Having a battery drain problem on LG G3?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: My LG G3 Battery Drain Cure!

I guess it depends on how you define reliable. I think I've only had one fail in the entire time I've used them in cameras and phones. Probably at least 6 or 8 years. (yes, that includes regular SD cards as well as micro SD).

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site

I reformatted the 128GB but I'm afraid to try to re-install it. My G3 has been on 100% for about 4 hours now unplugged with the 64GB SD, mostly on standby except for the few things I check on, but still I don't remember it ever lasting this long at 100%. I have Battery Doctor and GSAM Battery Monitor installed. The face of the phone as well as the rear buttons are absolutely cool to the touch. Sorry guys but unless I get more problems I'm not messing with it.
EDIT: Make that about 5 hours at 100%.
Other things I've done for these results:
Once the G3 is operating with less battery drain (from swapped out SD card) I Use LG Backup service and back up on the SD card.
Next I Factory reset
Next restore using LG Backup file on the SD card.
I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB with a 10C rating
I did all of this around 12:30pm
Finally shows 99% after 6:pM
View attachment 134472

After re-formating my SD Card yesterday, I charged it up over night and took it off the charger at 6am when I went to work. I used the phone "normal" today. "Normal" for me is basically not being on the phone constantly like we normally are when we first get a device. I used the phone to send texts, make a few calls to my kids, check the web, FB, Hangouts and G+.

My G3 stayed was still at 100% 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours after I took it off the charger and checked some of the social media apps. When I got off work at 5PM I had 62% battery remaining, which is quite good imo.

However I found that when actually using the phone for long periods of time, it does drain rather quickly...maybe because of the screen..idk. I say because after I got home from work, I used the phone a lot more than I did at work and I was at 37% in a matter of 2 hours. Which consisted of checking emails and replying back to them.

But for the most part, I'm content now seeing that the battery works good for my everyday use.

shiki100

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
My (lg g3) battery drains so massively I don't know why but I think my phone came defected. When I first got it when it came out a day after I charged it played with it fine after a week I started noticing that my battery would die so fast I was like wait a minute I charged my phone from night to mid day when I woke up at lunch time it whent from fully 100% to 35% in a matter of 3 and half hours of me hand using it. Then when I played games or I would go on tumblr, my phone would overheat so badly. I literally just burned my finger when I touched the volume button. That's how hot it was. I was going to go return it the next day. But I was too lazy to do it. I don't know if can change my phone now I already scratched the phone and their noticeable only on the sides though I have a screen protector their not big but they are viewable. So I'm stuck with this stupid broken phone for awhile ugh. Sigh.

Posted via the Android Central App

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

That's kind of the way my phone was.
It was fine during the first two weeks, then it just started having battery drain issues and overheating.
Hopefully an update will fix these issues.
For now anyone with overheating, lags and battery issues should keep posting.
Maybe they will see all these reviews and do something about it.

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Tried the SD card fix, did not work. My battery is draining badly and is not responding the way it did the first few weeks. I am rooted and have been for some time initially with no drain. Really looking for a solution to this issue...

Reggie T

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

G3 is great in standy, but once you start using it, it's over. I have my brightness at 38% or autobrightness most of the time. Really love this phone but i'll be tempted by the Note 4.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

My (lg g3) battery drains so massively I don't know why but I think my phone came defected. When I first got it when it came out a day after I charged it played with it fine after a week I started noticing that my battery would die so fast I was like wait a minute

If your battery drain changes that dramatically, it is most likely due to some app that's constantly running in the background or constantly using data. What apps did you install or update just before this started happening? I don't have my G3 yet, but does it's battery stats screen show you what apps are using the most battery? If not, download one of the battery status apps from the Play store and see what it tells you. Or do a factory reset, and DON'T restore all your apps from the play store, and see if that fixes it.

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

GSAM Monitor helps me pinpoint battery draining apps. And I check Battery Doctor frequently. I don't feel my phone is draining these days at all though. When it is on standby it is cool; even the on/ff button as well as the display. I did however try using that 128GB SD card and it works for only so long before jamming up and causing heat problems. No wonder it cost only about $16. You get what you pay for. I'm using the Sandisk 64GB presently.
EDIT: Just ordered a new Sandisk 128GB from eBay for $65.
SanDisk 128GB Ultra Micro SDXC UHS 1 Class 10 Micro SD Memory Card w Adapter | eBay

Last edited:

joe.kent

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

I reformatted the 128GB but I'm afraid to try to re-install it. My G3 has been on 100% for about 4 hours now unplugged with the 64GB SD, mostly on standby except for the few things I check on, but still I don't remember it ever lasting this long at 100%. I have Battery Doctor and GSAM Battery Monitor installed. The face of the phone as well as the rear buttons are absolutely cool to the touch. Sorry guys but unless I get more problems I'm not messing with it.
EDIT: Make that about 5 hours at 100%.
Other things I've done for these results:
Once the G3 is operating with less battery drain (from swapped out SD card) I Use LG Backup service and back up on the SD card.
Next I Factory reset
Next restore using LG Backup file on the SD card.
I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB with a 10C rating
I did all of this around 12:30pm
Finally shows 99% after 6:pM
View attachment 134472

What icons are those?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

SD Card storage is slower and less secure than Internal storage.

True. But if your phone breaks, and you can't access internal memory, everything you stored on it is gone. Anything you stored on the SD card can still be retrieved.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

True. But if your phone breaks, and you can't access internal memory, everything you stored on it is gone. Anything you stored on the SD card can still be retrieved.

and if your phone gets lost or stolen an SD card will not save you - you will lose all of your data. so an SD card is not the answer if you want to prevent the loss of your data. securely backing up your data in the cloud is the answer.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

and if your phone gets lost or stolen an SD card will not save you - you will lose all of your data. so an SD card is not the answer if you want to prevent the loss of your data. securely backing up your data in the cloud is the answer.

I think 'automatically' or 'conveniently' instead of 'securely' would be a better word in your last sentence.

DroidG3

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

I have had my3 since September. it started out completely fine, amazing actually. but recently it has been extremely slow and laggy as well as VERY hot. I do NOT have any SD card in my phone at all. any ideas on how to fix this issue? I always fully close my apps too

DroidG3

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

nvm. opened up my apps and checked which ones used the most mb and I deleted the app swift key (custom keyboard) and now its quick and cold

akouzi

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I work in a hospital, and notice that at work, my battery goes from 100% down to approximately 25-30% in less than 8 hours. This is typically with less than forty minutes of screen on time! I turn data off and use Wi-Fi only and keep brightness down, close apps, turn off location etc... I tried taking out the sd card once, but it didn't seem to make much difference.
I thought it was due to signal searching, as I get close to 3 hours screen on time at my home (still not great)...with data and Wi-Fi both on. But my colleague has a note 4 (also Verizon) and his battery maintains 77% with Bluetooth, gps, data, Wi-Fi all on, and similar hours and screen on time.
Please help me. I appreciate it greatly. Am I doomed among all the hospital electric noise, and if so...why me so dramatically?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-31-15-25-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-31-15-25-24.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 45

jjdubs1

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

I'm going to be brief as I just lost my post! Ugh.

I had AT&T replace my G3 twice for battery issues. 3rd one was better but not great.

After it failed to work on a remote network they had me replace my SIM card at the store. Guess what? It started behaving like the other phones, only not as bad. So the other phones may not even have been defective.

I had them replace the SIM card multiple times with varying degrees of success. This one seems ok-ish so I've been trouble shooting.

As with the other phones, I deleted a bunch of apps. I also disabled much of the bloatware. Modest success --as with other phones.

I've been running several battery boosters at once (battery doctor, CM boost, Booster, Battery Juice). May be to many of them. Some made my experience smoother.

However, I saw the greatest success when I deleted a bunch of (backed up!) photos. (I like Amazon cloud the best. Also free unlimited photo backup with Prime. I don't think auto back up works much so I tell it to do andut I can relatively quickly see which ones it has.) I do use redundant backups.

Now, my phone holds it's charge --when not in use. Virtually no drop for hours and hours and hours. It still gets hot while in use. I use the above apps to cool it a bit.

(I find checking battery and apps under settings to be quite helpful in seeing cause and effect. Also seeing the amount of drain with various apps.)

HOWEVER, the phone drains like water through a sieve now --while in use. I'm talking a percent per minute!

So I decided to install my SIM card and move all kinds of data over. Now it's laggy. It could be too many battery saving apps at once, too.

However, the number one drain since the beginning of *all* my phones has been the screen (as we all know). This is even with phone at 0% brightness and 30 sec screen shut off! It seems exceedingly clear that the screen is the main culprit. (Though I do recommend the battery saving app tweaking.)

I watched a video and tried Nomon(?). I quickly reset screen resolution back to default and then deleted the app bc it caused all kinds of instability. (Yikes!)

So, now I am on a quest to figure out how to fix the screen drain. Once I do, a lot will be vastly improved.

In the meantime, I'm going to play around with moving some data (or copy and only then delete, I should say) from SIM back to phone.

Once I do that I'm going to play around with which battery saving apps to keep. Some of them do the same thing and I don't want them interfering with each other.

I'll try and update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae