Battery help - google search??

amongtheashes

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Obviously I have the G3 and since day one, the battery has been amazing for me. I could charge it up to 100% with the Wi-Fi and data on and wake up with it still at 100% or 99% when I wake up (like an 8hr difference). Even 50% would last me the whole day. Lately, however, I've noticed the battery is draining way too quickly. I charged up to 100% last night and woke up to it at 54%.

I went to the battery settings to see what's draining the battery and it's google search taking up at least 60%. I've tried to force stop it and it still keeps going. I've tried turning off data, Wi-Fi, I always keep my brightness low, I've cleared the cache, and closed all apps and still no changes. What is going on? Is it just the google app? I've never had a problem with battery until literally maybe two days ago when this started. I thought maybe it was an app update? Anyone know how to fix this? (just typing this out it went from 54% to 43%, please help!)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There's gotta be something more than just Google Search going berzerk. That's too much of a drain! You could, however, try to check the location settings on your device. Google Search works with location-based data, but this data can drain your battery since it makes your phone to constantly report its location to Google. You'd lose some of that Google Now magic though, but it's worth a shot.

I'd suggest you download a more precise Battery Monitor app like GSam Battery Monitor to try and debug this even further.

geebee1932

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar issue and installed Greenify. Went from poor battery life to great battery life - usually at night after a full day I still have 60-70% left. Works even better if you are rooted. Check the play store for it.

amongtheashes

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I should've mentioned that I keep location turned off as well. I downloaded GSam though and it's telling me that the Android system is using all the battery. Which doesn't make sense to me, why now all of a sudden is it draining all the battery and not even lasting a whole day anymore? I installed greenify as someone else below mentioned as well, didn't make a difference either. Last night I was at 50% and put it on airplane mode to see if maybe thatd save battery as I slept since I didn't wana sleep with it charging. When I woke up, it was dead. I don't know what to do. I guess finally having great battery was fun for 2 months. Now to go back to the same horrible battery that my s3 had.

amongtheashes

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
There's gotta be something more than just Google Search going berzerk. That's too much of a drain! You could, however, try to check the location settings on your device. Google Search works with location-based data, but this data can drain your battery since it makes your phone to constantly report its location to Google. You'd lose some of that Google Now magic though, but it's worth a shot.

I'd suggest you download a more precise Battery Monitor app like GSam Battery Monitor to try and debug this even further.
Thanks for the suggestion. I should've mentioned that I keep location turned off as well. I downloaded GSam though and it's telling me that the Android system is using all the battery. Which doesn't make sense to me, why now all of a sudden is it draining all the battery and not even lasting a whole day anymore? I installed greenify as someone else below mentioned as well, didn't make a difference either. Last night I was at 50% and put it on airplane mode to see if maybe thatd save battery as I slept since I didn't wana sleep with it charging. When I woke up, it was dead. I don't know what to do. I guess finally having great battery was fun for 2 months. Now to go back to the same horrible battery that my s3 had.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Had problem like that too with my s4 I found that it was an app that I downloaded , Mi launcher was the problem went back to Nova and all normal did also safe mode start and change is amazing five hrs on and still at 92% battery ...so see what app could be doing this it system should be around 14 % in use when I had this issue it was at 43%

sent from my S4 on Mars

amongtheashes

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Had problem like that too with my s4 I found that it was an app that I downloaded , Mi launcher was the problem went back to Nova and all normal did also safe mode start and change is amazing five hrs on and still at 92% battery ...so see what app could be doing this it system should be around 14 % in use when I had this issue it was at 43%

sent from my S4 on Mars

Wow, I think I found the problem. I thought about recent apps I had downloaded since reading your post and realised I'd downloaded that Audible audio book app around the same time all this started. I uninstalled it and I charged up to 100% about a half hour ago and its still at 100%. Even GSam says the Android system is taking 9% of the battery instead of over 20% it was before. Strange to think ONE app could cause that much battery drain. Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
That is funny ...I think it may have something to do with what ur cell is based on KitKat ,jellybean etc
I have gain my battery back lol
6a9642c085c11d5571a94fa2a92a3b04.jpg

sent from my S4 on Mars