, it will sit there and churn forever trying to read it. That's what eats the battery. Every other OS on the planet is written to stop trying to read after a certain number of failures, but not Android.

There are apps in the Play store that will prevent this. Some, maybe all, require root:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...store/search?q=stop+media+scan&token=U1juepol

Reformatting the SD card will map out any bad sectors and probably fix the problem, too, but if the card is failing it could happen again.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

The OP's description is really a bug in Android, that should have been fixed a long time ago.

Android periodically scans memory (internal and external) look for new files that need to be incorporated into the Gallery. If it encounters a corrupt file or directory, it will sit there and churn forever trying to read it. That's what eats the battery. Every other OS on the planet is written to stop trying to read after a certain number of failures, but not Android.

There are apps in the Play store that will prevent this. Some, maybe all, require root:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...store/search?q=stop+media+scan&token=Dk6O6iHl

Reformatting the SD card will map out any bad sectors and probably fix the problem, too, but if the card is failing it could happen again.

Are these problems usually caused by placing apps/app data on the sd card?

Lapse

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

What percentage use would be normal for the System? Mine reads around 9 %.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site

I have a 64GB SD Card already and I'm on my second G3. I checked my System Usage and it was 20% with a wakelock. Nevertheless, i have re-formated my external SD Card. So ill report back how it goes.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site

Update since i re-formated the card...Android System has went down to 14% and continues to slowly go down.

sent from that G-Thang!!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Google does not like them since they want you on their data mining, revenue drawing cloud.

They locked down SD cards because the permissions were jacked up... They can't use native file and folder permissions because they are FAT32, so rather than leave them wide open, they extended the /data permission model to the external card while they work out a better method (Android L most likely).

I'd love to see SD cards go away and OEMs just put larger storage. Over the years, I've had 4 or 5 cards fail... In one case, I would have lost a good 10000 mp3's had I not had then backed up and in another, my wife lost an entire family vacation when the card in her camera went to crap. This is now near impossible because we have our pics backed up to Google.... But I won't trust an SD card again for anything other than temporary, short term storage.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

They locked down SD cards because the permissions were jacked up... They can't use native file and folder permissions because they are FAT32, so rather than leave them wide open, they extended the /data permission model to the external card while they work out a better method (Android L most likely).

I'd love to see SD cards go away and OEMs just put larger storage. Over the years, I've had 4 or 5 cards fail... In one case, I would have lost a good 10000 mp3's had I not had then backed up and in another, my wife lost an entire family vacation when the card in her camera went to crap. This is now near impossible because we have our pics backed up to Google.... But I won't trust an SD card again for anything other than temporary, short term storage.
This.

SD Cards are just NOT reliable. You'd think that after all these years manufacturers would come up with a way to keep these things running, but more often than not, they're just like the old floppies. Eventually, they'll die on you.

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I reformatted the 128GB but I'm afraid to try to re-install it. My G3 has been on 100% for about 4 hours now unplugged with the 64GB SD, mostly on standby except for the few things I check on, but still I don't remember it ever lasting this long at 100%. I have Battery Doctor and GSAM Battery Monitor installed. The face of the phone as well as the rear buttons are absolutely cool to the touch. Sorry guys but unless I get more problems I'm not messing with it.
EDIT: Make that about 5 hours at 100%.
Other things I've done for these results:
Once the G3 is operating with less battery drain (from swapped out SD card) I Use LG Backup service and back up on the SD card.
Next I Factory reset
Next restore using LG Backup file on the SD card.
I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB with a 10C rating
I did all of this around 12:30pm
Finally shows 99% after 6:pM
Screenshot_2014-08-28-18-02-51.jpg

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I wished companies started incorporating bigger memory sizes into their devices. If they had a G3 with 64/128GB variant then there's no need for SD card slot.

Sent from my VZW LG G3 (tapatalk)

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Hello all, I have not been here for a while simply because life always has something to deal with. I saw this post and wanted to share my findings. I bought the G3 a little over 2 weeks ago and from the beginning I quickly deleted what I could and disabled what I wanted to delete but since carriers like to take up space on phones we buy, we have to root in order to remove that junk, however I did not want to do that until I was sure I wanted to keep the phone.

The phone is top of the line compared to SG5 and M8 and I noticed I was getting 150+ hours on the very first charge and it got better. Once the 14 day period was over I quickly rooted my G3 using towel root, no issues there.

I must say that prior to this I did NOT use any google services as I do NOT trust them.
Once I was rooted I started to debloat all the crap at&t adds to MY phone and installed things like xprivacy and appops xposed modules to better control things.

Once all the stuff I needed to feel safe where in place I enabled google play store and you tube.
After downloading a few apps from the store I charged my phone up.
Over night the battery drained so much it was ridiculous and I was on the hunt for the problem.

After using some helpful apps like greenify and others I still had the battery drain problem.

Here's the answer to it all, now I bought a 128gb card for $14.50 shipped. That was cool.
The sd card is not the problem here and everyone who is factory resetting and reformatting their cards are wasting their time.

The REAL problem is google play store and mostly "google services".
So I disabled google services and quickly noticed a difference. I will update this with further testing but as of now my battery is already better without google sucking the life out of it.

Download receiverstop from Defim and see just how many it has and you will know why google restarts itself all the time after you force stop it.

Using receiverstop will not help though but simply disabling the google service will do the trick, when you need to use the play store just enable the google service again and disable after you are done.

Hope this helps as I notice its helped in just a matter of hours.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital