[Solved] LG-G3 - Wireless Charging via Qi?

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure this has been brought up time and time again as I'm finding lots of articles on it, but no solid answers.

I went on Verizon's website, plugged in my phone from their drop downs, and looked for compatible wireless chargers....I found the TYLT VU was marked as compatible. VZW no where mentioned that you would need anything else for it to work. I decided to go to Amazon to get it.

I bought this:
Amazon.com: TYLT Vu Wireless Charger for all Qi Phones - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Charger arrives in the mail, plug it in, put my phone on it annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd. nothing....nada, zilch. So I get pissed because VZW's site says it is compatible. After some research, I find out that I need a special back cover. Soooo, I hop on eBay since VZW doesn't sell it, and I buy this:

Battery Back Door Cover NFC Amp Qi Wireless Charging Chip for LG G3 D855 White | eBay

It arrives in the mail today, I pop it on my phone, plug the charger back in and stillll.....NOTHING :(

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there some setting on the phone to enable wireless charging or something?

Last edited:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: LG-G3 - Wireless Charging via Qi?

Does the cover you purchased have the 4 contacts point as shown on eBay listing? 2 are for NFC and the other 2 would be for wireless charging.
There are also 2 versions of this, a Korean version and a Us version. The Korean version has the 4 contacts points all in line with no spacing between the pairs. The US version has a space between the pairs of contact points (like in the eBay pic). Some of the problems I have heard of with the eBay and Amazon products:
- They show a pic of the US version but send a NFC only back.
- They show a pic of the US version but send a Korean unit.
- The back is correct but the sticker is not aligned correctly and there is no good contact being made.

There are some tried and true wireless backs and stickers being used, many of the members here have them.
With the stickers you just take off the sticker that is on your original back and replace it with a wireless charging capable one.
I cannot remember if this particular one has been mentioned here, let's wait for some others to chime in and see what they say.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

All looks good on my end. I made sure it has all 4 points, and when I put it on, I made sure all 4 points line up with the 4 pins on the phone. When it didn't work. I noticed there was a little more padding under neath the contact points on the stock backing, so I lifted the sticker and put a small piece of plastic wrapping from the wrapping the back plate came in (just something I could peel off but enough to lift it up). That also does not work.

I'm totally lost here.

I've been doing some reading about how the US version only does PMA charging or something? Or only the Verizon one? But nothing has made those statements concrete, just what I saw in some random article.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I figured you were on Verizon since you referenced it earlier.
Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile are all Qi, AT&T is PM. If you were AT&T you would be out of luck. My first back cover i purchased from Amazon simply did not work as well. I ended up getting the LG circle cover and took the sticker out and replaced the stock one.
It sounds like you've done everything but try a different charger.
If is still doesn't work I would return the back and get one of the stickers that the other members are having success with.
Just to be clear, Verizon is Qi not PM.

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

No special setting on the Verizon G3 to use wireless charging. I personally went the sticker route, and it works great. One thing that I found though... I had two Qi chargers (from my old HTC DNA), one is a Verizon branded I bought at the store, and the other a Nokia. The Verizon one did not work, but the Nokia worked fine. Someone else may chime in whether they are using the TYLT Vu successfully.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Lol, maybe I'll just go down to the Verizon store, and I'll bring my phone with the new back and the charger I bought, and have them test my phone with the Circle case on my charger. If that doesn't work, then I'll either test it with a wireless charger they have, or test another phone. That should tell me if it's the back plate or my charger that isn't working. I feel like it's the back plate.

This is so annoying :(

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!O!O!!OO!O!O!!!!!!

hahahaha

I pulled off the sticker and after about 10 attempts to re-align the damn thing and test it, it just wouldn't work. So I gave up. Just stuck the damn thing on, put the back plate on and tossed it on the charger and voila!! It freaking starts charging.

Oh man. I'm so happy right now.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!O!O!!OO!O!O!!!!!!

hahahaha

I pulled off the sticker and after about 10 attempts to re-align the damn thing and test it, it just wouldn't work. So I gave up. Just stuck the damn thing on, put the back plate on and tossed it on the charger and voila!! It freaking starts charging.

Oh man. I'm so happy right now.

Nothing like fixing something and not knowing exactly what you did to fix it!! :)

Glad it's working!

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

No special setting on the Verizon G3 to use wireless charging. I personally went the sticker route, and it works great. One thing that I found though... I had two Qi chargers (from my old HTC DNA), one is a Verizon branded I bought at the store, and the other a Nokia. The Verizon one did not work, but the Nokia worked fine. Someone else may chime in whether they are using the TYLT Vu successfully.

I was in the same boat. The Nokia QI Pad I had purchased when I had a Lumia 928 works with my LG G3 with the back I got off of eBay and the Universal one I purchased off of Amazon does not work.

anon(3415124)

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm using two Tylt Vues, and can confirm they both work fine. I've also got a charger from a previous phone that's marked 'Droid', probably picked up at a Verizon store. That one does not work with my G3. Worked fine with my BlackBerry Z30 though, so I know it's functional.

Posted via Android Central App

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Nothing like fixing something and not knowing exactly what you did to fix it!! :)

Glad it's working!

hahaha, well, I did a little more than fiddle. I took a dry erase marker, and colored the whole tab where the contacts are on the phone backing, put the backing on, then pulled it off to see where the pins were meeting the contacts, I saw that the sticker was ever so slightly off, so I tried re-aligning it. The nice part was after a bunch of tries of getting it lined up, the one time I didn't even try to get it perfect, it ended up being just right. hahaha.

Punyawee Werasopon

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I use G3-D855 (international model) bought in Thailand. Charged with the wireless charger LG WCD-100 (cost only about 39USD) Back case is out from the box, the original one and plastic clear case from IMAK (China made) . It works very well. Nothing to set up or configure. I have read in some forum that some variant or model may not built-in a wireless charging chip. It has to be changed to the quick circle case to enable this function. I already tried. D855 works well.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
So disappointing at&t gimped this, PMA is so bad. One in five tries it stops charging and my phone has half battery to stay the day.

Posted via Android Central App

Brian Hogue

Dec 28, 2017
Visit site

hahaha, well, I did a little more than fiddle. I took a dry erase marker, and colored the whole tab where the contacts are on the phone backing, put the backing on, then pulled it off to see where the pins were meeting the contacts, I saw that the sticker was ever so slightly off, so I tried re-aligning it. The nice part was after a bunch of tries of getting it lined up, the one time I didn't even try to get it perfect, it ended up being just right. hahaha.

Good idea. I bought a new cover with the Qi coil for my Verizon G3. It didn't work. Measured the distance to the pin marks on my old cover from the sides and from the top, 1228171020d.jpg1228171020b.jpg pealed off the new coil positioned it at these exact distances and it worked. Believe it is a positioning problem of the contacts. Sucks that Verizon again removed a great feature from a phone for no reason requiring a fix to make it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol