anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Upgrading from a S3 to G3 this month. What can I expect? Currently have VZW S3. Nova Prime launcher and unrooted.

Posted from my VZW GALAXY S3

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Wow. It's gonna be a world of difference. I'm proud of you for sticking with one device for such a long time. I couldn't do it. Anyways... You'll see and feel the difference instantly

Sent from my VS985 4G

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the S3 to the G3 would be like instantly stepping in from the 1920's to the year now 2014....OK maybe slight exaggeration lol

But Screen you will notice...for the better..

Camera you'll be very pleasantly surprised..

The Design & Build...

That's all your getting just leave the rest to your unboxing.

Oh and enjoy :)

Posted via the Android Central App

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I came from the S3 as well loved that phone, but this phone is so much more. It took about a day to get used to not having the home button to turn on the phone but the knock on is so much nicer. one thing to do is to put your S3 away for a least a week and don't touch it . Then go back and compare it and you say omg that phone is small lol.

Pro tip : If you use Nova Prime download screen off and lock from the play store. That way you get a the goodness of Nova plus keeping the knock screen off.

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait to try it. I keep a phone through a two year contract. Was and still am very satisfied with my S3.

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I came from the S3 as well loved that phone, but this phone is so much more. It took about a day to get used to not having the home button to turn on the phone but the knock on is so much nicer. one thing to do is to put your S3 away for a least a week and don't touch it . Then go back and compare it and you say omg that phone is small lol.

Pro tip : If you use Nova Prime download screen off and lock from the play store. That way you get a the goodness of Nova plus keeping the knock screen off.

What's it called? Link?

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Well seeing as you just got off a phone that is two generations behind the new one you will be coming from bronze to platinum... It is a great upgrade for anyone and even me when I had the DROID MAXX

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Upgrading from a S3 to G3 this month. What can I expect? Currently have VZW S3. Nova Prime launcher and unrooted.

Well, I'm guessing that you'll notice two things first.... a) the screen is ha-YUGE... and b) the phone doesn't feel that much bigger than the S3, especially if you had a case. It's a marvel in compact design... even though the screen is 3/4 of an inch larger, it's only a smidge wider. Though, I will suggest you utilize the G3's ability to add buttons to the navigation bar and add the button to expand the notification window... Saves you from having to reach all the way up there (which WILL seem like a long way coming from the S3).

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I also came from Sprint Galaxy S3. Having the G3 one week early from the release date was awesome! The phone is much bigger, I love the screen colors! Other people always "cry" about it being washed out or something related. I prefer the more natural colors other then super saturated colors. And the battery life! Oh goodness! It's really great. I'm sure you'll have an awesome time with the phone. Took me about an hour to get use to the rear buttons. Forgot to mention the camera on the G3 is beastly! Really great!

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Like everyone else said it's a giant step up from the s3. I would recommend if you buy it in store tell them to leave it in the box. I find the unboxing to be one of my favorite parts of getting a new phone.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Then go back and compare it and you say omg that phone is small lol.

So true, lol! The other day, I was going through my drawer looking for something and came across my beloved S3.... I shed a tear and thought to myself, "Damn, this thing is small!!", lol! :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So true, lol! The other day, I was going through my drawer looking for something and came across my beloved S3.... I shed a tear and thought to myself, "Damn, this thing is small!!", lol! :)

But I'll say this.... The S3 was a great phone that had a lot of life in it. Probably one of the early ones to get released that wasn't obsolete within months of its release. There are still tons of people out there rocking S3s and it can still get the job done, especially if you load a custom KK ROM (if you didn't get snookered into taking that lockdown JB update). I always look at the S3's release as Android's watershed moment where we saw the first widely available, high quality device paired with the first really mature version of Android (ICS). It is of no surprise that its release caused Apple to crap its collective pantaloons and take the Android platform seriously. Samsung did a bang up job with that phone, so much that the resulting S models were received with somewhat subdued fanfare.

Granted, the G3 kind of kicks sand in its face and takes its girlfriend, but to be honest, there's actually a lot of S3-ness in the G3. I remember holding one for the first time and thinking that for such a huge screen (4.7" was massive at the time), it was surprisingly comfortable in the hand.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
But I'll say this.... The S3 was a great phone that had a lot of life in it. Probably one of the early ones to get released that wasn't obsolete within months of its release. There are still tons of people out there rocking S3s and it can still get the job done, especially if you load a custom KK ROM (if you didn't get snookered into taking that lockdown JB update). I always look at the S3's release as Android's watershed moment where we saw the first widely available, high quality device paired with the first really mature version of Android (ICS). It is of no surprise that its release caused Apple to crap its collective pantaloons and take the Android platform seriously. Samsung did a bang up job with that phone, so much that the resulting S models were received with somewhat subdued fanfare.

Granted, the G3 kind of kicks sand in its face and takes its girlfriend, but to be honest, there's actually a lot of S3-ness in the G3. I remember holding one for the first time and thinking that for such a huge screen (4.7" was massive at the time), it was surprisingly comfortable in the hand.

I agree, the S3 was a great phone! I didn't get suckered into the JB update with Knox thankfully so I rooted (earlier than usual for me!) and believe it or not....my experience wasn't so pleasant. You gain certain things when you root but other things become faulty or broken. Thats the way of life with rooting. Constantly looking for fixes and updates to things that would otherwise be working right with stock. I've rooted all of my past devices but as we go forward with a much more 'mature' Android OS, I don't feel the need to root my devices as much as I did way back then. I only now root my device toward the end of its life cycle...for me, thats usually close to the 2 year mark, lol! :) I'm hoping that by then, there will be some very good, stable roms for the G3 that will be worthy of daily use!

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Way better speeds,screen,camera(which rocks) and battery life. I would throw OS in as well,due to the extra uneeded items that touchwiz throws in the OS. The button setup was something I was worried about at first. But after I had the phone awhile I realized that I hardly even used them. I use them maybe 1 out 10 times. Still wasn't hard to get used to by no means. Great pic for a new phone tho. I gave the wife my HTC M8 and thought I would miss it. I only miss the speakers on front. I'm very happy with my pic. Lg has a great OS and build quality.

Posted via the Android Central App

DrPreeth

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

couldn't have said it better myself. I also upgraded from my VZW S3 to a VZW G3. I still have my S3 with me (i kept the phone through the upgrade period and almost for 2 years as well). Its actually technically my second S3 (this one is a replacement phone) and it came from Verizon without the JB update so i could root it and unlock the bootloader.

GTS21

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Made the same switch recently. Very happy with the G3, the only exception being that the S3 displayed metadata on my car stereo when bluetooth streaming (after Kitkat upgrade), and the G3 is spotty on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae