2 year phone

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
My G3 is a two year phone for me for sure, possibly more provided the newer future phones aren't a "MUST HAVE!". I came from the S3 which lasted more than two years itself.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
If the G3 can't last you 2 years...Than you are not going to find a phone that can! IMHO. Phones are computers, they need to be reset and cleaned up once in a while. My N5 is still more responsive than a new S5 because I keep it clear of bloat.(and have animations at .05). I start looking for a new phone after a year not because I have to, but because I want to. That sounds like your case....You sound like you like you just need something new...

I just don't put myself in contracts.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if it can hold up performance wise for 2 years. The 801 processor is already taxed due to the 2k screen. What's it gonna be like in 2 years?

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if it can hold up performance wise for 2 years. The 801 processor is already taxed due to the 2k screen. What's it gonna be like in 2 years?
You mean the Adreno 330...I didn't notice any lag when I checked them out. Vids look fantastic on that screen. Why would it be slower in 2 years? Its not like the internals slow down, Its just bad software, that can be removed.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

The same as as it is now......how much faster can an app open?

When I hit AC it opens fast enough not to annoy or be an inconvenience lol

Posted via the Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I meant that isn't it going to get slower as android is updated more and more?

Wouldn't have thought so said performance will be noticeable in gaming ect...

But general use as stated how much faster can an app open and close..

It does boil down to use of said device... But at 2.5ghz and well mine is the 2/16gb but its fast enough.. Will performance degrade over time?
I am no expert in this field but if other older phones are holding up, why wouldn't the G3?

Posted via the Android Central App

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
given the screen quality and processor, replaceable battery ,SD card and OTG just how much better can the screens realisticaly get,how much faster etc. to be honest the 32gb one x i sold to my mate after 2 1/2 years of use still holds its own in real world situations. the capabilities of this phone should be good for a few years if taken care of properly.

Cmatt1971

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I could see the G3 lasting someone 2 years, assuming the hardware holds up.

I myself have never kept a phone for 2 years, or even a year for that matter. I usually go to a new one after about 6 months.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I meant that isn't it going to get slower as android is updated more and more?

Well, I wouldn't assume that. Google has been all about making Android smoother and more efficient. Project Butter, Svelte; Two efforts to reduce the jerkiness of earlier versions of Android AND make it so that it runs better on lower-end hardware. If it runs better on lower end hardware, it should run better on OLDER hardware as well, as long as it is supported of course. Look at Windows 7. I had a little eePC that came with Windows XP... it was a dog. I loaded Win7 on it and it actually performed noticeably better on the newer OS. Newer operating systems do not necessarily mean OSs that run slower. Android L will most likely not be officially supported for the S3, but I'm sure you'll see custom Android L roms for it, which would extend the S3's usable life well into 2015.

The SD801 will obviously be slower than processors two years from now, but it's not like its slow in absolute terms. Mobile apps can only be so complicated. Yes, I'm sure the high end games might push it too hard, but 99% of the apps people use are by no means resource hogs, Provided they don't outright drop support for 32bit stuff. But that most likely won't happen in such a quick timespan. Look at how slowly 64bit archs took to gain traction on the desktop/server world. And from a consumer standpoint, the vast majority of applications are still 32bit, which only enterprise stuff moving mostly to 64bit... and I don't expect to see anyone running a back-office database on a tablet.

mrmarcusdevin

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the g3 and am partly considering get the note 4 because I always wanted a note but part of my resistance is the fact there is no 64bit processing means it is pretty much on par with the lg and I just got it Lol. I think its best to wait it out for the next nexus hoping its 64bit

metrix

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Wow, I've been away for a bit but great responses. I know there's no solid answer for this but I really think this is a question reviews, regardless of phone os, should answer. The G3 is a beast and while the stats are great, it's just the feel of it. I checked one out last week and man it took everything to not buy it then and there.

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how much you like having the latest thing or a new toy to play with.

The smartphone market has matured and it's unlikely that a phone will come out in the next 2 years that has a killer feature which is lacking in any of today's flagships... It's all just incremental upgrades. Faster processor, more RAM etc...
The G3 (for me atleast) has probably reached peak screen - any bigger and it wouldn't fit well in my pocket or hand. I can't imagine that QHD is going to be massively suppased any time soon (or even if there's any point in ever surpassing it).

You won't get battery degradation issues that make you want a new phone - you can just swap out the battery and the problem goes away.
That was my main driver for upgrading this time around otherwise I would have probably kept my old phone (non replicable battery) beyond the 2 year contract.

The G3 is nice no doubt but does it do anything my HTC One didn't? No.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

metrix

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Depends on how much you like having the latest thing or a new toy to play with.

The smartphone market has matured and it's unlikely that a phone will come out in the next 2 years that has a killer feature which is lacking in any of today's flagships... It's all just incremental upgrades. Faster processor, more RAM etc...
The G3 (for me atleast) has probably reached peak screen - any bigger and it wouldn't fit well in my pocket or hand. I can't imagine that QHD is going to be massively suppased any time soon (or even if there's any point in ever surpassing it).

You won't get battery degradation issues that make you want a new phone - you can just swap out the battery and the problem goes away.
That was my main driver for upgrading this time around otherwise I would have probably kept my old phone (non replicable battery) beyond the 2 year contract.

The G3 is nice no doubt but does it do anything my HTC One didn't? No.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Yea I love the idea of a replaceable battery. That's one of my big draws to the G3.

I guess the bigger question with this phone isn't so much the hardware stuff, I think we all understand how that works out over time. it's the software. Will LG drop you like a bad habit after XX months? Are they going to at least try to stick to the 18 month timeline Google set for OEMs?

Only time will tell ;)

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
The 2k screen and removable battery make it a great long term device. Just get a fresh battery next year and a 256GB card (they'll be cheap by then) and you are good to go for another year! :)

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The G3 is more than capable of holding its own, as is, for at least a year. Eventually, LG will start focusing its attention on the G4. If, during the second year, you feel the OS is holding you back, the G3 can be rooted. Currently, on the D851 model from T-Mobile has an unlockable bootloader. There is hope that the other variants can be unlocked shortly. Once that happens, you can flash custom ROMs that incorporate much of the latest greatest software improvements.