G3: Regrets? Happy? On the Fence?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The elephant in the room, at least for me, is that mysterious Nexus phone (or phones).... will it be a 5.9" phablet, or a 5.2" beastmode phone, or will Google released BOTH? I'm all set with a 6" phone... nice but I'll pass. Though, if the 5.2" phone is as they say its going to be... 805/420 SOC, QHD 5.2" display, 13MP OIS'd shooter, with maybe a few other goodies, all running that buttery smooth 'stock' Android I love so much.... now, THAT might not only get my curiosity, but my attention, provided they put a big enough battery in the thing.

Had me thinking about that option for a second, but then I remembered a Nexus won't have a removable battery or an SD card. No Sale!

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I have against this phone is the Charger is too short and when I bought a new 6ft cord it won't work yet it claimed to be for LG G3.....this sucks! Any advice on where to buy a 6ft cord and plug base???

Posted via the Android Central App

I bought these a couple of days ago and they are heavy duty and I've had no problem charging the g3 with them.

Cable Matters 2 Pack, Gold Plated Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Type A to Micro-B Cable 6 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007IIT8K...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3890040

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm very happy with my purchase and when I sold my Samsung Galaxy S5 I knew I made the right decision.

Not only LG improved the UI but for the first time I actually don't mind using the Stock Launcher, the only other that came close was hTc's Sense 6.

The G3 IMO is the best Super Phone of 2014!

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The LG G3 is definitely the first stock launcher that I have actually used over my Nova launcher. There is alot of customization that can be done with it.

Posted via Android Central App

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
On the fence for sure.
I love the phone as far as looks and specs but it has flaws.
Too many reboots and overheating going on.
No heat warnings at all and I had to remove the battery once.
Maybe an update will fix overheating issues.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I love the amazing size, the battery life, the knock code, the icon customizations, and the camera.
The screen doesn't wow me like it does others. Just my opinion but I find it overrated. I love it, don't get me wrong, but there is not enough stuff out to really take advantage of it and the videos that came with it sucked. I wanted something with more color and more of a "wow" factor.
The lag is a pain sometimes, but its nothing a software update won't fix. All in all, I am happy with the device and love how well rounded LG made the phone.

Verizon g3

You can watch YouTube videos in 1440p as one way to take advantage of the display. I agree with you. It does stutter a bit from time to time. Not as fluid as sense 6.0

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Had me thinking about that option for a second, but then I remembered a Nexus won't have a removable battery or an SD card. No Sale!

I'm not so concerned with either possibility. I have the 3/32 G3 and my SD card slot is still vacant.... I might put on in, but I haven't really had much of a need. Same for the battery, I don't have a spare so I don't swap.... If they put something in the 3000mah range, I might be tempted to switch out again. Much as I think my G3 is quite the rig, I'm a Nexus user at heart and miss the platform.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The benefit of a replaceable battery isn't just that you can hot swap a spare, although I've done that with my current phone often enough. The unspoken secret of the industry is that batteries start to lose capacity pretty quickly. You won't notice it much in the first year, but by the end of the second year battery life is noticeably shorter than when new. If you get a new phone every year or two it may not matter much, but with the industry starting to move away from the subsidize model I suspect the average consumer will want to keep their phones longer, and be frustrated when the battery won't keep up. Imagine you had to trade your car in because the battery died.

As for the SD card, I definitely have more than 32GB combined between my internal and external memory.

I realize these things aren't important to everyone, but they are important to some.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The benefit of a replaceable battery isn't just that you can hot swap a spare, although I've done that with my current phone often enough. The unspoken secret of the industry is that batteries start to lose capacity pretty quickly. You won't notice it much in the first year, but by the end of the second year battery life is noticeably shorter than when new. If you get a new phone every year or two it may not matter much, but with the industry starting to move away from the subsidize model I suspect the average consumer will want to keep their phones longer, and be frustrated when the battery won't keep up. Imagine you had to trade your car in because the battery died.

That is a valid point. Though, I guess it all depends on the construction... . I had a Nexus 5 prior to my G3, and with the right little tool, you could pop that back cover off without much fuss. Outside of some clips, there was a tiny dab of adhesive along the bottom, but nothing hard. Replacing the Nexus 5 battery was pretty easy to do. Will the next gen be as easily repairable? Who knows..... but I suspect that Google does try to keep things simple... as replacing a Nexus 7 battery is just as easy to do. So I hope that this will continue.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
. Will the next gen be as easily repairable? Who knows..... but I suspect that Google does try to keep things simple... as replacing a Nexus 7 battery is just as easy to do. So I hope that this will continue.

Hopefully so. Not all manufacturers are as accommodating. Someone told me Motorola quoted $170 to replace a battery. And the HTC One looks to be a bear to take apart. Nearly impossible to do without breaking something.

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Really like it and what a deal. BB price matched Amazon [49.99] plus gave me 55 for my old S3, so with a Zagg screensaver I only paid 25. So far I love it. All day battery life and a great screen. Win for me.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^I was staggered for a minute....a G3 for $50?...until I realised that you must be talking about a contract phone. Even so....

I guess that BB is something like UK's Carphone Warehouse.

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
In an earlier post in this thread I mentioned having read somewhere that G3 sales had exceeded 10 million. There's almost no hope now of remembering for certain where I read that, but it may have been this, dated 29th Aug:

http://www.androidorigin.com/lg-g3-sales-10-million/

Even if the author was mistaken at the time, sales may be close to, or even have exceeded, 10 million by now, 18th Sept.

Last edited:

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
So glad I made the switch from Samsung! The G3 puts my wife's S5 to shame (looks, feel, speed, etc, etc, etc). And this is so much more customizable than any Sammy phone out of the box.

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So glad I made the switch from Samsung! The G3 puts my wife's S5 to shame (looks, feel, speed, etc, etc, etc). And this is so much more customizable than any Sammy phone out of the box.

That's pretty astonishing when every benchmark test puts the samsung s5 ahead.

And that's only one of the reasons I am slightly on the fence. I originally went to the t-mobile store with the intention of buying the samsung S5, and switching service from my AT&T iphone 4S (which I've had since release). The salesperson showed me the G3, and I was wowed by the huge screen. And TBH, the screen is both the crowning glory and the thorn in its side. I love how it looks, I love running kindle app on it, and reading - mine is adjusted to look much like paper, and I just don't get that headache I used to get reading it. Also T-Mobile did not have a 32gb model S5 - and the LG G3 32gb was in stock. Being bowled over by the 5.5" qHD screen (at least in the store), I took the phone home.

I had battery issues for the first couple of days, by day three it ironed out and now it seems battery lasts all day. But to be fair, I have to leave the screen on auto-dim. If I set it to the level I want, battery use goes way up. And there's the rub - the auto-dim level on the phone just lacks the contrast of the S5. It kills me that it has better pixelation, and worse contrast. So it looks great in dim lighting, and outside it's washed out. I have played with the contrast and saturation controls under accessibility and it's till not great. It's barely usable in direct sunlight for me (and I have terrible eyesight, so YMMV).

On top of that I have read all the GSM benchmark tests, and repeated them myself. I did it both with the screen native qhd and then using resolution changer to drop it down to 1920x1080p - and surprise of surprise, the results were WORSE on 1080p (I can't figure that out). So, yeah, my phone is rooted and it comes from t-mobile with an unlocked bootloader, so that part's really cool. But the benchmarks performing substantially lower was concerning...

And then on the other hand I know it's all about user experience, not just benchmarks. Hell I lived with a iphone 4s forever...

I am on the fence. Perhaps if t-mobile didn't have that 14 day return policy on the phone, I wouldn't care. Part of me wishes I bought the S5, as before I'd gone in everything I read pointed me right to it. And part of me is glad I bought the G3.

I do think the G3 kills it on screen resolution and size, UI, feel of the phone, design of the phone, user experience.

I think samsung just smashes the contrast barrier for all phones in bright sunlight. And that's the nagging part. I live in AZ, it gets extremely bright outside, lol, and it's hot as freakin hell.

What to do? Hellifiknow.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I got into an argument today from an isheep user saying my g3 was too big. When I told him the new iPhone is only .25 inches shorter but has a .75 smaller screen he didnt have much too say!!!

Isheep. I love that saying. I heard about Crapple too.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
. I did it both with the screen native qhd and then using resolution changer to drop it down to 1920x1080p - and surprise of surprise, the results were WORSE on 1080p (I can't figure that out)..

1080 isn't the native resolution... Everything is optimized for the full QHD. Graphic performance suffers since they never intended for the screen to drive it at that res...it has to do extra work.

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Overall I'm very pleased with the G3. But the radio is definitely weaker than my other phones. It doesn't present a problem except in areas that are on the fringe. In that case I jump from LTE to 4G to no service to 4G, etc. This just happens to be at my desk at work. It wasn't this way the first 2 weeks of course. It appears to be a capacity issue on the tower closest to my office. At the end of the day when people are leaving work my phone does better on the signal. I know it's this phone as my iPhone and HTC One don't have the issue.