Unfortunately, camera has stopped

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Getting a weird one. When I am video'ing, and I try to zoom in, the camera then crashes with "Unfortunately, the camera has stopped"

I have tried with Google Camera, which I have installed, and the zoom seems to work fine, but I would rather use the LG G3 camera app

The zoom works fine when not recording, and when taking stills, but only crashes when actually recording

Edit :

Have done a full factory reset, and have just let the phone update what it needs from the Play store (google services etc), have not installed any 3rd party apps ... and still having the same problem

Initially the zoom worked, but rebooted the phone and now the camera stops again

If I zoom in to say 5x and then start teh video, it records, but as soon as I try and zoom in or out, it crashes

The phone is stock, LG-D855 and running V10h-EUR-XX

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Factory resets are a pain, am I right? Anyway since you've done the factory reset and attempted use the camera pre app install and on a virtually clean device that signals to me that you may have something more serious going on. My first feeling is that it is sensor fatigue but it is displaying the image, and you can use other apps without issue. You've done the factory reset, so if it was an issue with the stock camera app you would think that would fix it. I'd say take it to a tech and have it looked at. It really doesn't sound like something that will be simple. However I might also do another factory reset since you've just done one doing it again shouldn't hurt anything. I would remove the SD and do the wipe option first followed by the reset.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Have done a factory reset twice now, and the same problem. I am confused why if a 3rd party app works fine, why the stock app will not. If it was a problem with the camera itself, would it be the case that all apps would have this problem?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine. Did you get any kind of update recently? It feels like a bugin the app. And if it's one that a reset won't cure you may need to replace it.

Posted via Android Central App

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
When you say replace it, do you mean the phone or the app. I had an update probably a week ago, to 10h, but to be honest before that I hadnt really taken any videos's that I needed to use the zoom ... so, really it was only today that I tried using the zoom

Still cannot believe that it could be a faulty phone, seeing as other camera apps allow me to zoom

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually I meant the phone. You could also try installing the update again from the ruu file. You'll have to put the file on the root directory of your SD and restart the phone. I'm pretty sure the phone will try to install it even if it's the same update you're on. XDA Developers will have information on how to and what to do to install from the ruu. As for replacing the app you mentioned that that something liked to use the stock app. You should be able to go into manage apps, where your app associations are, and clear defaults. That should disassociate it from any app that you've chosen to open it by default. Then you'll have the choices again and be able to choose a different default app.

Posted via Android Central App

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Received a ROM update today to V10i-EUR-XX, and was hoping that the issue with the zoom on video mode might be resolved, but just checked it now, and still getting the same problem that as soon as I zoom whilst recording, I get the "unfortunately, camera has stopped"

Has anybody been able to resolve this issue. It's a pain having to have multiple camera apps