G3 Battery - 100% lasts longer than expected

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all.

It's it normal for the G3 battery to last an unusual length of time to show anything under 100%, but then drain at a more 'normal' rate as soon as it finally dips into the 90's?

The attached screenshot is from this morning. It took nearly 2 hours to move from full, but then it takes a much steadier downward gradient from then on throughout the rest of the day.

I have few complaints about the battery life. I'm quite a heavy user, and I'm getting a full days use most days. I've heard that the battery can 'over charge' as such, and maybe this explains it... I'm using mainly the stock charger that came with the phone.

This isn't a complaint. Just more out of intrigue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 19128.jpg
    19128.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 212

ShAdoWSKy

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Was your phone in use during those 2 hours? The G3 has an amazing standby time so I'm not surprised you got those numbers haha.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Was your phone in use during those 2 hours? The G3 has an amazing standby time so I'm not surprised you got those numbers haha.

Yeah it was. A few emails, some internet, sms... The usual first thing in the morning catch up I do everyday. Since my first post, I've used the phone in a similar way, and here's the latest usage. As you can see, it's a lot steadier. Just that almost vertical bit in the first couple of hours.

Attachments

• 19130.jpg
    19130.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 197

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.

It's it normal for the G3 battery to last an unusual length of time to show anything under 100%, but then drain at a more 'normal' rate as soon as it finally dips into the 90's?

The attached screenshot is from this morning. It took nearly 2 hours to move from full, but then it takes a much steadier downward gradient from then on throughout the rest of the day.

I have few complaints about the battery life. I'm quite a heavy user, and I'm getting a full days use most days. I've heard that the battery can 'over charge' as such, and maybe this explains it... I'm using mainly the stock charger that came with the phone.

This is normal sir and I love it lol

With heavy use, it takes just over an hour or so before the battery starts to drop on my phone.

I haven't heard about any over charging issues...link?

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
This is normal sir and I love it lol

With heavy use, it takes just over an hour or so before the battery starts to drop on my phone.

I haven't heard about any over charging issues...link?

Christ - no link, no. Either on here somewhere,or maybe even on Crackberry in days of yore... It may have even just have been someone else with a similar query.

I don't mind it either, obviously. But it still makes no sense why it would take so long to drop from 100% and then at a more regular rate it does.

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Christ - no link, no. Either on here somewhere,or maybe even on Crackberry in days of yore... It may have even just have been someone else with a similar query.

I don't mind it either, obviously. But it still makes no sense why it would take so long to drop from 100% and then at a more regular rate it does.

I know it seems really weird to me too but I can't really complain.

The battery life on this phone is amazing IMO, by the end of my day it still has at least 60% or so battery.....wizards must have manufactured this phone lol

I'd love to know how they do it.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
To be able to use for 2h before it reads lower than 100% is incredible. I've never timed it but can get I'd guess up to half hour's use at 30% brightness, just texting say, before she drops to 99%. Regarding standby I once had a reading at 99% if I recall right of well over a thousand hours....worked out at 42 days I think.

Posted via Android Central App

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I know it seems really weird to me too but I can't really complain.

The battery life on this phone is amazing IMO, by the end of my day it still has at least 60% or so battery.....wizards must have manufactured this phone lol

I'd love to know how they do it.

Wow - I realise, of course, that battery consumption is all down to use and applications, but 60% after a full day? I've never got close to that, even on my old Blackberry Z30, which had, IMO, a far superior battery to the G3. I'm currently on 8 hours use - fairly heavy, as I mentioned above - and it's telling me it will die at about 7.30 tonight. This is still 14hrs, which, for a quad 5.5" screen, is still very good. I have a charger for when I'm at my desk, and carry a spare battery. In the month I've had the G3, I've had to use the spare on a few occasions when I've been out from 6am until late evening.

Lapse

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Obviously the battery is discharging even when it says 100%, which is why I don't like it that way. The battery is pretty good, but less so using maps on a sunny day, which is why I bought a spare to make it through a long day after being stranded with a dead battery on a trip. Then there is nothing to worry about.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi all.

Seems normal to me my galaxy nexus dies the same thing but games abd stuff does REALLY drian battery life but if brothers you get a power bank to charge it on the go ;)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

That percentage is really just a mapped value. Your phone's power management system monitors the voltage of the battery and reports that value back to the operating system. Internally, it then refers to a table that maps the voltage to a number value, which is then displayed. It isn't that your phone's charge is somehow miraculously staying at 100% for a long time, its just that the voltage reported is above the 100% threshold.... and it remains at 100% until the voltage hits the value mapped to 99%.

Maybe it's a little bit of a psychological trick... battery obsessed people often get aggravated when their phones drop to 99% so quickly after charging full, so maybe they just played around with the mappings (which I suspect are somehow different when charging and discharging by the way) so that it 'hold's at 100% for a bit before dropping at a more normal rate.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
That percentage is really just a mapped value. Your phone's power management system monitors the voltage of the battery and reports that value back to the operating system. Internally, it then refers to a table that maps the voltage to a number value, which is then displayed. It isn't that your phone's charge is somehow miraculously staying at 100% for a long time, its just that the voltage reported is above the 100% threshold.... and it remains at 100% until the voltage hits the value mapped to 99%.

Maybe it's a little bit of a psychological trick... battery obsessed people often get aggravated when their phones drop to 99% so quickly after charging full, so maybe they just played around with the mappings (which I suspect are somehow different when charging and discharging by the way) so that it 'hold's at 100% for a bit before dropping at a more normal rate.

Thanks.

Funnily enough, on my Blackberry Z30, it never actually showed the percentages 99 & 98 on the home screen - only if you went into the battery monitor itself. So 100 would last for ages, and then... 97. Maybe BB like the psychological side of things too :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

Funnily enough, on my Blackberry Z30, it never actually showed the percentages 99 & 98 on the home screen - only if you went into the battery monitor itself. So 100 would last for ages, and then... 97. Maybe BB like the psychological side of things too :)

Well, I'm sure they fuss with these things to placate users. There is probably some statistician/engineer/psychologist somewhere in each of these OEMs whose job is to sit there and figure out the best way to map that percentage chart in order to give the impression of the longest battery life possible.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm sure they fuss with these things to placate users. There is probably some statistician/engineer/psychologist somewhere in each of these OEMs whose job is to sit there and figure out the best way to map that percentage chart in order to give the impression of the longest battery life possible.

Yeah. Quite possibly. A shame BlackBerry couldn't give a similar amount of time to employ a decent marketing manager...

jojopadz

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
So I was wondering how long the battery would last. I test it by charging to 100% waited a few minutes then started using it heavily. Until i get 1% down or 2. Then i went to setting and looked the battery etimatimed time. So it did shock me bacause it said 3~4 hours. And this was browsing trough internet. But yeah i dont know im not really scared this battery would fail on me because the idle is amazing. I skyped for 7 hours on speakers with closed cover and the battery went from 50% to 20%!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Around 4 hours sry didnt take a screenshot. :p

I'm outdoors in the sun now and am trying to see your screenshot stats, which I've forgotten, with two pairs of reading glasses on. If I'm reading them right, and I think I am, I'd say Brilliant battery performance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam